main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I’d play it. To hell with Call of Duty and Overwatch, give me a new Guitar Hero, Spyro, and a THPS 3+4 Remaster and this deal was worth the 70 mil.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I have a local Round 1 arcade near me, and those Dance Dance Revolution/Guitar Hero-type games are among the most popular there.

3. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I never played Guitar Hero/ Rock Band when it was popular, I didn’t really listen to much music back then. I would play the absolute bejeezus out of them now but alas. Make a new one. Just do it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Hitman 3, the final installment of the reboot trilogy, launching on Steam tomorrow.

Cannot wait as I refuse to patronise the Epic Store.

5. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Confirmed he’ll be gone once the deal is done, I’ll be surprised if he ever shows up in games again.

The2ndQuest and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Short of hell freezing over, what would it take for Nintendo to sell?

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think that would have to be a very hostile takeover.

If later MS want to really turn the screws, they could apply the Ninty price model of game prices staying high years after release.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Keighley says Nintendo’s market cap alone is $54b, which is $15b less than the final Activision deal (which includes a 45% increase above their market cap).

And that’s before you factor in IP value of Mario, Pokemon company shares, etc. I’m no expert but I would have to imagine you’d be looking at 2-3x the price tag of Activision as an opening bid.

And after all of that, you’d still have to get past Nintendo’s internal defensive measures against take overs AND face the Japanese government’s general opposition to foreign takeovers of domestic corporations.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Technically Sega’s price tag is more like $4B+at least one of your executives being killed by the yakuza for trying to muscle in on their meal ticket.

… Er, allegedly.

11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    At the very least, Electronics King would make Phil beat his high score in OutRun.

Ramza and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One also assumes that there is the very real threat of Yamauchi rising from the grave as a vengeful spirit to rip the heart out of Furukawa’s, or whomever’s, chest for allowing the company to be bought out.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Maybe in a few years we'll see a new game called Mario, Sonic, Aloy & Master Chief Party. Talking about cross-platform play.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So there's been recent reports that Sony will bring on a new "long-awaited" feature to PSN that some are arguing could "give the PS4 and PS5 the edge over the Xbox consoles". What could this possibly be, you ask? A new update to bring in backwards compatibility for physical disks going back to PS1? More enhanced graphics? Even better load times?

Nope. Discord. I don't use that platform myself, but apparently it's all the rage among hard-core gamers. The article suggests that although (every console supports Discord, non have proper Discord integration). So apparently if/when the PlayStation consoles fully integrate the Discord channel into the PSN platform, that'll be a real game-changer.

Microsoft may have exclusive rights to Overwatch 2 (among other new exclusive games of the developers they just acquired), but the Sony gamers can brag about being able to TALK TO MORE PEOPLE WHILE THEY'RE PLAYING. Jealous much?

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    discord is a 7 billion dollar company, used by 350 million people. it is a huge deal to have it integrated into the sony platform (and not microsoft's), especially in the age of "content creation," where popular twitch and youtube streamers can interact with their viewers/customers.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But how does that equate to the casual gamer wanting to simply play their favorite games on a console? Do you honestly think that most people, if they saw ads for both the Xbox and its rights to exclusive titles vs. Sony and the potential for Discord integration, they'd flock to buy the PlayStation?

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    A ton of people use Discord not just hard core gamers. It probably won't give Sony the edge over Microsoft but it's not some niche platform

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't get it, but to each their own I guess. I'm an admin of a very large group on FB, and one of my fellow admins created a separate Discord channel and invited everyone. To this day I haven't jumped on the bandwagon. If I want to watch someone playing a game, I'll go to YouTube for a reaction/gameplay walkthrough video. I have a Twitch account, but I mainly use that for the freebies that's included with Amazon Prime.

19. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm 43, still don't know how to use Teamspeak let alone Discord.

My kids use it though so I can see it being quite a boost for sony

mobile drive by post

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It's a valid point that these moves are geared towards the younger generation of gamers. When I was in my late teens and into the twenties, the only "Social Media" platform option I had at the time was signing onto my AOL account via a dial-up modem.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yes we know back in the day you had walk to school uphill both ways in 6 feet of snow. Maybe try out Discord instead of dismissing it as something you don't get? You even said yourself you know people who already started their own server so you already have an advantage of knowing people instead of trying to make your way through an existing community of strangers.

Point Given likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Plus the PS5 is all about an integrated, within-the-screen experience - this does sound to fit well to it.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

My whole Korean learning server is on Discord. That's the way I use it.

24. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Yeah discord is huge. My niece and nephew don't even talk on their phones to their friends, its all discord or discord voice chat.

25. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I don't really use it for voice chat, but I use it a lot for servers belonging to podcasts and streamers I listen/watch, as well as for organising stuff in Destiny with my clan. Proper integration with Playstation would be amazing considering how much of a faff it is to use their voice chat.

solojones likes this.