main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Fabric Finds!

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Benae_Quee, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I'm starting this thread for those of us looking for a specific fabric that we can't find ourselves. NYC is a GREAT place to find tons of different fabrics at a wide range of prices, and I always come across something great.

So far I've found...
    Exact match Mustard Green robe Silk Velvet ($9/yd) SOLD OUT
    ANH Leia poly (hangs GREAT and is the perfect sheerness without being see through - $3/yd) Khan Fabrics 718-234-7323
    Picnic Dress cape material in a golden color with red roses ($6.99/yd) Khan Fabrics 718-234-7323

This is the place to post your fabric finds, or a specific one you are looking for.

I'm fabric shopping today in NYC, if I find anything, I'll let you know :)

2. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Ok, I have a challenge for you Miss NYC ;) I'm looking for the perfect embroidered inset for the center of my Rosie Cotton bodice. . .you can see a picture of it here http://www.rosiesamfrodo.com/nowhere/rosieimages/wellimback4.jpg. . .the embroidery needs to be between 10-11 inches tall, between 3-4" wide at the bottom (can be wider at the top), and there must be at least 16" of fabric available top to bottom(though I can piece, if needs be) to actually cut for the center front piece. I've been looking on eBay, and I'm not totally in love with a perfect match (though I'd love it if I could possibly get it), but close will do. . .
    If you find this, I will name my first-born after you. . boy or girl ;)

3. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I've been looking for 4-way stretch black PVC/vinyl
    I've found a bunch of 2-way and have stocked up on that while its around, but can't find the 4-way by me anymore.

4. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I'm looking for fabrics for any of the Palpatine costumes, ROTS Mon Mothma and Queen of Alderaan.

5. wraith13

wraith13 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    What great timing! I was just about to order this fabric for the Blue Striped gown from Sleepy Hollow but got an email saying they were all out. The stripes are 1/4" wide. Please let me know if you ever stumble across it.
    I'm also looking for the leaf lace trim for the Black & White Striped gown.
    Thank you so much for offering to do this. :)

wraith13

(Edit: Ack! They just took down the order information. The fabric is a steel blue striped cut velvet from Nobilis. There are three thin blue stripes between the velvet.)

6. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I did find a nice red wool (great weave and color), and red velvet for the red Palpy costume yesterday. The velvet was $10/yd I believe. I don't recall how much the wool was though.

7. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    If you ever come across the diamond patterned lining fabric for Padme's Green Velvet Robe sleeves that would be most excellent. Right now I decided to go with a plain potting soil brown, but would like to change it to something better eventually.

~Doc_Bev

8. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    Hey BQ, think you could find a good brown wool with an orange windowpane design fairly inexpensively? I'm looking for about 5 yards of it for my friend's Samwise costume :)

9. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I'll keep an eye for anything :) I'm fabric shopping this weekend for Wedding dress fabrics :D

I'll make a list and compare it to what I see.

10. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks :) The windowpane design is entirely negligable. . .I can add it in if needs be, especially if it's cheap. :)

11. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    EK, do you have a picture of what you mean, this way I can get a better idea?

12. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    Actually, never mind. I found a topcoat which should be perfect with a little modification. Therefore, no last minute tailoring! Hooray!

13. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    Last night I went fabric shopping with a few people and we found excellent material for the Black Invasion dress! It's not a lace like the original, but a burnout velvet with a great spiderwebby pattern on it. It was half off and would have been $12 yard, I think it was about 48"-50" wide. I might go back and get it just because its gorgeous.

I'd like to thank Lelila and Jedi_Jaina09 for joining JadeSolo and I last night :) Fabric shopping in a group is fun (as long as we leave the boys outside ;) lol).

14. Padawan_Tai-lin

Padawan_Tai-lin Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2005
    I found some great wool garbardine at www.fabric.com. It was on sale and the color is called cocoa brown. It's got great drape, small twill diagonal weave and almost looks olive brown. Good for a jedi robe! These guys (& gals) have lots of sales and good discounts.

15. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Heads up: Rosen & Chadick in NYC has a pretty good match for the Green Cut Velvet Robe, in real silk velvet. It's not that mustardy, but it's a nice mossy green. They've got two hefty rolls of it--I don't know what 12 yds looks like rolled up, but it's definitely enough to make one robe, maybe even two. And the store can restock it--they actually prefer that you order in bulk, so if several people want this fabric they can make a pool to order a big amount.

Unfortunately, this fabric is only for the rich--it's $29.99 a yard. They also have another green velvet that is lower in luster and more of a true green than a moss/mustard green; it's probably cheaper and they have two huge rolls of that too, so whoever would be willing to compromise on color a little can buy that. I've seen both personally, and I think either fabric would make a nice costume.

Here is the store info (they're open on Saturdays too):

Rosen & Chadick Fabrics
    561 7th Avenue (corner of 40th St.)
    2nd and 3rd floor
    New York, NY 10018

Phone: (212) 869-0142
    Fax: (212) 730-5865

If anyone wants me to find out fabric ID numbers for ordering, let me know. I pass it on the way to work everyday. I'll go check it out again sometime to see if they have anything else of interest.

16. koolduede

koolduede Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    i found this good fabric for the lining fabric for Padme's Green Velvet Robe sleeves. its not exactly right but is a good look a like http://www.gofabric.com/customer/product.php?productid=16142&cat=249&page=2 its $11.95 a yard

17. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    So, I'm looking for this fabric. . .I wonder if it's that silly knit fleecey stuff. . .or something else entirely. If it's the knit, I think I'd have to flatline it, since I don't want it to stretch at all, and it's clearly lined in other pictures. Anyone seen anything non-stretchy which looks like this?

