main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EXPLOSIONS IN LONDON!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MANDALORIAN, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

i think everyone knows somebody that was affected by yesturdays attacks

I thank you for your condolences. But, Good Lord, we're not that small! :)

2. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    lol land wise we are, population we have about double of Canada :p

3. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Hey people,

Well made it into Central London today - drove in. Was quite surreal - traffic was running smooth, save for the 'usual' accidents and breakdowns. The only visible difference to me was extra police on the Euston Road (go figure!) and of course the cordon still active around the Russell Square area.

There were tourists on the streets, people in offices, students trying to get to lectures (summer resits I'd assume :p). All my city friends are back to work too. London is getting back to normal! Have to admire and respect the resilience of Londoners and their determination to get on with their lives.

The rising fatality numbers, and news that there are still bodies trapped in the picadilly line tunnel, is harrowing and my thoughts and best wishes are with the friends and families of the victims of these attacks.

4. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I haven't had chance to say how sorry I was to hear about the tragedy in London, there is never an excuse for the loss of innocent life and I hope that those responsible are held to account. Praise must be lavished on those in London who dug in together to ensure the death count remained as low as possible. My thoughts are with those who have been touched by this whole event.

Interestingly enough, on the morning of the attack I was reading an article by Steve Redgrave saying that the single most important factor in London getting the Olympics was the influence of Tony Blair, a day later some argued by the same token that he was again the single most important factor in London being bombed (Iraq. Reference George Galloway's comments). Firstly, can I iterate that as critcal of Blair as I am, I personally don't feel this is the case. I just thought it was an interesting point.

[face_monkey]

5. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I thought since I had a chance I'd come over and say that I am truly sorry about what has happened. There's so much sensless violence in the world...

6. mvwg3003

mvwg3003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Arrests over London bomb attacks

They're tracking them down...

BBC News 24 have literally just reported that they think all four bombers involved are dead i.e. they were suicide bombers, BUT they are still keeping an open mind. The three tube ones being suicide bombings but that the bus bomb may have been accidental.

----

The inevitable: BNP campaign uses bus bomb photo

7. To_Mega_Therion

To_Mega_Therion Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005
    That would make sense. There's all the stuff going on in Leeds now too. [face_worried]

8. Baza

Baza Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    I hate the BNP so much!!! :mad:

9. mvwg3003

Jan 10, 2005
    It's just sick.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Apparently a bombers car has been found in Luton. Which makes me feel bad, as its my nextdoor town....and people from where my Nan lives killed people in London....

And a controlled explosion too, I hear, station shut....

*sighs in annoyance and confusion*

11. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    The BNP are just plain sick using that picture.
    They are a pain in the ****.
    They are no better than the terrorists themselves.

12. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    BNP arn't popular enough to be using radical pictures like that, IMO. thier audience is very selective anyway and doing this could easily make that percentage even less

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Bloody Fascists!! :mad:

14. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2003
    Isn't this interesting...

British-born Suicide Bombers

All four bombers were British-born and of Pakistani origin. I'm shocked to find they were born here (although not that they were Pakistani - a country and culture synonymous with Islamic Terrorism). What this illustrates to me is that even here in modern and enlightened Britain, "extremists" are born and bred - just like in all the other damn countries where these barbarians are born and in turn where they kill innocent INDIGENOUS people. Of course,the politically correct mindset that has ravaged this country is going to analyze ad nauseam how this could have happened, all while ignoring the real answer that is staring them right in the face (ask the Israelis, ask the Indians - they'll let you in on the secret since Islamic terrorism is not new to them). Still think the religion is peaceful?

Also found this to be interesting as a parallel news event...

Dutch film-maker Van Gogh's killer: "I acted purely in the name of my religion..."

Read the article: see why the guy did it and what he did to Van Gogh.

15. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    *looks at Raskolnikov's sig*

Well you found me [:D]

I'd have been more suprised if they Hadnt been British.

16. Raskolnikov

Nov 15, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Ha! So I have Veritasuk. Are you ready to give me all the answers to life?

17. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    ....thanks for that link R, yes, interesting is the word....also, this is quite pertinent for people who use e mail (just a couple of us....)...see what they try to 'slip in' while the world is still reeling...nothing changes hey...just keep on your toes...terrorists dont just plant bombs and yes, they wear pinstrip suits too [face_worried]

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13386136,00.html

If you want to take find out more about the BNP or take an active stand against the BNP, then go here for more info =D=

http://www.uaf.org.uk/

18. Raskolnikov

Nov 15, 2003
    Don't let the absurdity of the BNP cause you to cease thinking about why this is happening here in Britain.

If questioning how and why this event occurred now suddenly puts you in the same league as the BNP, then let the PC police continue to tell us what we *should* be feeling (something I predicted in my former post). We have to address the issue, not ignore it or pussy-foot around the real cause in an effort not to *offend* anyone. 53 people died in London last week - let's make sure it doesn't happen again by ignoring what's really going on.

19. mvwg3003

Jan 10, 2005
    What is the issue here Raskolnikov?

24 innocent children died in Iraq today. Muslim or not, that is an atrocity - they were apparently handing out sweets with American soldiers. Imagine how their parents feel, the bombers would claim that these children died in the name of Islam. I'm sure the parents wish their children were still alive instead of being martyrs in 'Paradise'.

20. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    R - think you need to chill mate.

Life is not one single issue, but we all play our part in many of the issues that are close to us, affect our lives daily and are relevant to us. Where we can play an active part, then we do. We are Jedi in many ways and through action in many causes - some simply by means of shared opinion, some direct action. As I have said before, diversity makes us stronger - but not to the point where we implode because there is no reality, or fanatisism takes over. I have seen many people go this way in the past, only to disappear up ther own backsides.

In the UK however, the BNP do gain media coverage for their 'friendly fascist' politics and media methods (we wouldnt be discussing this otherwise, would we....) - this doesnt happen by chance. But it DOES influence how a lot of people think who can be 'swayed' by their methods.

Unless you advocate a terrorist approach, where exactly do you stand? You would fight individual and group terrorism wherever it rears its ugly head. It is right therefore that fascism is fought at every corner wherever it rears its head, as in essence it is part and parcel of the society we live in today, the politics and methodology of some politicians and through recent history. What were the World Wars about....its not just individual terrorism events that go on, like London, that we need to be aware of.

Where people ask questions, they need answers, not silencing or channeling.

Sorry for the rant - but while supposed free speech exists, the BNP do not stand in my constituency and I have the will power to oppose the 'dark side' - I will. [face_mischief]

21. Raskolnikov

Nov 15, 2003
    The issue here is stopping Islamic Terrorism in all its vast and numerous forms around the world and making sure it stops full stop here in Britain. The side issue is understanding why Islamic Terrorism happens so frequently with Muslims of all colors and races across a gamut of countries. Is it a global persecution complex? Is it violence that is inherrant in the religion?

I hope that this is plain enough for you.

22. mvwg3003

Jan 10, 2005
    Yes that is plain enough for me.
    How do you propose the governments of the world stop terrorism? Terrorism has always existed, and it will continue to exist.

23. Baza

Baza Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    Wherever there are discontented people, there are going to be some who think their means justifies the end. There's no way to stop terrorist groups forming but what we can do is try to stop them hurting innocent people like in the bombings.

In short, there's no quick, easy solution to combatting terrorism. You can't just declare a War on Terror because it's not that simple.

24. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    R...is it religion then that is the 'problem' then?

Personally, I think it is PEACE that is hard to come to terms with - when tolerance wears thin, current social systems dont encourage it (only when it suits the ends of the few) and those who will impose their will on others take actions, such as London (...and Madrid, NY and add probably every country in the world to that list - are we so shocked that it has happened to the British 'Empire'?).

ter·ror·ism (tr-rzm) n.
    The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organised group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons

How do you interpret this kooky 'religion' then that I stumbled over? They have some sort of 'code'...? Goes something like this...

There is no emotion; there is peace.
    There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
    There is no passion; there is serenity.
    There is no death; there is the Force.

Dont know which deep literay scholar came up with that one....should we be concerned? Do they need ID cards? [face_praying]

No justice, no peace.[face_shame_on_you]

Keep talking, but stand together.

25. Raskolnikov

Nov 15, 2003
    I don't need anyone telling me to chill or telling me what the platitudes of the poor innocents in Iraq are. What about the innocent people in London last week? Don't they deserve justice? What about the people in Madrid last year? I suppose they just don't fit into your anti-america or whatever agenda i'm sure.

Unlike most of you, my life has been SHAPED by Islamo-fascism and therefore I have a unique perspective on all this. Terrorism is new to most of you - i've had to live with the knowledge of what these monsters do in the name of religion for most of my life:

Age 5: My family and I have to leave our ancestral home of Kashmir because of the violence of Muslim separatists

Age 12: I find out that 2 of my relatives have been be-headed by Muslim seperatists while on a pilgrimage taken by my ancestors for hundreds of years - simply because they are not Muslim

Age 21: Studying in the USA, 9-11 happens. Not only am I outraged that this has happened in my newly-adopted home, but I also get a glass bottle lobbed at my head by some passing yokel while walking home (8 stitches, hospital for 4 days). I had a lot to think about while in the hospital

Age 24: Studying in Scotland, London bombings happen. Not only am I pissed because yet again, Muslim terrorists have struck the last place I thought they would ever strike but I also get harassed everyday I go out now simply because I look like an "arab". Unlike other members of the Indian community, I'm not mad at the people who judge me because I *look* like a terrorist. I'm mad at the terrorists themselves for making this happen.

When's it going to end? How many more innocents being blown up will it take for people to stop defending something they know nothing about? I'm frankly tired of all the talking points on behalf of politicians who are interested in keeping their voter base or bloggers who *think* they have some sort of moral high-ground on the issue because hey, they can say that "Islam is peaceful" over and over and believe it. I don't want to hear what I should be thinking, I want to get to the heart of the matter and see results. No more talk. No more bombings. No more killings. Obviously treating these animals like fellow human beings isn't working so perhaps we need to change our strategy.

So please - spare me from your misguided (and uninformed) notions of justice and righteousness. Ask one of the countless families from around the world that have been affected by Islamo-fascism (perhaps the parents of those children that were massacred in Russia last year by Muslim "separatists" - I'm sure their perception of what's going on here in Britain is rooted much more in reality than the pc-types here in Britain who are trying to assign blame everywhere except where it needs to be placed).

If I see a spade, i'm going to call it a spade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.