main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EXPLOSIONS IN LONDON!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MANDALORIAN, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sifu

Sifu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 1999
    Actually, Muslims do wear Turbans. That's where the Sikhs copied it from.

2. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

As an american and as an ex-Marine who had the deep honour of working with the Royal Marines here and abroad, I can only say that my heart truly bleeds for your loss. May the Force be with you all.

3. Catherinerofa

Catherinerofa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2005
    I am from the American South. My thoughts are with those in London at this terrible time.

4. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Raskolnikov, your from Kashmir, making you a Muslim, right? Then why were you posting those comments about Islam? I won't quote you since they were so disgusting, but how can you say things like that about a religion that you belong to you? Essentially, you were aiming those comments to yourself, if you are a Muslim as you say so.

I don't know. But that post you made before, and the one you've made now sound as if they've come from two differnet people. Not that I'm implying anything...

Back on topic, I just want to say how shocked I am by how many people actually got injured. I was hoping that the numbers would be VERY low, but 700? That is not good. Any number of injured people is bad, but after hearing that the explosions were not very big, I didn't expect the injury toll to reach 700. It just goes to show that even small explosions can affect hundreds of lives - lives that will never be the same again.

My thoughts go out to everyone involved.

5. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    There is no such thing as an EX Marine.

;)

6. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2003
    Dear GOD NO i'm not a Muslim, and just because somebody is from Kashmir doesn't make them a Muslim. For your information, Kashmir used to be mainly Hindu and Buddhist before the barbaric Moghuls invaded India from the West and started raping, forcibly converting and pillaging all the way into North India ---> FACT

Now we the rightful inhabitants are reduced only to a quarter of the population (and don't even get me started on Pakistan and Afghanistan which both had major Hindu/Buddhist/Sikh populations before Muslims invaded). The remaining Hindus/Buddhists of the region have become fed up with Islamic Terrorism and the primitive archaic ways that the Muslims enforce on everyone else and they are now moving away - but who can blame them? Remember what happened in Afghanistan with the Buddhist Statues - or the fact that up until recently, Hindus in Afghanistan had to wear yellow armbands to show they were Hindu? But a brave few of the rightful inhabitants have stayed on and I hope we one day reclaim our beautiful state from the grips of the outdated thinking that was swept into India with the invading Moghuls.

Now I know it may be hard for you to accept, but Islam was only founded circa 1350 years ago, making it the world's youngest Major religion. Hindus and Buddhists spread all the way into Afghanistan and bordered the Persians (with their ancient Zoroastrian religion) for hundreds of years before the religion of Islam was even conjured up in the deserts of the Arab Penninsula and spread eastwards like a plague.

I sound like two different people because my first post was pure unadulterated sarcasm, while my second post illustrated why I used said sarcasm.

7. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    It is my understanding that both Christianity and Islam draw the start of their teachings/religious belief from the ancient text we know as the Old Testament, and that both of them follow that set of books up with their own - basically in the Old Testament it talks of a prophet of God coming down to help the children of God, and to Christianity that was obviously Jesus Christ who was alleged to have been born in what we refer to as 0AD/CE (The New Testament is the second part of their Bible) whereas for Islam Christ was not the prophet predicted in the OT, rather it was Mohammed who born in Mecca in 570 AD/CE who was the chosen prophet. Islam has its own main book called the Qur'an or Koran/Kuran -

"The Koran (Kuran, Qur'an) is the Islamic Bible, believed to be an exact record of the words revealed by God through the Angel Gabriel to the Prophet Mohammed. Its basic theme is the relationship between God and his creations, yet at the same time, it provides guidelines for a just society, proper human conduct, and an equitable economic system."

