main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Have Civ 6 on PC, It's excellent and is possibly the best version yet. I will be investing for the Switch for Portable world domination reasons

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Will you be also investing in these to aid you on your portable quest for domination?

[​IMG]

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Captain Morgan is a staple for World domination

I support his plans and like his use of Lamb Navy and his friend Pusser.

We try to be wary of Kraken but recognise their dark spiciness hold hidden depths that delving into the Woods can fail to deliver.

Chewgumma likes this.
  4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Gave it a go....i'm going to give it a rest for now. It's a much different type of RPG i'm used to due to the combat system. There's a lot I love about this game (character building, story, soundtrack and the overall look of it) - but I need to learn about the combat.

For now, i'm playing another bucket list game of mine: System Shock 2.

I'm about 15 hours into this and currently on Deck 5. As far as RPGs go, SS2 is definitely more me. In fact, it's shaping up to be one of my all time favourites.

But, i'll return to KOTOR once I read up on it.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Classic Lucasarts adventure games (minus the ones with the updated editions) are $2.04 on Steam right now - original SAM AND MAX, MANIAC MANSION, INDIANA JONES AND FATE OF ATLANTIS, and more!

Ramza and solojones like this.
  6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I finished Kingdom Hearts 2 today. Now I'm watching the movie of 358/2 Days so I can jump into Birth by Sleep.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Anyone use GoodOldGames.com? Their library is pretty impressive, but I haven't bought anything as of yet.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes. GOG is good.

Ramza likes this.
  9. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Aaaannnd finished System Shock 2 - greatest gaming sequel of all time. This one will definitely be on frequent rotation in 2019.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Chewgumma & solojones as a pair of bickering outlaws in the old west is a movie I really want to see now.

Chewgumma and solojones like this.
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    He's the Sundance to my Butch.

Chewgumma likes this.
  12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You know, I was a little skeptical of Hitman 2 incorporating all of the last Hitman's levels with no saved progress, but after like a half hour with the new mechanics I'm pretty stoked to replay all of those old levels in the improved engine. Maybe I'll actually unlock the descrambler for Hokkaido this time.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Speaking of Hitman, I "accidentally" killed everyone in Landslide. I couldn't find the lawyer (I wanted the wig), so I assume he ended up a corpse. I went with the interesting "disguises" most of the time.

[​IMG]

"Fake" NPCs just stand around.

[​IMG]

Dude still goes up on stage in front of a hundred dead people.

[​IMG]

Good thing I destroyed the security system, otherwise my score would have been terrible.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I just purchased Hitman 2 a few days ago. The new mechanics make the game easier for me. Cover in plants and hiding in crowds particularly. Also accident kills don't count against Silent Assassin, so I actually managed to get SA in Colombia on the first playthrough, and I got SA suit only without much effort in a couple of levels. Maybe I just got good at the game without noticing. Still, mechanics aside, nothing in Hitman 2 is as hard going into as Colorado was (so many enforcers, insta-trespassing and literally every NPC carries a rifle).

Oh, and it seems like unlocking things is a lot easier with this experience system.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think it's a mix of things being somewhat more lenient and also communicated more clearly, on top of experience (as you say, nothing's a new Colorado but, on the other hand, by this point I've played a lot of Colorado). But I think most of the changes are for the better - I definitely found myself more willing to experiment without sweating trying to pull off precision runs the way I did in the first game, and since dumbass experimental guffaws are what got me to buy the game in the first place I'm all for it. I'm pretty satisfied with the overall package.

Also I finally figured out how to pull off the final mission of Patient Zero in under four minutes and it's the best, dumbest thing ever. And they reward you for it! God I love this game.

Darth Guy likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The only time I played I ended up killing everyone. There were a lot of infected and it was almost impossible to kill them without alerting all the non-infected (mostly the guys in the HAZMAT suits).

Also, to be clear, I enjoy Hitman 2 a lot and I like the new mechanics. I didn't like it being a pain in the ass in the first one to unlock anything worthwhile. Mumbai and Colombia are great maps. I was just surprised by how easy I found some of the levels.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Ramza likes this.
  17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Is Sundance the one who accidentally blows up his own horse while trying to halt a carriage with a stick of dynamite? Because, yes, then I'm Sundance.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, that's exactly what happened my first time through. It kind of turned into this weird slasher comedy where 47 was just running around in a black suit and red mask chucking a meat cleaver at everyone. By contrast my speed run, being much more serious in tone, consisted of hitting three dudes with a fish before pumping two old guys full of lead.

