main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I rolled a new Divinity: Original Sin II game just so I could play it on my Switch. [​IMG]

On the bright side because there are so many goddamn builds possible I'm getting a good excuse to **** around with necromancy (which is really more like blood magic) in a way I never did before. This has turned my Godwoken into the world's most amiable vampire, and also I exclusively put out fires using literal blood rain that I can then force my party members to drink in order to heal. It's pretty metal.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Point Given and solojones like this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Too bad it's in the wrong bloody place :p

I still have to look at my Switch sometimes to remember which button is where. Such is the fate of someone who didn't have a SNES.

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's literally the SNES setup with shapes with 1, 2, 3, and 4 sides in lieu of A, B, X, and Y. It's not Sony's fault a bunch of US developers arbitrarily decided X meant confirm. :p

Now what is bad is when you have literal representations of Dualshock 4 d-pad buttons in PS4 games, so you have to mentally think about how "house shape" means "down." Just put a down arrow like the rest of the world, you monsters.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Guess what I've been playing all weekend.

[​IMG]

Ramza likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Or a GCN or a DS or a Wii Classic Controller or a 3DS or a Wii U... ;)

It's the SNES setup, sure- but I think they were so worried about being sued after breaking away from the SNES CD-ROM that they didn't want to keep the traditional alphanumeric labeling that every other controller used (except for the L & R triggers because, hey, **** you, logical consistency!). So they decided Sony gamers would, instead, have to open a stargate every time they wanted to play a game.

[​IMG]
    "Jackson has identified the seventh symbol! We can play the movie now!"

One reason I will never play a fighting game on a PS platform- remembering moves is hard enough without having to not only adjust them across platforms but translate the life history of Tutankhamen just to pull off a fatality. ;)

The only thing the DualShock ever did right was placing the sticks symmetrically- even if they're clearly just slapped on and in the wrong place. But that's another topic.

It is pretty funny, though, that Sony is basically taking the only face button that shared a consistency with other controllers and are changing it to remove that familiarity. However, I grant that it does make sense that all the face buttons are now shape references (but, then, still, triggers and stick clicks [face_dunno]).

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    See I've played PlayStation for so long now that those are the configuration of buttons for all controllers in my mind. I know them instinctively and switching back and forth between that and Switch is very confusing.

8. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I can't say I've ever had an issue with the order or symbols used on face buttons. The only issue I've had is the Switch's + and - symbols. Still throws me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast launch (on 9/9/99). Some interesting innovations tried through that console (online functionality, VMUs, a home menu screen, etc). While I was never that impressed by it (just not a Sonic fan, even in 3D; and the arcade ports were often not of games I had a particular connection to), I did pick one up for a few titles when the system started to go on clearance.

So my library is limited to House of the Dead 2 (but, like the NES Zapper, the light gun it came with isn't compatible with modern TV's, alas), Jedi Power Battles (watching the QuickTime file of the intro video on my computer over and over ensured I'd have to play it eventually) and Marvel vs Capcom 2 (because the PS2 version was apparently harder to get and was going for 2-4x what I could get the DC version for. And the DC version is supposedly the superior/definitive version anyways, so that's a bonus). Though I do have the later GCN port of Skies of Arcadia as well.

However, while the controller was innovative in some ways (and certainly a huge improvement over the Saturn 3D Controller, which is probably the worst controller ever made), i lacked in the ergonomic department considerably- it's the only controller that ever gave me hand cramps from using it. Getting a Madcatz controller for the system was pretty much a mandatory expense (eve if the the extra two face buttons kinda got in the way).

Well, those have replaced Start and Select since the original Wii. Their placement on the JoyCons can be a little odd, though- even inside a Grip.

I can understand muscle memory forming eventually- I may feel the DualShock is kinda terrible as a controller but it's certainly usable given that SNES DNA, and the DS4 is an improvement over the prior iterations, for the most part- at least as far as ergonomics go.

But, even then, there still has to be that added level of obfuscation to get past for more complex inputs, if only for those using Arabic alphanumeric-based written languages (being naturally inclined to process information/instructions in alphanumeric form versus symbols). However, the PSX's Japanese origin would explain why it might not be a problem over there as an option since they'd be used to kanji and other symbol-based writing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

*Insert "Must Crush Capitalism" gif here.*

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    See I happen to think the DS4 is the best controller.

And wow, that long since Dreamcast, huh? I own two of them. That's how I fell in love with Shenmue when I was 12. First game I remember actually playing all the way through and beating (I could never beat most NES or Genesis games, and I mostly helped my brother navigate puzzles on N64 games.... would have finished OOT if the Gameshark hadn't eaten my save).

The2ndQuest likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Speaking of unhealthy attachments to advertising, the real reason to love the Dreamcast is to honor the noble sacrifice of Segata Sanshiro.

セガサターン、シロ!

13. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Had my first perma deaths in Fire Emblem, Sylvain and Ferdinand. Can't say I'm too upset, they both seemed to be insufferable. The important thing is I kept Petra and Dorothea alive.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    How dare you insult my Sylvain like that!

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sylvain's great but you have to commit to finding out why he's great in a way that the initial presentation of his characterization totally discourages. It's a thin, thin line.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    solojones likes this.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I haven't used anything but a PS based controller for years now. And I didn't like it at first because of the symbols not providing an intuitive layout. Just took a while to get it locked into my head, but they're in there now. I feel like I could go back to ABXY scheme without many problems though. I think it would still feel pretty intuitive.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Well, I'm sure I'll have another playthrough as one of the other houses so maybe I'll get to know him better. Unfortunately, he was the first of the Black Eagles to fall. Sucks to be him.
    Yeah, my Byleth called him out on his sexist BS shortly before he died.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's basically what I mean- you can obviously use it and get used to it, but it just seems like such an unnecessary added hurdle or learning curve.

