main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    @dp4m so I just took Drezen. Holy heck that was one hell of a fight. An absolute endurance test. And when I finished it felt very triumphant. And apparently I did it well enough that I got the Queen's approval.

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I know it’s kinda cheating since it’s a music game, but the set list in Guitar Hero 2 is immaculate. A combination of the quality of the songs and the gradual way they increase the difficulty while still maintaining a consistent feel and vibe. Harmonix was excellent at crafting their soundtracks, and GH2 was their peak.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Depending on difficulty setting, I can usually do it in one go -- but they've made sure that there are like 4-5 rest areas as you clear too (although don't skimp out on killing the big named in the bar in the NE -- you get a good early $$$ reward after).

And yeah, the Drezen bit is the first really rough stretch -- especially the last couple of fights being a big step up from the individual skirmishes.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Bagged a load of on sale cheap stuff on Xbox.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

This game certainly has a reputation. I recall playing the demo and disliking it as every enemy was lightsaber resistant. Given how I found it then, I now suspect they messed up the difficulty setting for it.

It starts off well - an intro level where you're playing Vader is almost a total success. Watching Vader rip throw obstacles and Wookiees is very, very fun. So, that almost? The Rogue Jedi boss fight is terrible because it assumes you know stuff the game has not told you. You can batter your way through, but that and the end QTE isn't fun.

Talking of, the QTEs in this game blight it. The windows are small, the indicators are bad and they effectively stop you enjoying an epic scene because all you're looking for is the prompt. They also seriously disrupt boss fights by breaking any sense of flow.

It's other big failure is its Force throw which requires you to aim where you want to throw and release the trigger. Problem is its really hard to aim with the way the camera is and you have to aim and release exactly. If you don't, no throw. It renders it practically useless.

Outside of this it can be fun, so long as you allow for it being an old game. Thus the camera does not track enemies, and is also an enemy, especially on narrow platforms. No lock on or minimap indicators either.

It's OK but it also shows up just how much Jedi: Fallen Order pulled off.

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

These were the games that put Lego on the map. As such playing an opening level of TPM was hugely fun. It also lacked the nastiness of later games where the True Jedi collecting level is concerned.

It was also seriously boosted on the Series X. It practically matches last year's The Skywalker Saga.

Lego Star Wars III: Clone Wars

In contrast, this one does have the nastiness of requiring a much higher level of studs for True Jedi. It also is far less boosted and did some seriously weird and bad stuff.

The level wasn't too bad, but did like its streams of infinite enemies a bit too much. You close doors but then they get re-opened. Despite the perspective placing a lift in shadow and making it hard to see, you can get through thd level.

The Ventress boss fight isn't good. One later bit has you build a staircase to pursue her but the visusl signposting of it isn't good. Then the next bit is a robot fight where you have to target and throw your saber. Problrm is there was no animation shown of my doing that. Did damage by pure luck, again no saber throw animation. It then went into a final section with terrible perspective and controls.

Booted up a couple of YouTube vids and they had the saber animation that was entirely absent from my experience. All that does not encourage me to return to this game. I also questiom who this game is for, as it doesn't seem suited to adults nor kids. Having played the first game just before this really showed up the differences.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You're not wrong about GH2 being an excellent selection of tracks, but I think you have to disqualify music games and games that are musician adjacent or you get into weird territory like "Otherwise forgettable JRPG Eternal Sonata extensively features the works of Chopin" and "So, hear me out, there's this band called 'The Beatles'..."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Speaking of not using music, I was amused by Fallout:New Vegas that they built a whole street gang around Elvis Presley, based in a former school for Elvis impersonators, and it's obvious that they learned that licensing was way too expensive and they went ahead and kept the concept in the game anyways.

CT-867-5309 and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Hence why I said it’s kinda cheating, but I just can’t resist bringing up GH2 anytime the topic of great soundtracks is raised. :p That was a seminal game for me not just because it introduced me to rhythm games and a love for Harmonix’s work (it feels like Alex Navarro and I are the only two people in the world who still keep up with Rock Band DLC releases), but really opened up a broad range of music I’d never explored before. Hard as it is to believe, fourteen year old me had never heard any of that stuff before, at least not consistently enough to remember. Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Megadeth, Kansas, Rage Against the Machine, Foo Fighters, etc. Guitar Hero 2 was my gateway into all of that.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Anyone played/heard of Clone Hero? It's exactly what it sounds like. I've been playing it a lot lately with an XB360 Xplorer controller that I somehow managed to get for just $20 off of someone (they tend to sell for a lot more than that). You can get all the GH/RB charts and of course tons of community made charts.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm back to Skyrim until I get REmake 4 end of this month.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, Hit has put my copy of Trails to Azure in the post.

Combined with the last year release of Trails from Zero, I'll soon be off to Crossbell.

Hoping also that my continued buying of these convinces Falcom to actually remaster the Trails in the Sky trilogy for PS4. As that's the start of the Trails saga.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    6 Sept 2023 = Starfield release date

heels1785 likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    8 May 2024 = modders fix the bugs

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i haven't been gaming much recently, but i started playing project zomboid with a couple friends and it's super fun.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This may only be tangentially related to gaming/game dev, but, still, a hilarious (and helpful) watch:

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that's a bit of a bugger, no save transfer on The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice.

It's not entirely surprising though due to the changes and it is the kind of game where a second play with a different character will still work well.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For all that it is scarily huge, Elder Scrolls Online is mostly very fun. Mostly? We'll get to that.

What's nuts about it is you'll do what you think is a quest in the current area and it'll take you somewhere. So the choice is to do the quest there or work your way back to where you were, which can give you a great sense of it being a world.

The mostly bit then? It does these short but very irritating instant fail follow / stealth sequences. They are awful. No good indication as to what is too close or far, enemy patrol routes, cones of sight and distance. One of these near wrecked a zone story, success in it was very much due to luck.

Outside of this though it does have a neat line in world and areas. Being in a fight and getting help from another player or vice versa never gets old.

solojones and blackmyron like this.
  18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Can they fix the horrible old character models sooner please?

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That happens day one, it’s just that the first batch of better models are all weird fetish ****.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    Jedi Ben and solojones like this.
  20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I enjoy playing ESO, but I keep getting distracted by my backlog (plus, there's that Stellaris DLC dropping in a few days).

I guess if games I'm looking forward to continue to suck, I might actually get to clearing out the backlog before I die (but considering that two of the games are AC:eek:dyssey and AC:Valhalla, I doubt it)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Same same to ESO.. I'm like two years behind on expansions because I started two years after the game came out. So I own them all but still need to play them.

Ain't happening for a while though, with new Destiny stuff still occupying me.

Jedi Ben and blackmyron like this.
  22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I paid for the next-to-last expansion, and started playing again briefly (although it did like 100 updates from the last time I played [face_laugh])

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This is some bugged ESO bullcrap.

The puzzle is to repair this robot, the answer is supposed to be 3 gears, 5 cores, but it only lets me add 3 cores. After adding the third, there is no option to add more. The hell?

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, it was bugged.

It erased my progress when I exited, so re-did the portals. This time did the Vivec quest first then, second time around, it let me fit the 5 cores. It had also erased the parts previously picked up. Got past that and duffed up a Maulborn priest.

Weird.

solojones likes this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I've just found out that the upcoming MLB the Show 23 has a storyline mode about 8 Negro Leagues players, including KC legend Buck O'Neill, and that it was made in concert with the famous Negro Leagues baseball museum here in KC.

IGN just rated the mode as excellent.

Guess I'm playing that game for the first time then!