main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

F.A.D.C- Fans Against Dead Chewbacca

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Anakin_Solo02, Sep 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin_Solo02

Anakin_Solo02 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2002
    Who thinks it's unfair that the njo has killed off arguably the two most popular characters- chewie and anakin? I think i'd rather see han, leia or luke dead rather than chewie or anakin. If you think so too, post here!

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    You'd rather see Han, Leia or Luke dead then Chewie ? You do realize, of course, that if that happened there wouldnt be anymore SW lit... ?

3. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    nah, i guess not....however i would rather see han, leia OR luke dead rather than anakin solo. not all three of them, just one of them, rather than anakin. and you don't need han, leia AND luke for sw lit.

4. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    How about we just settle for them all being alive and breathing?

No SW character should die.

And I can think of one way Chewie could have escape. Unlike DR, I have an imagination! ;)

5. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    chewie nor anakin should have been killed...but some characters must. if they were going to kill a solo child, it should have been jacen in star by star, since he was the least popular of the three, at least at that time. anakin's character was built up excellently and to kill him was to lose money on future books about him that would have sold well. the same thing with chewie.

6. Runaway_Shadow

Runaway_Shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Boy you post too many new threads. That's not good...

7. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    i didn't mean to post them other ones, i thought i just hit preview, since i was thinking of ideas. it is way too many though, really the return of anakin solo and the characters that really get on your nerves were the only ones i meant to post.

8. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I will join your crusade. I too am against the death of Chewbacca

9. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    I never liked Anakin much; wasn't sorry to see him go.

It sucked when Chewie died, but I am not going to get upset about it.

It's all a part of life. It was definitely interesting to see a main character bite it. I think it made the NJO more interesting, if not more depressing.

10. JediStarMoonstruck

Feb 19, 2002
    I do not see how the death of a beloved character made SW more interesting.

As to depressing, SW is not supposed to be depressing.

11. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    i'd agree with moonstruck.

12. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Indeed it does make SW more interesting! It allows for different characters to become just as beloved as the orginal characters...and we value the orginal characters more because they're not immortal. What's fun about always knowing that those characters will never die?

13. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    "Who thinks it's unfair that the njo has killed off arguably the two most popular characters"

Then you say you'd rather Han, Leia or Luke would die. I think if you done a poll, the last three would probably prove more popular than the first two...

Anyway, if you're going to have an uprising against a character's death, why not Darth Vader, Jango Fett, Obi-wan, Qui-Gon or someone? Just because Chewie and Anakin died in EU books, doesn't make it any different.

14. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    kwenn-

chewie and anakin were two of my top 5 favorite characters, and i believe that if we took a poll, right here and now, that anakin solo would prove to be the most popular, probably followed by jaina and jacen, all three ahead of their parents AND luke. chewie'd be up there two.

15. JediStarMoonstruck

Feb 19, 2002
    Indeed it does make SW more interesting! It allows for different characters to become just as beloved as the orginal characters...and we value the orginal characters more because they're not immortal. What's fun about always knowing that those characters will never die?
    It's fun knowing I can have the worst day of my life, but come home, pick up a SW book, read it, and find hope in what my heroes do. I can't do that now because it hurts to read SW nowadays. Knowing that my heroes can go through every nightmare imaginable and live through it helps me realize that just because I've had a bad day doesn't mean that I should quit.

Anyway, if you're going to have an uprising against a character's death, why not Darth Vader, Jango Fett, Obi-wan, Qui-Gon or someone?
    I have to make a list for this:
    DV: I didn't like it when he died, but I also realized the Rebels would kill him for his crimes. Better a death in happiness with his son than for sad things.
    Jango Fett: This is easy. Where was he in the OT? I would've like it if he lived, at least to Ep. 3, but this is most likely setting up something with Boda.
    Obi-Wan: Did you know that he was not set to die until the very last draft of SW? And besides, we heard his voice telling Luke at the end of the film what to do. That gave us the impression that something else was at work here. GL never really wanted to kill Ben.
    Qui-Gon: Another easy one. If Qui-Gon had lived, he most likely would have trained Anakin. We know that's not true, Obi-Wan trained Anakin. What else was there to do with Qui-Gon? I didn't like his death, either but I knew that it was going to happen.

Chewie is different. He is an estabished hero of the OT and literary heroes do not die because it would defeat their purpose of being a hero.

16. Kwenn

Mar 30, 2001
    OK, you're not angry at DV, Jango et al dying because it was for a purpose. Chewbacca died to save Anakin. Though I haven't yet read SbS, Anakin died to kill a load of Vong, I believe. They died heroes, and for a purpose.

17. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Actually Anakin didn't die to save a lot of people. He died becasue they botched the mission.

And Chewie did not have to die to save Anakin - they could have just wrote it a different way

18. JediStarMoonstruck

Feb 19, 2002
    Chewie was already a hero; his 'death' reversed all of his actions, causing them to be in vain.

Anakin helped save the children on Yavin, his 'death' caused all of his actions to be in vain as well.

19. Kwenn

Mar 30, 2001
    "And Chewie did not have to die to save Anakin - they could have just wrote it a different way"

Therefore, Qui-Gon's death could have been written a different way; maybe he didn't have to die, but left the Order after almost being killed by Maul.... :)

Sorry if I'm getting annoying, but I don't like it when EU deaths are singled out over the deaths in the films...

20. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Please use the Chewbacca Fan Club to post your thoughts on this matter.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.