main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Do you guys think Rock Band will ever come back to the video game systems?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The impression I get is that they were gambling really hard on Rock Band 4 being the big revival and it didn’t pay off as well as they had hoped. It’s still supported with periodic DLC, I think, so that is an option if you can track down a kit for your system of choice.

3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I just got an X-Box from a co-worker. I was wondering what was the best game that one can go from room to room and have to find hidden objects to move on. Your input would be great. Thank you.

solojones likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I would still group it in with the 3D Mario games in general, yes. The way Mario controls, etc is the same across them all, but i think the fundamental differences in the world design and platforming challenges distinguish the Galaxy series as an offshoot rather than as part of the main lineage. They're simply designed to provide different types of experiences, immersion and player reactions. The mini garden inspiration of the other 3 games provide exploration, while Galaxy eschews that for challenge-specific level design that has more in common with the 2D and 3DW series.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The new Tomb Raider games have some fun tomb puzzling if that's what you mean.

darth_gersh likes this.
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm in the middle of playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider now. In the later games (like the current reboot trilogy), the most difficult puzzles are in the tombs that are optional side quests. It's still important if you want to get a feel of everything the game has to offer; not to mention a Platinum trophy. The puzzles require a lot of trial and error; unless you just cheat and watch a Youtube video chances are you won't get them on the fly.

darth_gersh likes this.
  7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Resident Evil 7 is a great one for puzzles and object hunting. Traditional survival horror games have always been really good in those regards, and 7 picks up that spirit and runs with it.

darth_gersh likes this.
  8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Of course, that is if you're fine also being utterly terrified :p

If you want the ultimate puzzle game, you should check out The Witness. This requires you to take notes, photos, etc.

darth_gersh and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The Witness came to my mind but I have a feeling gersh is referring to hidden object games specifically.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm now wondering if that sense of recovering from the edge of disaster is what makes the roguelike genre work so well for some. As on a couple of recent Everspace runs, I've had things go wrong but also then, by not playing the 'oh, **** it' card, recovered from them.

The way it tends to work is out of fuel, cue suicide jump, cue wrecked systems, trying to repair, run out of nanobots and/or other resources and, for a time, am pretty much ****ed. On one run, it happened that Life Support got whacked and I couldn't repair it. I did get enough fuel to jump and made into another sector, but still nothing, survived a couple more fights, got fuel for another jump, then had a major shoot-out, the life support was down to 40% and falling and then, in the distance, there's a load of nanobots! I grab those, patch up life support, whammo - I'm back in business after a really crappy 2-3 areas!

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Cracked open my PSVR last night. I mean, the box; the headset itself has not been cracked.

My initial thoughts: 1. Even going in knowing the visuals were not going to be super-high quality, I was surprised at just how low-res they are. Or is that just on the demo disc? Could be. Hopefully. 2. I'm going to buy Thumper real soon. Holy **** that demo is amazing.

solojones likes this.
  12. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Yeah. Definitely more like Resident Evil the first one one on PS1

13. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Still going through dq11s. Glad jrpg’s are so damn long, havent had to buy anything in a while.

Got a vizio tv with smartcast/airplay built in 1 button press for christmas and I've gotta say...i really wish i could cast from my Switch instead of needing the dock. Its packed in a box somewhere and im too lazy to look.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Totally depends on the game. Thumper is mond blowing though. But play Superhot VR first.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I haven't broken out the move controllers yet. But the Demo Disc has a Superhot demo, so I'll be doing that soon.

16. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Hey, how do you like that TV? How is the contrast, and black levels? I’m in the market for a new TV and I’ve been leaning towards a Vizio

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Definitely also consider the TCL 6 series. It's CNET's too rated 4k TV for a reason..basically very good quality at a low price. Great low latency for games too.

RokurGepta likes this.
  18. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Thanks, I’ll look into those. I have a Samsung that’s going on 10 years old and it’s got a major ghosting problem, which I think is due to contrast? In darker areas like caves and stuff in Jedi: Fallen Order things look pretty bad.

19. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    My uncle called yesterday to let us know he's got a 42" 3D television, that's about 10 years old, that he's looking to give away as he recently replaced it with a Smart TV. I'm really looking to eventually replace my standard HD TV with a 4K one.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You can get a really nice TCL 6-series 55" for about $550 these days, FYI. It's 4k HDR.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    the weeks around the super bowl have traditionally been the best time of year to get a good deal on one.

i'm looking at one too, my insignia hdtv is about 8 years old. tcl series that sj referenced is a good place to start (65" for 499 at best buy). samsung also has their line heavily discounted.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well that's nice but the television I'm looking to replace is only 32" in my bedroom. Even the 42" is a bit of a stretch; but from what I gather the 4Ks and OLEDs don't come any smaller than that.

24. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I got my 40" for £400, although admittedly it was on sale and, because I'm stuck on disability benefits and poor, I still needed to pay it off in monthly instalments.

It's still a really nice TV though, and I'm future proofed for when 4K ends up becoming the standard. Which will probably be when the new generation of consoles comes out at the end of the year. PS2 and Xbox standardised the DVD, PS3 standardised the Blu-Ray (HD-DVD probably wouldn't have gone the way of betamax had Microsoft not decided to launch the HD-DVD drive as an optional accessory.) and, with 4K being the next big technological step, I'm certain the PS5 and Xbox Series will do the same again.

As SJ said, the visual fidelity depends on the game in question. But even at its best, the PSVR isn't going to look that amazing. That's not because of the headset itself. In fact, I think when homebrew software was launched to make the PSVR compatible with PC games, the resolution within the hardware was actually better the Occulus and Vive headsets at the time. Which is pretty impressive considering it's the entry level VR set.

The problem is that the PS4, a piece of hardware that launched in 2013, is trying to render VR environments at a minimum of 90fps, a mandatory minimum frame rate enforced by Sony as it's the sweet spot to minimise motion sickness and input latency. That's something even current mid-range GPUs struggle with.

The PS4 Pro does have some extra processing oomph, but for some reason it doesn't provide any resolution benefits over the base model. Instead developers decide to use that extra power on texture down scaling, to make their games look prettier at that same resolution and frame rate.

It's why games with simple geometry (Beat Saber) or a crisp, colourful art style(Falcon Age, Astro Bot.) are the best ways to experience the system. That's not to sniff at how it handles "realism" though. As an entry level system, it make a very convincing case for the future of VR gaming.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    heels1785 likes this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh! Well in that case, I don't think they have the 6 series in that size anymore, but the 5 series which is nearly as good and does 4k HDR is $250 for a 43" model.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.