main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    a console can never be obsolete, it can only become "retro".

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You don't need to go all-in at the start on a gaming PC. Build for what your needs are and upgrade when you feel it's necessary to. It's not all that different than when you buy the next generation console. I've been using the same graphics card for five years now. Also the cost of PC games, thanks to Steam sales/Humble bundles/giveaways etc, offset those initial costs.

Darth Guy likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Speaking of which, did you see they’re remastering Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties of all ****ing things? I can’t decide if exactly one Hidden Histories fan was secretly a game developer or if it’s simply that irony was a mistake.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    mnjedi, tom and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    The only way you'd consider the PS4 as "obsolete" is knowing the PS5 can play all of the games from the previous console; but in the same light, if you're still actively playing the games on the older console, what's the point in buying the new one right away (especially if when you practically have to pull your hair out to buy one these days)?

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    @tom Also when are you gonna stream again??

Point Given likes this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That hasn't been true for a while now, at least a decade. I was able to play modern titles with good settings for 6 years on the same setup: an i5 and a GTX 970, which weren't dirt cheap by any means but were more mid-tier than high-end. During that time all I needed to upgrade was the RAM from 8 gigs to 16. I probably could've still gotten away with the setup for a couple more years.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    what?! i had no idea.
    soon i will return with a vengeance! i've been swamped trying to buy my house (and also watching just about every nba playoff game). also for a year i had two "work from home" days every week, and now i'm back to not having any. i've discovered there's a sort of streamer inertia, where if you're streaming a lot it's easy to do it all the time but if you take a break it gets really hard to get back into it. but i definitely want to get back to it soon (probably after the conference finals).

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    If I had the option to upgrade I would. The older desktop I mentioned earlier has been upgraded quite a handful of times over the years. But I know money isn't the obstacle with these older PCs; it's the motherboard itself. I can't just buy a fancy new video card, 32gb RAM, much less a processor and assume everything will work perfectly on my "obsolete" machine.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, a new processor, GPU and RAM would not work well, if at all, on a 10+-year-old motherboard. You would also likely need to upgrade the power supply.

What I'm saying is that a decent PC isn't obsolete with regards to gaming after only 3 years.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I wonder if there are any places where if you bought a decent desktop PC they'd throw in a modest laptop for free.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    ...I wouldn't get your hopes up. Also be very careful about which manufacturers you're buying a prebuilt from. Definitely avoid the big guys like Dell/Alienware and HP, and almost all of them are prone to cheaping out on parts.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But at least when you order from the "big guys" you know they've installed parts that are guaranteed to be compatible with their PCs. Would you instead recommend browsing what's available at a Best Buy or maybe Micro Center, which isn't far from me?

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I've got an i7 9700 and a GTX 1070TI from 2015 which still runs everything well (even Cyberpunk 2077). The only card that's in what I'd consider a marginally acceptable price bracket for me right now (In that I'd the 400% markup is stupid) is the 3060, which is about AU$1100. Given the performance boost from a 1070TI is marginal at best, I'm going to wait until either more cards hit the market or they find a way to block crypto idiots from being crypto idiots.

My point is, I'm stuck with a 1070TI for a while.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    TBH, since I first started buying PCs (about when PCs first existed), I've always preferred to just buy a middle-of-the-road model and then upgrade it from there. Nowadays, the only pain is upgrading the circuit board itself - everything else is easy, I've found, to swap out and replace. My current desktop barely resembles the original model. I still have my previous computer, in fact, which still runs just fine. (Just to do a rare shoutout to consoles, my SO's old PS2, which I got for her ages ago, still works as well)

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know of any PC company that doesn't build with parts that are compatible with each other. It would be weird if they didn't. Dell and HP use a lot of their own proprietary components-- from the motherboards to the power supplies-- that can't always be swapped out and have awful resale value.

I've heard decent things about Micro Center's PC building service, but good luck finding a GPU. The best reason to buy a prebuilt right now is at least they actually have the damn cards.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    My problem with buying a prebuilt PC from some offshoot person off of eBay of Facebook Marketplace is that I can't just always bring it back to them if I have a problem. It's basically buy it at your own risk.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh. Definitely don't go that route.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Are "refurbished" PCs worthwhile to put on the radar? Both Micro Center and Best Buy sell them of course.

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Depends on what the specs and warranties are. I don't have any experience buying a "refurbished" PC.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah I'd talk to the people at the store about it.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    People are buying fairly ordinary spec prebuilts and taking 3000 series TI cards out because the only way to get a 3060/3070/3080TI is through a prebuild.

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    As some who worked computer retail years ago, "Refurbished" often just means that someone bought the computer and then returned it. They can't sell it as new, but often as not it was never really used.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well that's essentially what I assumed it was (I have had some far-off notion that these are like dumpster-dives that they just put together with some working components). I assume like a used car these refurbished models would normally have pretty decent warranty to cover them for awhile.

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yep. (Also, full disclosure, my computer retail days were 25 years ago), but you can get a pretty good deal sometimes. Like Darth Guy said, though, check out their warranty and return policy.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  25. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    How much for a Compaq Presario?

Darth Guy likes this.