Darth Guy likes this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

God doesn't love you. Not like I do.

Well, I finished Outlast 2 after taking a really long break for a few reasons (I got a couple of games from the library, so I needed to play them and get them returned; the Game Award nominations; etc.). I'm . . . really mixed on this game. I kind of hate to just compare it to the first game, but it's kind of natural, I guess. It's way more polished than Outlast and way, way, way more expansive. I'd like to see a map of this game actually because you traverse, like, miles and miles of environment.

I'd say, on the whole, it's not as constantly tense as the first Outlast and the fact that you travel so much and so far means that most of the memorable enemy characters only appear for a brief time and then disappear which, on the whole, I like better than the way Chris Walker would just magically appear everywhere you went in the first game. And Outlast 2 is up to some serious subversion of the usual game tropes. They go quite a ways setting up a particular character as like a really big important enemy and then . . . the final confrontation with the character is less than five minutes (and it's probably about ten minutes total they're in the game) and you don't even fight them or run from them at all; they die from something totally unrelated to you. That's really weird, but I kinda respect it in a subversive way. Also, they break one of the major rules of horror games which is that when you're in documents or looking at artifacts, you're safe. Pretty early in the game, I went into my camera to look at something and suddenly a guy was stabbing me; he had just found me while I was looking at the document. This really did add to the game a lot, because I would find a document or make a video and then I would have to explore a bit to find a dark corner or a locker to actually hide while I read the notes or watched the video. That was pretty cool.

But while I say it's not as constantly tense or as reliant on big jump scares when the game decides to go in those directions, it ******* kills it, maybe because it is more judicious than the first game. There's a jump scare at one point that is legitimately one of the biggest jump reactions I've ever had to any jump scare. Not just game jump scares; like movie or TV as well. It's easily like top five scares I've ever encountered. And there's a sequence late in the game where you encounter a group of enemies that . . . well . . . kind of weird to just say it, but the sounds they make are. *******. terrifying. I would say those guys are scarier than anything in the first game. I also really like that Blake isn't a silent protagonist as the protagonists of both Outlast & Whistleblower were. It's a good performance and it adds to some scenes in a pretty big way.

I'm struggling to make sense of the story. It's more complicated than the first game, in large part, well, I kind of don't want to spoil it, because, end of the day, whatever issues I'm having with the game as a whole, it's absolutely worth playing. But let's say that it toys with the nature of reality. I mean, Outlast was clear in a practical sense, start to finish what was happening. I mean, it was a mystery, but it never made you wonder when or if you were in the real world or seeing things that weren't real. When the credits started rolling at the end of this game, I was just straight up . . . not sure what had really happened at various points in the game. I'm still not sure, but as I'm typing this, a big clue just popped into my head and I'm actually kind of wanting to go play the last ten minutes or so of the game again to try to spot something in the last couple of scenes now that I have this idea in my head. I'm holding off on reading up on the game because I kind of want to just sit with the story for a while and see how things shake out. The fact that, an hour after I finished the game, I just had a realization about something is evidence that this is a good idea, I think. But, even if I am having some issues getting my head around it, it's better than the first game's story which got to kind of feel like a Father Martin snipe hunt at a certain point. The objectives are better here and more integrated into your movement through the environments. I'd say this is a more immersive game because the objectives aren't intrusive when they pop up, you read all the documents through your camera interface instead of having them pop up on the screen in an obviously fake way, the story beats are more organic.

Anyway, very different, but still quite scary, occasionally genuinely terrifying. More complicated story, better visuals, way more expansive. Maybe a little too ambiguous about some things, but I'm still turning those over. Subversive in ways that are satisfying and in some ways that kind of aren't. Right off the bat, I'd say Whistleblower is still the most visceral of the series so far, but Outlast 2 is way more polished and has a more engaging and complex story. Definitely play it. If you liked the first Outlast or the first two, then it's a must play, I'd say. I guess the developers said they're having trouble figuring out what DLC they might get out of this story and I kind of agree with them that I'm not sure what it would be. So, they're saying they might go back to Mount Massive or something for a DLC. Not sure how I feel about that. They should do something, I think, that would kind of make the two games connect in a more obvious way. We'll see.