[ http://www.guidetoturkey.com/aboutturkey/info_tips/religion/religion.asp ]

It is interesting to note that Judaism which also has the Old Testament as its holy book, does not see either Christ or Mohammed as the predicted prophets. I believe for the Jews there has no been prophet as predicted in the OT yet. So all of these religions draw from the same very ancient source, though they branch out from this source in who they believe is the prophet said to be sent by God to Mankind. So using the argument that Islam is the youngest religion doesn't really say much to be honest. The OT has many "wait and see" issues, Islam just does not believe Christ was the one predicted. Hinduism is as old as the OT, no one knows which came first. But I can tell you one small thing about nearly all religions - from the current big ones such as Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, Judaism to ancient dead ones such as that of ancient Mesopotamia and Egypt to the Aztecs and Maya of central / south America - they all have somewhere in their belief system a legend of a great Flood. Curious huh? I think in Hinduism there is even a person called Noah or near-enough approximation involved with the Hindu Flood. I only learned of this legend through someone who archeaologists have no time for - Graham Hancock. He may have faulty theories on ocassion, but I am nearly 100% certain he IS onto something that modern archaeology denies ferociously - check him out here ( http://www.grahamhancock.com/news/index.php )

So don't slag of Islam (or Chritianity for that matter) just because their prophet was born more recently than say Christ or the Hindu gods. Because Islam's foundation goes back as far.

8. Baza

Baza Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    I always like that; that most religions foundations are the same with the Old Testament. It links all the religions so nicely and you realise that the differences between them have only come about in the past 2000 years because they believed different men were their Messiah.
    Makes you think...

9. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    As an Athiest , archaeologist / historian. I have no time for religion today, if it helps people fair enough but what ever religion you are, dont look down on me because I dont believe. Ironically studying archaeological sites for evidence supporting the events that happen in religious texts is fascinating. For me, studying history shows you nothing is new, everything has happened before and it makes me wonder what course history would have taken without any religion.

10. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Therein lies the split.

Abraham's two sons; Isaac (Israel) & Ishmael (Palestine).

One only needs a glance to see how they're getting on. ;)

11. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    I dont know. Some times I think I may just go live in a cave in Derbyshire

12. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Challenging times, live in we do...times for a Jedi perspective, presence and voice in our communities is it...caves, must not go....[face_shame_on_you]

Our diversity makes us stronger, under one banner.;)

MTFBWY - always.

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't know which is worse. Terrorists or this.

"Commuters who were caught up in the London bombings have accused some of the city's hotels of trying to profit from the tragedy.

They say prices at a number of London's hotels increased by more than double last night, as thousands of workers found themselves stranded in the city.

A spokesman for the Trading Standards Institute said profiteering after an act of terrorism was reprehensible.

With the transport networks down and no way of returning home, one businessman from Manchester says he was forced to pay 250 pounds for an 80 pound room.

- BBC"

EDIT:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200507/s1410324.htm

14. mvwg3003

mvwg3003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Was watching Newsnight (I love Jeremy Paxman :p) and it was suggested that the bombs could all have been planted as the tubes were travelling through King's Cross. The No. 30 bus also passes Kings Cross.

They are also saying that the evidence so far indicates that the tube bombs were not suicide but that the bus blast could have been - this would be why the Police did not confirm the two deaths spoken of by the doctors who attended to the victims.

EDIT: If that is true Halibut, that is disgusting.

15. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    If what Hal says is true they should be shot.

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    http://mediamatters.org/items/200507070007

And some bloke in America's thoughts about the attack is "Time to buy" stocks as the market fell.

But I can understand that. I'm sure lots of people thought the same thing. After all, we had that e-mail "time to bury bad news" scandal on 9/11

17. mvwg3003

Jan 10, 2005
    I never got that, what was it?

18. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    SOme PR person for the government sent an email saying because of 9/11 it was a good time to release unpopular stories because no one would pay attention to them, and then later they could turn around and say well we did tell you about it.

19. mvwg3003

Jan 10, 2005
    Morons.

20. veritasuk

Sep 8, 2004
    thats politics for you

21. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    I was listening to the updates on this tragedy this morning and I wanted to just say my heart still goes out to you all. You are all in my prayers and I hope those who are responsible get what's coming to them one way or another.

Now this about hotels raising prices during this, disgusting!! :mad:

22. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    ....as an ex-hotelier and strategy manager from the PLC league of chains, I would very much doubt if the larger hotels has up-ed their prices after the bombings.