It has better ergonomics than the DS2 & DS3- doesn't feel as flimsy or as bulgy. Nor is it as clunky and ugly as the DS1 (which was basically just Frankenstein's monster and should burn in a fire). I've never liked their D-pad (having separate buttons and such- an aspect I dislike about JoyCons as well) or their sticks (they always felt loose, with the wider tops just adding to a sense of wobbliness; though the DS4 might be slightly better there but I'm not sure about that). The blue light also shouldn't really be there and is just a left-over spleen from the failed Move controller endeavors and just seems like a really unnecessary battery drain.

Though I'd be willing to overlook those aspects a little if they swapped the sticks to be in the top position and the D-pad/face buttons to be in the lower position. But that's probably not going to happen at this point- they're only located there because that's how the DS1 slapped on analog sticks to the existing design, and by time analog sticks became the dominant form of control/input over the D-pad, they were already too set in their ways with the PS2's success and it was too late to go back.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Apple Arcade has been dated and priced.

$4.99/month, compatible with family sharing plans and a 1-month free trial. Launches Sept 19th, with 100 titles available at launch. The Apple event yesterday featured Frogger in Toy Town from Konami and an underwater platformer from Capcom called Shinsekai: Into The Depths. Annapurna also revealed that Sayonara Wild Hearts was also coming to the platform.

Here's a list of new and exclusives:

“Ballistic Baseball” from Gameloft, is an action-packed arcade baseball game that captures the intense battle between pitcher and batter in live head-to-head multiplayer matches.

“ChuChu Rocket! Universe” explodes as Sega launches the beloved ChuChus into a universe of strange and wonderful planets with over 100 mind-bending puzzles.

In “Exit the Gungeon” from Devolver, players must escape a collapsing hell dungeon as increasingly perilous obstacles and opponents stand in their way.

“Overland” from Finji, is a post-apocalyptic road trip adventure where players fight dangerous creatures, rescue stranded travelers and scavenge for supplies to survive.

“PAC-MAN PARTY ROYALE” from Bandai Namco, is a brand-new arcade experience featuring a four-player Battle Mode where the last PAC-MAN standing wins.

In “Projection: First Light” from Blowfish, players follow the adventures of Greta, a girl living in a mythological shadow puppet world as she embarks on a journey of self-enlightenment, helped by legendary heroes from ancient cultures along the way.

In “Rayman Mini” from Ubisoft, Rayman has been reduced to the size of an ant! Players use insects, mushrooms and plants to run through the world as quickly as possible or try over and over again to achieve the perfect score.

In “Shantae and the Seven Sirens” from WayForward, players explore a vast sunken city and battle the Seven Sirens in the Half-Genie’s most thrilling adventure yet.

Skate City” from Snowman brings the heart and soul of street skating to life with multi-touch controls as city streets become the ultimate skater playground.

In “Sneaky Sasquatch” from RAC7, players live the life of a Sasquatch and do regular, everyday Sasquatch stuff like sneaking around in disguise, raiding coolers and picnic baskets, playing golf and more.

Steven Universe: Unleash the Light,” is an original Cartoon Network game, co-written by Rebecca Sugar, where players pick their favorite characters, choose which Gems are in their party, unlock awesome new abilities and equip alternate costumes in the ultimate mobile role-playing game (RPG).

Super Impossible Road” from Rogue Games, is a futuristic, high-speed racing game where players master hairpin turns on courses that twist and coil over beautiful galactic backdrops.

The Bradwell Conspiracy” from Bossa, is a beautifully stylized conspiracy adventure thriller with a humorous twist.

In “The Enchanted World” from Noodlecake, players help a young fairy piece together a magical world torn apart by dark forces.

Various Daylife” from Square Enix, is a brand-new RPG from the creators of “Bravely Default” and “Octopath Traveler.” In the year 211 of the Imperial Era, players explore a newly-discovered continent while living life to the fullest in the city of Erebia.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Literally the only thing of interest there is a Rayman game. But meh, Apple :p

As for controllers... I'm not a huge expert on button layout or anything. I just know what feels good in my hands. What controllers I can play with for hours. And I'm sure my hands are a bit smaller than some of yours. For me, the DS4 is the second-most comfortable controller ever (the Gamecube Controller is still #1 in that department). The Switch Pro comes in just behind that. But I think my hands prefer the even sticks. And I know they prefer sticks down low, because I wouldn't be able to reach them very comfortably up top.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Capcom platformer has my curiosity. And maybe that Square JRPG (presumably). Having the selection more curated also seems like it'll help contribute the quality. It'll definitely be popular for families or people with kids at that price (potentially fewer mobile games to buy per month but access to more games, etc).

Did you ever get a chance to try the Wii U Pro Controller? It's basically a 360 controller with the sticks "corrected" combined with a god-like battery life. The upper stick positions were really comfortable and I don't usually need a larger sized controller or anything (ie: original XB controller, non-S, was definitely too bulky).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I did play WiiU at one point at a friend's house but don't remember my experience with the controller. I just know my brain has a hard time with buttons below sticks though.

23. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Damn it Rachel! They said there's going to be a sequel to Enter the Gungeon. That's the most important thing out of all this!

But yeah, I'm not going to get involved with Apple's streaming service for it. It'll inevitably get ported, so will Rayman if it's anything like the good games.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yep, Rayman will wind up on Switch if it's any good. Count it.

And I'm just not a dungeon crawler fan, sorry.

Chewgumma likes this.
  25. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Various Daylife has me intrigued based on the developers track record. I'll get it when it inevitably comes to the Switch, however.