Chewgumma, solojones and heels1785 like this.
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Guys, I saw on Reddit that some guy made a compete recreation of PT. I don't know how accurate it is, but I downloaded it so I'll have it before Konami nukes it.

If you want it, google Unreal PT.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Chewgumma like this.
  21. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Revisiting Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Director's Cut) on New Game+ mode. So, i'm basically the ultimate super spy.

Found this little gem. I love this game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blackmyron likes this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Um, so, yeah, I'll try not to go on very long here, but I've been mulling over Outlast 2 for a little over a full day. I also went and did a little bit of reading about the ending online. And, look, this game is fantastic. As I was thinking about the story and kind of trying to figure it out, I kept remembering little details from throughout the game and kind of putting things together and, well, I understand everything now, though there are a few things that are left ambiguous. Anyway, I literally had a Fridge Brilliance moment earlier where I suddenly realized something and literally gasped out loud.

So, I know what's real and what isn't; I know why the things that aren't real were happening or appearing to happen; I understand what happens in those last two scenes that were so confusing to me. It all makes sense. I thought they were kind of taking the easy way out and kind of being like, "eh, nobody'll think about this too much, so it doesn't have to make complete sense." I was wrong. It all makes sense. And it's been a real emotional ride over the time since I finished the game. And I'm prepared to say this now: Outlast 2 is a masterpiece. The ambition and scope of telling two stories at once (kind of three stories, if you think about it) is breathtaking and now I can see just how meticulously it was put together with details all through the game that should be clues to what's happening. And realizing all of that has really unfolded the character of Blake and he's an amazing character, really rich and complicated.

They did an Outlast comic that was intended to kind of connect the two games in a more obvious and explicit way and I haven't read it, but I read a summary and there's a bit in the comic that takes place after Outlast 2 and it reveals some things that I don't like. But I'm not counting that as "canon," though I guess the Outlast creators were involved. I have in my head exactly what happens in those last two scenes and there is some ambiguity that could lead you to conclude a few different things. But that ambiguity has allowed me to kind of craft part of the meaning of those scenes for myself; you could easily read it a different way, but I'm choosing to read it one way and with that as the ending, I think this is an incredibly emotionally satisfying story, way more than the stories in either of the first game. I feel like I've never had quite this experience with a game before.

Anyway, Whistleblower is still the most visceral and downright terrifying game of the three, but Outlast 2 is the all-around best game and not by just a little, by a lot. If anybody in here ends of playing it, we should talk about it. Anyway, yeah, it's a great, great game and I think the character of Blake and the ultimate resolution of his story is going to stay with me a long time.

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I went into Bangkok for the first time in Hitman 2 thinking, "I'm gonna Silent Assassin this mother****er. I know how to do it!"

[​IMG]

Oops.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    CT-867-5309, Chewgumma and Ramza like this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Silent Assassin on Bangkok is crazy hard, mostly because it might have the most difficult to access security room of any map and there are cameras and witnesses everywhere. I'm honestly not sure how to do it short of memorizing every single camera location on a given optimal route.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  25. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Finished God of War last night. Utterly magnificent. Not just game of the year, arguably one of the games of the generation. Certainly up there for me with Persona 5 and The Witcher 3. I'd not played a God of War game before, but that didn't matter in the slightest. Learning about Kratos' past is done in such a way that you're in the same position as Atreus if you're unfamiliar with the previous games, but acts as nice references if you are.

Gone back to Red Dead Redemption 2 having finished GOW. There's something about RDR2 that stops me from truly loving it. Maybe the fact Morgan handles like a pissed cow, that doesn't help. It's wonderfully scripted though and I do like the story. I just wish the gameplay was better.

Oh and I'm also working my way through Octopath Traveller. Needed something decent for my Switch as I didn't really care for Zelda. It's an incredibly charming game with an old school JRPG aesthetic that I love. Not too far in, only three hours or so, but I already like it more than Breath of the Wild.

solojones likes this.