18. Jedi_Jaina09

Jedi_Jaina09 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    It's good to see some other people here are fans of RENT. :)

Onstage, I thought this costume was just plain red velvet, but the movie version looked a lot like short "poodle" fabric, which is the stuff people use to make padme's dressing gown. I'm guessing this is the "silly knit fleecey stuff" you mentioned. A google search yielded this. It's avaliable at www.virginiaquilter.com, and is pretty close, but isn't as bright and is a bit expensive. I'm not sure about the stretchyness either.

19. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes! Poodle knit! That's right! Yeah, onstage I think it was just velvet, but the costume has been redesigned for the film. It now has garland within the fur trim and the poinsettias in the hair have been tamed quite a lot. The redesign for the Ms Galore (intentional edit, I'm sure we know of which Bond girl I'm speaking) costume was fabulous! So much better than the original! I already have bought the boots on eBay. I'm so pumped to wear this to D*C, assuming I can go :)

20. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    JadeSolo and I went Fabric shopping today for my wedding fabric and found the Flame burnout velvet for the AOTC Purple Loyalist dress :D. I bought 8 yards of it from this place that is closing this week for $4/yd :eek:. Two downsides though... Its polyester and its currently a beige-tan color. It is the SAME exact flame pattern that was on the original. Like I said, it's a beige-tan color and poly, but if anyone wants it at $4/yd let me know ASAP, becuase they are gone by thursday. I also got some great mock up fabrics for $0.50 and $1/yd, not the prettiest, but its just for mock ups anyway lol.

Also found a good stretch shiny black vynal, but its $10/yd :( (58"-60" wide)

21. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I found some coffee-liquer brown wool flannel at denverfabrics.com. Good service, the fabric came right away. The fabric was $9/yd and 80% wool/20% nylon, medium weight with a good drape. I made it into a great, wooly Jedi robe. :D

I would love to find some "jersey bourette silk knit". That's what Qui-Gon Jinn's undershirt was supposed to be made out of according to the 'Dressing A Galaxy' book. It sounds like fabulous fabric all by itself, even if I don't use it for a Jedi costume. But have you ever tried to find bourette silk, even on the internet? It's tough to even find information on what bourette silk IS. (it's a coasrsely woven silk made from cocoon scraps and not the thread of the cocoon itself). Just finding bourette silk at all is impossible unless you want British nappies. But finding it in a jersey knit weave, too??? Arg!! I did find some regular silk knit fabric for $10/yd at fashionfabrics.com (also good service). Too much of a sheen for Jedi clothes, but it will be perfect for undershirts and underwear.

22. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    Resurrecting this thread to ask for some help. A while back, I posted some research photos of a costume I'm working on, to ask if anyone could help with the fabric used. . .Thanks to an internet friend with connections, I've found out exactly what it is, and where it was originally purchased. Tricky thing is, it doesn't seem to exist at any of those stores. Sooo. . .I thought I'd see if any of you might be able to help. . .http://www.hancockfabrics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=12596&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=chenille Here's the exact stuff. . .I need 6 yards of it. . .wonder if anyone smart could help with it. . .Please? I'll bake you cookies.. . and they'll be good too :)

23. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    I found out today that was wrong about the stuff they had on the Hancock website, but there is some stuff that's just perfect at Hancock. . .if it were in the right color. All they have is pink and aqua. I need red. Drat! I'll get some close pictures of the stuff at Hancock. It might be a promotional fabric, which of course means they can't get any more of it, nor is it likely to come in another color. . .grrr!!! It's called "Springs Glam Girlz," and it's a short pile textured fur/silky fleece-style thing. I knew it was perfect the moment I saw it. . .if only it were red! Anyway, I'm through venting, but if anyone sees it, please let me know.
    Sarah
    Reference image below:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/electrakittydesigns/detail?.dir=5732&.dnm=9708re2.jpg&.src=ph

24. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Obi-Wan Ep III Tabard & Tunic fabric

Britex Fabrics in San Francisco has a linen/cotton blend loose weave fabric that is almost identical to that used on Obi's Tunic. As I recall it is $10.99/yard. The weight, weave, and feel is identical. Only difference is that it lacks the slight 3-D rippled texture of the fabric used in the movie. It's also lighter in color, and would need to be dyed.

I scanned a side by side comparison:

[image=http://kay-dee.net/costumes/obiwan/britexswatch.jpg]

The fabric had me so excited I was wishing I had an excuse to make the costume!

Dorme's AOTC Travel Dress (a.k.a. goodbye dress)

http://www.padawansguide.com/aotc_handmaidens5.shtml

The Diagonal Doubleweave Habotai, 45" at Thai Silks seems awfully darn close to what was used for Dorme's bodice and skirt (if I had known I would have taken a sample to fidm to compare). It only comes in white so it would have to be dyed.

- Kay Dee

25. DOMNUSKYWALKER

DOMNUSKYWALKER Jedi Master star 2

Aug 12, 2005
    looking for fabric for Padme's Blue Senet dress from episodeII
    The one with the vase frame headdress. The design of the fabric is leafy looking. Its blue with purple hue to it. Quiet fantastic.
    Any hints of where I might find it would be appreciated

Also looking for the white cape material Padme' were on Geonosis.

Chris
    domnuskywalker@yahoo.com