main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The thing is I always sort of understood the "One." Like, it's a bad name, but there's a horrible marketing team logic to it - it's your one media destination, blah blah blah all that integrated stuff no one actually wanted in practice because they just used a Roku. This is just flat-out stupid.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I know that Microsoft have only announced one model so far. But word on the grapevine is that they're planning a cheaper model without a disc drive and slightly lower specs, which would explain the idea behind the Series label. Especially if they also intend to continue with the iteratively more powerful console sales model that the PS Pro and Xbone X brought in.

The name still sucks though. They could still have come up with a catchy name for this supposed umbrella of systems they intend to release over the coming years. As it stands, Series doesn't really do anything to distinguish itself from previous generations of Xbox. I predict plenty of confused parents and grandparents buying the wrong model of Xbox next Christmas.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, no, I agree- Xbox One fit the marketing concept of the console (at least at launch- they've long abandoned that now).

I mean, I know they want to avoid people making any connection between "Xbox" and any shade of red ever again at all costs, but "XB Scarlett" would have been a fantastic name- and they could have used other colors to distinguish other models, etc.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This is exactly how I feel. XBOX One is stupid but at least has a logic. Just calling it XBOX then having a Series X (and I almost guarantee the Lockhart less powerful version will be called Series S, since they've established that convention) is insane. Absolutely insane.

Imagine being a parent trying to figure out if your kid wanted an XBOX One X or and XBOX Series X. How the hell are you going to figure out the difference? Insane and so so dumb. It might be even worse than the Wii U name.

Finally, clearly you're right T2Q in that they should have just stuck with colors. Call this one X-Box Scarlett, call the Lockhart version X-Box Indigo. Easy.

Playstation 5 is a plain yet much more brilliant name, it turns out.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  5. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Microsoft have a history of having far better codenames than what they eventually end up calling their products. Kinect being a prime example.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

6. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Microsoft probably scrapped that name to avoid the inevitable headlines about "Post Natal depression."

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo has had great project names too, but, usually, you can understand that they really were never going to work as actual system names and only work for development purposes. Projects Reality, Dolphin, Revolution, Cafe, NX, Atlantis, Nitro, Citrus, Infrared, etc. Only NX and Nitro could have kinda worked.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I think Nintendo codenames at least feel more like codenames. Like I never expected to get a Nintendo Dolphin, neat as that codename was :p

Did the PS5 even have a codename though? Everyone knew it would be called the PS5, because Playstation's marketers aren't a bunch of insane people like Microsoft.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I could be wrong, but I'd imagine Sony decided to simply call their successor consoles by their numbers after they had released the slimmed, smaller version of their original one as the "PSone".

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It most likely had a codename (all PS models have had one) but IDK if it ever leaked or was made public.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Sony for sure are gonna continue to do the numbers thing because there's no way they won't name their 10th console "PSX." :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Guys guys guys! I just found out a game I loved as a kid is available on Steam! It's called Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. It's about going back in time to the Titanic and having to solve a mystery before time runs out and it sinks. I remember loving this game as a kid, and it indeed has fantastic ratings on Steam. I'm so excited.

My question would be... will this Windows 95 game be able to run on Windows 10 through compatibility mode? Does anyone know how that works, I haven't tried it.

Moll and blackmyron like this.
  13. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    It's on GOG as well. I would get it from there since they do the best job at optimizing old games for modern systems. The download will most likely come with a DosBox launcher so you don't need to do anything with Windows compatibility mode.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Awesome! I am so stoked. Will definitely boot this up on my laptop when I'm home on Friday during lunchtime.

EDIT: Oh sweet and it was only $0.89 on GOG!

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'd love to see gaming consoles move into the arena of movie sequel naming conventions. "Did you hear about the new console? Xbox: The Devil Made Me Do It?"

Chewgumma, The2ndQuest , tom and 3 others like this.
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    PlayStation: Revelations.

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Xbox: Origins.

Chewgumma, Ramza and tom like this.
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    nintendo: the legend of curly's gold

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    PlayStation Into Darkness

20. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Playstations, about a team of marines who go to the Sony factory to find there's not just one Playstation but a whole load of Playstations.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

The2ndQuest likes this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    XBOX Two: Electric Boogaloo

Would literally make more sense than XBOX Series X.

Chewgumma and The2ndQuest like this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's genuinely hard to believe there hasn't been a PlayStation Beyond yet.

Chewgumma and solojones like this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's the other way around- they were launching PS2 and rereleasing the (now-rebranded) PSone to match that naming convention (sorta).

24. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Nintendo: The Empire Strikes back.

Oh wait, that's just the Switch.

solojones and Ramza like this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Okay so I got Pokemon Shield a little before Thanksgiving, and it was something I was really excited for, despite the dex being cut in half. I'm a huge fan of the mainline Pokemon RPGs, played them since Ruby. But uh.....I didn't really enjoy Shield? Like especially coming off of the heels of UltraSun/UltraMoon, which had a really tight story, serious themes, probably some adult themes actually (Lusamine was a very abusive parent to her two kids, etc), good endgame and post-game content, fit in well with the overall story, etc. But Shield? Uh, not as much...The story is absolutely nonexistent, you're not even involved in the main problem until the very end, the music is good but there is major dissonance between people and their themes, the pokemon are kind of....rehashes? Hatterene is Gardevoir but slower (no, seriously, they're both Psychic/Fairy types with similar movesets). It doesn't at all fit in with overall games. In Pokemon X/Y, they introduced MegaStones, which were a result of a weapon that had been fired into the atmosphere a long time prior. In AlphaSapphire/OmegaRuby, you learn that all the games prior to the X and Y take place in a continuity where a great hero stopped said weapon from being fired, hence no megastones. This continued with Sun/Moon. But now this game doesn't have any trainers from prior games (usually champions like Cynthia and all show up for post game content), no megastones, nothing tying it to the overall series except some of the pokemon.

It's a disappointment, frankly. :(