main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Plus basebuilding is back to allowing insane designs! Some of the stuff you can do in the base designs is nuts. I've got some great ones.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah my brother evidently built a self-operating mining base that nets him tons of money, he's in the billions I guess. I was still waiting for them to patch the VR to jump back in.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    No Man's Sky will just never stop being funny to me. Yes, I would agree that the kind of epic fail No Man's Sky pulled off is preferable to a lot of other kinds of epic fails and that a good portion of the problem wasn't Murray's fault in any way. Maybe that's part of the schadenfreude of that story, the fact that it was just an epic failure on the part of everyone from the fans to the creators to the marketers. I mean, if the game had been what it was, but it had been marketed correctly . . . it would have been okay. Or if it had been marketed incorrectly, but fans had modulated their expectations . . . it would have been okay. But it was just this avalanche of everybody running with the wildest possible ideas. I certainly blame the audience to some degree for ever buying into some of the craziest claims that were being made. I mean, at a certain point, even if the people doing the marketing are being ridiculous, you have to take responsibility as a consumer for not buying some of it. So, in large part, when I continue to mock the game, yes, I'm mocking the game and, yes, I'm mocking the marketing campaign around the game and, yes, I'm mocking the people who bought into that marketing campaign as if it were the Bible. It was just never going to be anything but an epic disappointment and it seemed like everyone thought that the very force of their will was going to be make it the GOAT.

But, still, that moment when Murray was still saying there were a quintillion planets and 99.9 percent of them would never even be discovered and then two players ran into each other less than a day after the game opened . . . I mean, that's just . . . that's like art. That's modern art right there. The collective heavy sigh when that happened will never stop being funny to me.

4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    At least No Man's Sky came out. Star Citizen has been in development so long that freaking Bannerlord was announced, in development, mocked incessantly for its long development process and given a release date since then.

5. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    If Star Citizen ever delivered an actual release then Chris Roberts wouldn't be able to continue the grift of selling spaceships for hundreds of dollars under the guise of crowdfunding.

Jedi Ben, Point Given and Ramza like this.
  6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    SLG was a prophet before our time.

Chewgumma and Ramza like this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Any Overwatch fans out there? I got a kick out of this video.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Just as I am the point of tying off AC Odyssey, there's a sale and the Season Pass is £16.

Highly unlikely to say no to that.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh yeah, if you haven't played the DLC, you definitely should I feel. Also it comes with AC3 and Liberation, so that's a plus.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, it's nuts, there's 8 pieces of DLC for £2 each!

11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    As much as I was loving Yakuza 0, I had to set it free. Been on it for a couple months and barely halfway through. I tried mainlining the story missions, but enjoyed playing it that way a lot less. These days, I just can't stick with 100+ hour games. Not enough hours in the day. I loved it, but I'll never be able to get into that franchise the way I'd like.

Having said that, Borderlands 3 is a blast and Link's Awakening is delightful.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, booted up the first ep of AC Odyssey: Fate of Atlantis that was available free a short time back.

And it crashed spectacularly. It has this great idea for a starting quest of you going to various tombs, it then switches back to modern day where, without any map indicators and skills worth a damn, you have to go through the tombs as Layla, looking for these symbols. Once you're through that terrible tedium? You get a puzzle sequence of unlocking the seal of Atlantis. It was total arse. After that you get to actually progress more as Kass, which is so much better. But the game decides to do an overt combat fight of 5-on-1, with a load of new Isu enemies.

Unfortunately, they pretty much embody the worst traits of videogame enemies - they have projectile attacks, area of effect attacks, plus the usual swords - oh and they can drain adrenaline, which yo rely on for all the special moves. Worse, they have these robots too and those ****ers can teleport. The first fight was just about OK, the first encounter with the Kolossi was unpleasant. It stayed that way for a couple of more fights too.

However, those Kolossi, and their Isu creators ain't that smart. In fact, they are very, very dumb and that's how the episode started to recover, as I went full stealth tactics - one-on-one kills, preferably at long distance, or through walls. Full sneak attack takes out 90% of the Kolossi health, a few melee strikes finishes it off, even if a second activates, it'll very quickly be a one-on-one fight which is far more manageable. The real trick is spotting the damn statues as they're immune to Ikaros' senses.

