main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Speaking of old consoles, today on 6/3/2021, there is a software update for the PS3.

Admit it - who still has theirs hooked up? Mine is in my bedroom. Last time I used it was late last year to watch DVDs of Karate Kid 1 & 2 before watching Cobra Kai Season 3 in early January 2021.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    After I finish God of War III on the PS4, I'm going to hit Ghost of Sparta because I'm playing through the franchise in order and that one never got a remaster for the PS4, so, yes, I've got my PS3 ready to go.

TiniTinyTony and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bah. I still have a PS2 hooked up, and used it last year to play the two GTA PlayStation exclusives.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    DISC READ ERROR

5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I still play my PS3 on a weekly basis, despite having a PS4 and Xbox One S plugged in the same setup. I still even play my Vita despite owning a Switch. My backlog is ridiculous across all platforms including PC.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    My ****ing Assassin's Creed backlog is enough for the entire year.

... and that was before I picked up Valhalla on sale. [face_laugh]

solojones and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    The PS3 is the only console I can play the PS2 Ratchet & Clank remasters on, so yes, it’s always hooked up and ready to go. :p

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, good job it was a freebie...

Subnautica has this incredible reputation, but it's one that, for me, it did not live up to at all. I know there is an audience for games that tell you very, very little about what to do and, more importantly, how. But this audience is not me, I need something to work with and this game gives me nothing. Even its Creative mode fails completely due to base building mechanics that render No Man's Sky and Fallout 4 the height of sophistication. You cannot easily place things together, there is no obvious door part that renders building the base pointless and the game doesn't want to explain how it works either. This was the biggest disappointment, that's its base build mechanics were so very limited, even in a Creative mode. Also, it suffers from first person view.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Totally agree with you on Subnautica and I'm also glad it was a freebie for me.

My youngest likes it but not enough to play regularly and it's no longer installed on the PS5.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Thanks for the review. It's been sitting on my wishlist since it came out and you've saved me the waste of time and money.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If you want a straight forward explore / survival / building / crafting game No Man's Sky is far better than it used to be.

There is some RNG aspects still, but it has vastly reduced from what it was. It's not a deep game though, has only so much variety.

How you find it depends on how you find the core gameplay loop of explore, grabbing resources and crafting blueprints, base build, tech upgrades.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't really want any survival crafting game, I don't like them. I was attracted to the submarine and maybe hoping for a bit of story, but if it gives you no direction (which I often hate) and the crafting (I hate crafting) is as janky as you describe, then I'll save myself the frustration. I mean, part of the fun is exploring the unknown and figuring things out for yourself, but I have little experience with crafting games and I don't want it to be too much of a chore.

solojones likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A fun, compact underwater exploration game is Abzu.

14. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Where's the E3 2021 thread?

Guessing there isn't one yet.

solojones likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There is now.

(obviously, you know, since you made it, but, for everyone else's benefit)

16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

Easiest $10/month I've spent in a while, if not ever. I am honestly a little giddy.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I only ever really listened to a very tiny amount of the Giant Bombcast and I am in need of a new gaming podcast so this is good news indeed.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    The Bombcast, while obviously working with a depleted roster, is still going, and the new bi-weekly Fire Escape Cast is fantastic, though half of it is about stuff outside of video games (and extremely entertaining). I expect Nextlander to replace the often bland Sacred Symbols as the third podcast in my gaming trifecta.

darthcaedus1138 and Ramza like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m hoping from the pitch that Nextlander might also go for some of that freewheeling FEC energy, although from the Twitch stream it’s seeming very much like GBeast 2.0 (weird FMV game and everything). I have no issues with that direction and will follow my duders into the depths of the Nine Hells... but I would prefer insane tangents. :p

21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I just can’t picture Alex Navarro talking about being horny for a cherry blossom tree. :p

darthcaedus1138 and Ramza like this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    But what if that cherry blossom tree was also a drum kit?

Edit: It's also nice to get some closure on why they left, even if it's the understandable but drama-wise less satisfying "we wanted to go back to small scale weird indie dynamics." :p

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Have returned to the Outer Worlds to do the Murder on Eridanos DLC.

World design and combat is as good as ever but I'd forgotten how great its conversations were. Some very sharp writing, with excellent options to choose from.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Saw this on the IGN channel, 13 minutes of a Moebius art inspired game.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Had a sudden urge to play Stellaris to completion with the largest possible galaxy, which I've never done before. Surprisingly, I am actually doing well - which means I will be absolutely destroyed in the Endgame. :p

The2ndQuest likes this.