main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not touching either Resi 2 or 7 - The Last Of Us got in my head more than enough.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I love watching no commentary playthroughs of horror games because I love horror movies. I do not like playing them, though. TLOU and Until Dawn are my limit.

Doom3 is being remade in VR. Another game I will not be playing but will watch :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    TLOU doesn't have a remorseless beast follow you and apply consistent pressure when you're trying to figure stuff out.

Mr X is unnecessary in an already excellent but stressful game

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think you'd want to take on a xeno with a pistol, wrench, or stun baton. The bolt gun presumably has great penetration but is slow as hell to reload. If you didn't kill in one shot, you'd be dead.

The shotgun is tricky. We see Hicks kill one in Aliens, but by shooting it through the mouth. Considering pistol bullets bounced right off the head of a xeno in the same movie, it's not much of a stretch to suggest that shotgun pellets would meet a xenomorph with little effect. The dude in the wheelchair in Resurrection defended himself with a shotgun, but it took many shots. The first shot did little but cause a few drops of acid to drop on him.

I believe the smart gun and the pulse rifle were left out of Isolation because those would be effective.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    A scene near the end of Alien:Isolation was one of those beautiful, rare moments where I just wanted to give up because of the hopelessness of the situation (rather than **** gameplay, which happens more often than I care for).

There is a "Tourist" setting that puts the scares to an absolute minimum, though.

They wouldn't make much sense on a commercial space station with the Colonial Police as the highest level of combat-effective forces on the station.

Of course, there's a deep irony in Aliens because it turns out in the Alien Universe
    Harsh language absolutely emotionally shreds the Aliens, who would've run in terror if it had been used.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Mr. X is great!

darthcaedus1138 and TrandoJedi like this.
  7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    See that just not required

8. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    When did you want to give up? Refresh my memory.

I remember one situation early in the game where I made a sort of bad save and had a very tough time getting through a door with a minigame lock. Must have died thirty times.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    When everyone you met is dead, and the station is falling apart, and you're about to get off the station... and then you're ambushed by an alien and wake up stuck to the wall. I looked at the distance on the map from where she ended up to where the airlock was, and I was like "If I was Ripley I would just end it right now."
    I persevered, but the scene with the falling elevators triggered that reaction again.
    A friend of mine clued me into a trick with doing the puzzle locks when the alien is around - build a molotov, plant it as a mine behind you, and if the alien comes, he'll set it off and flee. If not, you can pick it back up.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I really need to play Alien: Isolation but somehow I never get around to it. I need some Alien film related thing to come out and not suck to get me motivated, I think.

You can send trade delegations to Rome in this one. I can’t even. Yeah let me just send Xiahou Dun to hang out with the Severan Dynasty for a year or two, I guess??? We desperately need the latest writings on centurion tactics if we hope to crush the Southern rebels and, um, I think we’re still claiming we want to restore the Han at the moment, so we’ll definitely do that and my son definitely won’t declare himself Wei Emperor by the time the guys in ****ing togas come visit.

Such an odd detail to simulate given what Koei usually focuses on.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  11. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Not completely gaming related and I didn’t think it wise to do three post in a row in the Xbox thread, but it looks like Michael stackpole is doing a gears of war novel set immediately after gears 3

solojones likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Welp, I had hoped RotTK XIV might be an entry I could recommend to newcomers what with its incredible "actually having a tutorial" functionality, but I'm finding that isn't the case. It's a cold, impersonal entry in the franchise (especially compared to the previous title), and for all the interesting decision making that accompanies new ideas like manually triggered historical events and sowing discord amongst opponents, if I didn't already know these historical figures there would be next to nothing to get me invested in them.