Trust me - after Sep 11th in the US, the hospitality industry learnt a lot of lessons, but one of them wasnt cashing in on tradgedy, and because of 911 I personally had to plough through redundancies and restructures following it (that was of course until it was my turn...:) ) and deal with the utter fallout of the industry afterwards, for the next 3 years. Only just recovering, these London bombings will pretty much put the nail in the coffin for a lot of people in the long term - and I mean a lot (company I worked for went from 6k emplyees to 4500 to give you reality over those three years).

The Hilton London Metropole hotel was commended on converting many of its facilities and rooms to triage on the day.

If it happened, it must have been the hotels from the minor leagues that sadly many of us have to resort to to be able to afford London mostly these days..(u know - those scum bucket cheapos where fire exits are chained up and your bags vanish mysteriously from your room....). If it happened, I am certain that hopitality bodies will deal with them in time. Things like that do not go unnoticed.

Here starteth more change for many peoples lives in many industies...

The only constant in this life is change. [face_praying]

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I would like to express my deepest condolences to the people of London for the deaths in the horrible terrorist attacks that you all had to experience. As an American watching this on the news, I could not but remember the sadness that I felt on the morning of Spetember 11th. The people of London showed the world the same courage and fortitude that they have always shown. Whether during the Battle of Britain during World War Two or in the face of IRA bombings, the people of Great Britain have always shown an excellent example of calm in the face of tragedy.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Given the nature of friendship between the United States and Great Britain, I use the following analogy:

If my best friend was hurt or sad, I would comfort them and stand with them. In that same spirit, the United States stands alongside it's best friend. Know that millions of Americans as well as people from all over the world mourn with you.

Anyways, sorry for interupting your conversations. I just wanted to let you know that people from all over the world have you all in our prayers.

--Adm. Nick

24. FlyShearn

FlyShearn Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2005
    Thanks to everyone sending their condolences and prayers to the people of the UK being such a small island, i think everyone knows somebody that was affected by yesturdays attacks. We will not be swayed by these attacks, the force is our ally and a powerful ally it is.

25. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I am the same as you Ves, though if you used a Christian term for me it would be more agnostic, rather than atheist. And I can tell you I have had way too many discussions with people over the whole "Why don't you belong to XXX religion". Still no one has convinced me about why I should pick one over the other.

Though I haven't done any archaeological digs, my interest and study at university in medieval art history has meant that I had to study several of the World's religions to understand just why they made the art/artifacts they did. I may never be a believer, but it is all so interesting. I love symbology, and medieval art is full of it, especially symbols with religious meaning. Hieronymus Bosch is one of my favourite artists - his stuff is so freaky and warped. Anyways I diverge, sorry.

If the hotel thing is true, then the particular hotels involved in this atrocious profiteering should be named and shamed, then avoided like they had the Black Death. See if they increase their profits then. And the US anchorman SHOULD apologise for his comments. It was inhumane to think of profits rather than a human tragedy and say them LIVE on air.
    The whole scandal here that we should bury bad news on days like 9/11 which was leaked from a government office in 2001 was another act of insenstivity by a stupid, selfish woman. Who then lost her job. Seems that ruthlessness is more admired than humanity nowadays, so much for the human race.

Way too many scumbags everywhere. I have to deal with rubbish like this from the uneducated muppets I call work colleagues - white Brits btw before u get confused at my next comment. If they aren't even affected in the slightest by this event (aka show sorrow and remorse), then they should get the **** out of Britain (since they keep telling me the ethnic minorities should do exactly that - those who scab on our social welfare they say) since it means so little to them. Double standards make me real angry. I don't care when people are not bothered about politics and elections because politics is so corrupt and I just have no way of trusting politicians myself, but when people have died in our country in such a way, you are either a Brit who is upset or you are not a Brit. And you don't belong in our society. Our people matter, our country matters. End of story for me.

Edit: Thanks to AdmiralNick22 for the post, one EU fan to another ;)

Edit: TIM!!! The whole word!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.