main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    There are some genuinely great mobile games that i would classify as works of art. Florence is one. Bury Me, My Love is another one that uses the phone interface in a really cool way if you play it in real time. It's basically a texting game. Bury Me, My Love got a port to the Switch, but I heard it was disastrous and I can imagine.

solojones likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I can't imagine playing Bury Me, My Love anywhere but mobile. Great game.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Mobile was a nice resurrection of playing the old text adventure games back in the day, but tablets are better suited for the more verbose ones.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Point Given likes this.
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    God of War 5 "delayed" to 2022.... Lol. I literally never thought it was coming out this year. What an obvious delay

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, that was finally confirmed, huh?

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I didn't even know they had announced the next GoW. Like yeah, obviously there was going to be one, but not beyond that.

8. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    That 2021 date was ment to sell PS5s, also confirmed that it along with Grand Turismo 7 are coming to PS 4 witch makes sense with the bigger install base, just a shame they couldn’t be honest out the gate.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's a smart move. It's one of the games that would make me pull the trigger on a PS5. And hopefully by 2022 they're easier to find.

Jedi Ben and PimpBacca like this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    By 2022 new consoles and graphics cards will have passed into legend. There will be people who insist that once there was a time when MSRP meant something, but at best they will be dismissed as crackpots-- at worst they will be found dead under a pile of PS3 slims and GT 710s.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey that's not fair, Nvidia promised relief on GFX card supply by the end of Q5, 2021. Maybe even Q7!

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh my god. The original PS3 design proposal had no graphics card because they thought they could offload everything to the main CPU. Cryptocurrency is just a long con to bring back the Cell processor.

Darth Guy likes this.
  13. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    You won’t need one, since Sony announced that the next God of War will also come to the PS4.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Working my way through the ps one fighting games. Boy there are a lot. Battle Arena Toshinden series, Rival Schools, Marvel vs Capcom, Cardinal Syn, Vs, Tekken series, Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat series, Bloody Roar series, Street Fighter series.

heels1785 likes this.
  15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I appreciate Santa Monica releasing the statement before E3 so everyone wasn't disappointed that God of War 5 wasn't featured.

Question: Has there ever been an instance in the past where a video game studio issued a press release about a game being delayed, and then during E3 that same studio surprised us that the game actually wasn't delayed and the press release was a ruse?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    E3 deceits tend to be more around gameplay videos I think.

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, also statements like "Expect the game to come out early next year!" or "Rumors about 'permanent crunch time for employees'? I don't even know what that phrase means!"

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo Retail Demo Sales Instructional Video from the radical 1990's, dudes!

(aka "the store manager definitely kept the free copy of Mario Paint for themselves instead of awarding it to the employees")

While the hosting segments are what you would expect, what I found interesting was the Project Reality (codename for the then-upcoming Nintendo Ultra 64-eventually-Nintendo 64) hype reel that starts roughly around the 23:58 mark. It seems like it might actually be an SGI demo reel rather than footage from actual NU64 projects that were in development (especially given the marketing angle that had SGI/NU64 tech being used in arcades during the year prior to the originally planned launch year of the NU64). But it's also possible that these were actual tech demos Nintendo and other developers experimented with. At the very least, you kinda get to see what some of that tech could render without the resolution constraints of the final N64 hardware.

And, speaking of old video games, the new Atari VCS system will be hitting stores June 15th for $300-400, depending on the edition you get. Both include Atari VCS Vault Vol. 1 that includes 100 classic Atari games. The All-In Edition includes 2 controllers. But, if current rumors hold, that won't matter because we'll all be rushing to try and pre-order the Switch Pro on the 15th instead of buying this ;). Atari probably wants those pre-orders to go up sooner more than gamers do.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Is there precedent for releasing a major title on the previous generation well over a year after the next generation was released? I can't think of any. Maybe a Nintendo handheld.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It happens with mutliplayer games. FIFA 19, for example, was released on PS3 and Xbox 360 but I don't know any single player games off the top of my head.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    PlayStation head Hulst has let PC owners they aren't forgotten: "But we do value PC gamers, and we'll continue to look at the right times to launch each game."

.... like 5 years later for Uncharted 4.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It was big with third party titles last gen because the studios had all hedged on the PS4 and Bone underperforming. Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age: Inquisition were both cross-generation, for example. Can’t think of a first party title, though.

23. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Touting PS5’s sales being the fastest ever, and then turning around and making two of your biggest first-party titles cross-gen, sends mixed messages methinks. By the time the new God of War comes out, the PS5 will be pushing two years old. By comparison, when God of War II (the original) came out on the PlayStation 2, I remember there being some complaints that it wasn’t a PlayStation 3 game, and that console was only four months old at the time.

Sure, God of War PS4 already performs and looks great, so I’m sure the tech compromises to make the sequel cross-gen won’t be extremely glaring, but still. Why the hell should anyone want a PS5 for at least the next year? Ratchet & Clank? Don’t get me wrong, it’s my favorite franchise, but sheesh.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How many upgraded PS5 versions of PS4 games have you played?

This isn't like before, the difference between the two versions is major.

FatBurt likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They don't really have a choice- PS5 sells fast but the chip shortages affecting the tech industry are going to keep the install base limited for those two years. By maintaining a cross-gen status, they'll be selling millions of more copies. Unlike the PS2/PS3 jump, the purchases will be backwards compatible on all PS5s- and you have the game now act as a lure to not only keep the player in the PS ecosystem but entice them to upgrade to the PS5 to get enhancement updates, etc.

Jedi Ben likes this.