That said, did I enjoy the game allowing me to deftly maneuver Lü Bu into fighting a two front war with myself and Liu Bei so that I could easily swoop in with 20,000 men and viciously assault his almost defenseless capital, promptly leading to the execution of dozens of rebel officers including ol' Fengxiang himself, before having all of its supplies transferred back to my cities so that Liu Bei's advancing army could satisfy itself with my table scraps? Yes. I am, in some ways, a simple man.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    CT-867-5309 and Glitterstimm like this.
  13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    @Ramza Which series entry would you say has the best narrative/storytelling? I haven't played any of that series but I enjoy grand strategy games.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It depends a little bit on what you want, as the series basically forked into two branches that are a bit incompatible (which may be part of the problem) - if you’re looking for strictly top level command and management, where you pick a ruler and largely duke it out with other rulers on the way to taking all of China, XI probably remains the gold standard and it seems it will never be unseated. If you’re not married to the setting of the Three Kingdoms period, Nobunaga’s Ambition: Rise to Power or Sphere of Influence are probably the actual best games in the franchise with this gameplay focus. The other fork is more about role playing, where you pick or create a specific officer to control and your relative command structure and decision making changes depending on your position in the pecking order, with it gradually becoming more of a grand strategy game if you choose to climb the ranks. For my money that’s XIII [whatever subtitle they gave the version with the bonus pack], but a lot of fans swear by X (as did I until I got deep into XIII). Both are not quite like anything else on the market so they hold a special place in my mind.

One game that I have not mentioned, because it isn’t made by Koei and I’ve had the same laptop for 10 years so I absolutely can’t run it, is Total War: Three Kingdoms, and if you like Total War I hear that’s an incredible one. It certainly looks cool, it’s probably the top game on my “someday I’ll own a desktop” backlog. :p

15. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Ah yes, I need to check out Total War's Three Kingdoms, I love their Warhammer titles. My pc is about 10 years old but can still run them . . . barely

16. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    This sounds soooo good. XIII on Steam is a bit overpriced for a five year old game, so I'll look for a sale because I'm cheap.

Ramza likes this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Definitely sale wait to avoid Koei's nonsense pricing, but yeah, XIII: Fame and Strategy Expansion Pack Bundle (I broke down and googled it this time) is probably one of my favorite games just by virtue of all the weird paths you can pursue depending on what you feel like. In my first game I created the illustrious scholar Bei Rama, and he quickly became one of Cao Cao's most trusted advisors. He was a man so cunning he earned the respect of the great Zhuge Liang... and persuaded him to become his sworn brother. At that point Wei kind of steamrolled the late game, but hey.

In a different game I actually just played as Gan Ning, who in the book was a pirate who eventually worked for the Sun clan. Unfortunately the game's not quite robust enough to model pirates, so you just start as a random layabout if you begin during the Yellow Turban rebellion. Rather than declare myself warlord I decided to just get swole, so I went on a bunch of quests and raised up my dueling ability sky high. I went to work for some ruler for a bit (Kong Rong, maybe?) before I got sick of it. At some point I got in a duel and realized - oh ****, if my duel is high enough I can kind of reliably kill officers. So, naturally, the response is to start targeting officers with good items to kill them and steal their stuff, as is the style. An old man appearing to be a Taoist master comes up to me, and offers some cryptic advice: perhaps in an era of chaos, the real power is the one who brings chaos itself. Fast forwarding a bit - I can neither confirm nor deny that the circumstances of Sun Ce and Cao Cao's deaths were not as mysterious as advertised - China never recovered and in these endless eras of strife they say if you hear bells on the wind death is coming.

Then in another game entirely I decided to just be a really cool general in Shu. And let me tell you - it was pretty cool.

So, yeah, lots of fond memories. :p

Point Given and CT-867-5309 like this.
  18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Something tells me Slowpoke would not be able to properly motivate Huang Zhong.

Ramza likes this.
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Speaking of Slowpoke, I do think they missed a beat in not having a random event where someone with no access to game serves you, er... meat of questionable origin.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Finished Miles Morales and really enjoyed it. Incredibly fun gameplay. I just wish it was a full game. I found the art style to be better than the first game with all of the street art around the city.

Now I'm on to Control, which also has awesome gameplay, but I'm so damn confused as to what it's all about. And I'm also playing through the entire Telltale Walking Dead series again.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't get thinking Miles Morales isn't a full game....with all the side quests it was 15 hours, which is longer than the original Halo. It's definitely a full game.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeah, I would love for developers to start releasing these shorter open world games every couple of years rather than taking longer on games that are so bloated. MM took me, what, 12 hours to 100%? The reason I don’t play Assassin’s Creed games anymore is because they take ten times that long to do everything in. I’d be much more inclined to play Immortals: Fenyx Rising if I knew it was a little shorter than it seems to be.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Fenyx is pretty short, 20-25 hours and that's if you do everything.

solojones likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you get it for free on Steam last year?

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No; I probably should have, but I don’t think I could run the PC version anyway.