main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, I've finally picked up Man of Medan, the inaugural entry in The Dark Pictures Anthology. I'll probably play through the two that are out now and then pick up the third one at the end of the month when it comes out.

But I have to say, thirty minutes into this, it's like, um, man, I knew this wasn't going to be on the level of Until Dawn, but this is not great in a lot of ways. The Don't Move mechanic has been replaced with a weird Heartbeat mechanic; the Curator has none of the personality or menace of the Doctor; and, yes, if you're wondering, they do include a version of O Death as the theme song here and it's a really awful like hard rock version that is, cringe-inducingly, retited "A Conversation with Death." Oh, shut up.

Anyway, all I've done so far is basically the prologue, so I'm trying to withhold judgment, but this is worse than Until Dawn to a degree I wasn't expecting. I mean, Until Dawn is just a very special, near-perfect game, at least for me, so I wasn't expecting this to be THAT good. But I wasn't expecting it to be THIS mediocre either. Anyway, I'm sure I'll enjoy it because, yeah, fine it's already got me with a couple of jump scares and I do just like the character choice style of game that this is. And I hear Little Hope is better. We'll press on.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I still haven't played that but that's basically what I've heard :(

InterestingLurker likes this.
  3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I downloaded Man of Medan as a potential spooky October game to play, but I haven’t checked out any of the Dark Pictures stuff since I played Until Dawn, and I loved Until Dawn. Seems like those games have been met with decidedly quieter fanfare.

InterestingLurker and solojones like this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I assume we're definitely not getting the complete soundtracks.
    Also, we're definitely not getting the two PS exclusive GTA games.
    Are we actually getting anything extra with these editions?

Edit: It doesn't matter, as they will be the only editions going forward - digital sales of the originals are going to be pulled for good.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've never played GTA3 or any part of it's trilogy so this will be a purchase for me when released

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The gameplay is quite dated and I would say it doesn't hold up, not to mention the missions that were ridiculous even at the time of release. I wonder if they overhauled these ancient titles, because players who came into the franchise with GTA V will be disappointed.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Apparently the games will be updated graphically and gameplay wise so fingers crossed they're better

9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Gonna get myself a Nintendo Switch OLED and then get Metroid Dread, which will be the very first Metroid game I ever play in the entire 25 years I've been video-gaming.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, what's the odds of a Black Friday deal for Switch OLED or just games only?

11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    San Andreas was pretty damn fun, though. I still enjoyed that game a lot, lot more than GTA V. Plus, the period games have some ****ing awesome soundtracks... which Rockstar probably lost all the licensing to, and will replace with public domain tracks or something.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Honestly they almost never put the Switch itself on sale. But games yes probably.

InterestingLurker and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks. It's looking like the OLED might be more obtainable than I expected, so maybe next month.

Other stuff - I didn't expect it to be so, but the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy game is starting to look like it might be good.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Yeah it was surprising to me when it was announced out of nowhere. And now it's already almost upon us. I do want to play it but I'm trying to get through Halo....

darthcaedus1138 and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I think I played GTA3 but don't recall ever playing IV. I'm content with V; played through the story mode (PS4 version) and every so often I'll hop onto GTAO.

16. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Really looking forward to GotG. On gamepass in a year.

@Jedi Ben Usually Nintendo black friday sales are more skewed towards bundles. Like 2 games packed in with the switch for 20 less than if you bought it all separately.

The wait for Switch Pro continues….

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    GTA IV is the best GTA, fight me.

18. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    Hey cousin, why fight? Come down to the bar and play darts [face_laugh]

19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    If you only count the DLC, maybe?

The base game was dour and boring. Fifteen missions to get a ****ing bag of diamonds that you ultimately fail. "Crime doesn't pay. Hope you enjoyed playing Crime City!"

Meanwhile, you had this in San Andreas:

"Remember - once you're inside, I can no longer help you."
    "Well, can you help me now?"
    "Uh... no, actually I can't help you now either."

Also, the ****ing jetpack.

Besides, everyone agrees on the best game of the GTA3 era:
    GTA Advance

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Chinatown Wars > the rest

21. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Wondering this myself.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosana of Dana

A long-running action JRPG, this game is outrageously fun. It just doesn't do the things you would expect a game to do that gets in the way of you having fun. Stamina bar? None - you want to infinitely sprint? Go for it. Fall damage? That's no fun, don't worry about it. Strong enemy on the field? You can spam your special attacks to kill it fast. And all of this mad battle action will be running to a killer soundtrack.

Initially you boot you up and it seems like it'll be your standard JRPG gaming comfort food. Then Chapter 2 happens and whammo. This game has story surprises and when they hit, they hit hard. That said, after the hit, with hindsight, you will spot that they weren't exactly being subtle about it. Still works though.

So, it's going to be this and Kena: Bridge of Spirits for the foreseeable future.

23. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I'll probably still wait for a Black Friday sale for Metroid Dread and get my Nintendo Switch OLED around that.

24. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
  25. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    This will be a purchase for me! Hopefully if this sells well they will do liberty and vice city stories.