The most hilarious bit was today, as I went after an Overseer, she activated two Kolossi, I legged it out of there by jumping off the cliff and.... she followed me! I have jump immortality, I landed fine, she went splat. Couldn't quite believe I saw it, as I was climbing back up, I just watched her do this lemming doom dive. Oh well, one down.

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Anyone started playing Borderlands 3? I really wanna get it, but I'll probably wait until it drops in price, or ask for it as a Christmas present.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm playing Yakuza 0, but very slowly. I can't bother to read everything for more than an hour at a time, and since I don't speak Japanese, that's my fate with that game. Which is ok. I will get through it eventually since I do like it.

Link's Awakening has been a very easy play, though, so I'm enjoying that. I have had to look up a little bit of WTF you're supposed to do after each dungeon, but then I can get through those dungeons myself. So that's fine. I'm just sad that I'm already halfway through.

15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I've been trying to get a little bit of a work out into my gaming routine. So I went and got Beat Saber, and it's incredibly effective at getting me sweating like crazy.

[​IMG]

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I can't remember, but is this your first time playing LA? If so, you're supposed to explore, not look up what where you're supposed to go next, haha. You're kind of held by the hand by the owl in the beginning so if you run into an area where he shows up you kind of know you're going the right way. There is only so far east / north / south that you can go with your set of equipment, so I'd recommend doing that and make a note to return to the area when you have said equipment.

I watched a review that said 13-15 hours total, but I would say less than 8 if you're really taking your time and have played it before on the GameBoy.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  17. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeah, I haven’t had any trouble yet figuring out where to go just because I enjoy wandering around the environment, going down all the paths and into all the houses, and eventually I get to where I need to be by accident.

Having said that, I don’t blame anyone for using a guide if that’s the way they enjoy it. I’ve had to check some dungeon solutions a couple times myself (and they both made me feel pretty dumb).

18. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    The only time in Link's Awakening that I found myself using a guide was obtaining the nightmare key for the Bottle Grotto.

For it to spawn, you have to kill the three enemies in its room in a particular order. It's such an obtuse "Puzzle", and the owl statue that gives you the solution uses the in-universe names for the enemies, instead of the more easily recognisable "Bunny, bat, skeleton." Which makes said owl next to useless.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah there's nothing wrong with using a guide/online to help, but I feel so dumb after reading the solution that I only do it as a very last resort. I like hints or suggestions from the community here better than just reading the solution.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    This is the only puzzle so far that I used the guide for. I was confused by the owl statue's clues as well, since what he said didn't seem to correlate with the enemies I was actually seeing. But the other puzzles I've been fine with.

I get that you're supposed to explore. And I do that and that's mostly worked. But once I've spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how the hell I'm supposed to get to the desert, I'm sorry, I'm going to just look up where to go. Life is too short to wander the map over and over again. I give it an honest try and if I can't figure it out, then I'll resort to a guide just to give me a nudge. "Oh, you need to take this path." Thanks!

I admit I also used a guide to help me find the hints to the Color Dungeon, because I really wanted that defense outfit and didn't know the color dungeon even existed until I saw it mentioned in a guide.

Anyway, I'm about halfway through the game (finished the 4th level last night). I wish it were a bit longer for a $60 game, kinda feels like it should have been $40. Although I guess I split the difference because I used one of my digital vouchers on it. Still, the other was used on Three Houses, which I spent 165 hours in. This one's gonna be more like 10 :p

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So the issue sometimes is this is kind of simultaneously true and false: it's true in the sense that ostensibly exploration is supposed to be your end-all, be-all, but not true in the sense that there was definitely an assumption back then (and since the port is so straightforward...) that just a little obtuseness could juice strategy guide sales. I've never thought it was a coincidence that games started being accused of being too "hand-holdy" right around the time it became really, really easy to just look up information online for free that used to be in a strategy guide.

So, in conclusion: I dunno, play games or whatever.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah that's the thing, right? This was the early 90s, the era of them really wanting you to buy the official guide. Also the original game came with a paper guide that this remake doesn't, and that would help.

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    You noobs, call the Nintendo Power Line!

[​IMG]

Rogue1-and-a-half and Chewgumma like this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    By the time of Ocarina of Time, IGN64 existed. So I'd print off text walkthroughs and help by brother if he got really stuck in the Water Temple, for instance.

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Water Temple was the worst. Finding that last key in the bottom of the middle tower section after flooding the entire place was probably something I had to look up.