main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Falcon's Art--Index Pg.1--Replies and Update [04/05/09]: Darth Caedus... :(

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by FalconFan, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey, Esira, thanks for stopping in and taking time to comment. For me, likenesses tend to be a bit "hit-and-miss:" sometimes they'll just drop onto the paper--and sometimes I end up tossing an attempt! As to the shading: it consists mostly of "scribbling in" the "darker" areas, then smudging, either with a fingertip (a technique I learned very recently from our mod, HS29! ;) ) or tortillon--for the "impression" of hair/fur, I'll then "sweep" a sharpened pencil from the darker areas into the lighter. I normally depend a lot on the reference photo I'm using for the picture.

soits--thanks again, my friend! I always appreciate your taking time to visit and comment! Yeah--I like doing eyes! "The window to the soul..."
    ;)

FF

2. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    :eek:

Wow, FalconFan. I think your work's the best fanart I have ever seen. Ever.

Amazing, beautiful stuff. I really love your Han, Jacen and Kyp drawings. Very nice. Also, I like that portrait you drew of Jacen and Jaina--they actually looked like twins :p

I'm guessing you're a J/Jer, but if you ever could, do you think you could sneak in a Kyp and Jaina drawing? I'd really love to see you draw the two of them together. I absolutely adore your work.

Kudos once again!

Oh, and have I mentioned how much I envy you? ;)

3. JW-Titus

JW-Titus Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2004
    Indeed, FalconFan, excellent work!

I'm amazed by the realistic look and feel you give your drawings. And the life you give their eyes is fantastic!

I wish you much success. :)

4. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Thank you so much, Deneveon! That's high praise indeed, considering the company we keep here in the Fan Art Forum! ;) Check out the threads of Cheveyo, HS29, Ty_Ordell, soitscometothis, Obi_Dawn...--man, I could fill up this reply with names! These are actually far more talented than myself (I think)--but thank you for your wonderful praise! [face_blush]
    And I sent you a PM, regarding the K/J query! ;)

JW-Titus--thank you for your visit, and for your comments. I very much appreciate them! :)

FF

5. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Wow FalconFan! :eek:

I'm really impressed by your style,as others have said before, you have an excellent way of shading your drawings making them seem so realistic in ways. A very cool portrait style about it. I'm really impressed with your Droidekas! Nice job! :)

Excellent, keep up the outstanding work!

DZ

6. MasterSareBabe

MasterSareBabe Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2004
    I love the Han/Leia one! Very unique! :)

7. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    *bows humbly to the Master, DarthZemog* ;) Thank you, DZ, for visiting again! I always love looking thru your thread, at your wonderful characterizations and artistic style, and it's an honor to have your input and comments! [face_blush]

MasterSareBabe--yeah, I love that picture (meaning the reference photo that I drew from!) of Han and Leia, leaning into each other on Bespin, that heady instant before a kiss! :D What better choice for a Valentine's Day drawing? Thanks for stopping by again! :)

I'm heading out of town for a few days, so won't be back for a while--a great big Thank You! to everyone who takes time to visit! :D

FF

8. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    I can't believe I've never looked at these before; they're excellent! I really like the "It's worse..." picture. Classic! :)

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    My submission for the March Challenge--Vader, trying to seduce Luke to the Dark Side during their battle in ESB. This was a tough one: I had no idea how difficult all the "black" would be to shade! :) I think it turned out okay, though!

[image=http://img166.exs.cx/img166/2637/vaderesb7go.jpg]

FF

10. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I think it turned out okay

Okay? It's amazing; you captured the moment perfectly. Personally, may favorite type of art (besides digital) is pencil drawings. I love the detail you put into all your work, i.e. the pipes in your latest drawing. You also do highlights very nicely - something that I, quite frankly, am terrible at.

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yes, definitely more than "okay." It looks exactly like a photograph in how you did all the shading. Amazing work, FalconFan! :D

I'm purposely holding back on this challenge since I've always had a bit of a problem drawing Vader. He always came out looking quite strange. *shrugs*

12. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Wow, when I saw Vader I had to drop to my knees and hold my breath... was I the only one hearing him breathing?

13. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Wow :eek: that Vader is good!

Like Solo said, it looks just like a photograph!
    Very nice work! =D=
    One thing that I do notice though, dare I point it out, is that his head seems a little toofar to the left. It makes his right shoulder seen longer than the other. Or maybe thats just me. [face_blush]
    Its an amazing drawing though, I truly hope that one day I will eb able to draw like you!
    Again, I love the way you shade! It always looks so cool!

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That's a great drawing of a great image. Those truncated stumps in the foregroud can't help but remind you that Luke's arm is in a similar condition. Poor Luke.

It looks like you have got more texture in your drawing; have you changed the paper you're working on?

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks everyone! You're all so nice! [face_blush]

DVA--yeah, pencil is my exlusive medium right now, and has always been my favorite: easy to use, lots of flexibility (read that as "erasable!") and relatively inexpensive. Thanks for your comments! :)

HS29--ah, don't be shy! I took a stab at the droideka for Art Class (and I virtually *never* draw mechanical stuff! ;) )--have a go at Vader! As Esira points out, mine has some "proportion problems" too, so it isn't just you! ;) As always, thanks for taking a look and for your kind words!

CeiranHarmony--there you are! Thanks for the kind comments! Is he breathing...? :)

Esira--yeah, I guess I saw that proportion thing, too, but only after I had gotten halfway through shading his torso--and I didn't want to have to erase all that graphite to fix it! :D There really is something to be said for putting things aside for a while, then going back to look at them again. With this one, I went straight through, and didn't do the "mirror" thing, either. :rolleyes: Live and learn! And thanks for the honest critique! ;)

I have a nice picture of Ep. II Anakin and Padme that I may take a stab at next--we'll see! Thanks to everyone for stopping in again! :p

FF

16. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Wow FalconFan, your Vader is amazing! :D

Excellent job on the shading, especially in detailing his suit and armor! Very well done! :)

-DZ

17. Esira

Feb 2, 2005
    Oh, I sooo know how you feel! I can never bring myself to erase stuff when I spot a mistake! I guess thats the real trick about being an artist, spotting your mistakes early or having the strangth to change them!

But I'm not one to talk, I'm terrible when it comes to spotting my own mistakes!!

Ooh and I can't wait to see the Anakin and Padme one, I'm sure you will do it justice!! Your work is always wonderful to look at!!! :D

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    ah, don't be shy! I took a stab at the droideka for Art Class (and I virtually *never* draw mechanical stuff! wink )--have a go at Vader!

Hmm...you have a point. You just backed me into a corner. :p Alright, I have a day off tomorrow, so I'll see what I can come up with. :)

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks for having a look, soitscometothis--yeah...poor Luke! ;) As to the "texture" you mention: it may be due to the extensive use of tortillons for blending the graphite in this one. I used the same paper I normally do here, but really did a lot of "scrubbing" with the tortillons, trying to achieve the different levels of black (gray...?), and it may have simply "revealed" a lot more of the paper's texture. That's my theory, anyhow! :p

DarthZemog--it's such a treat to have you stopping in and taking time to comment! This was a tough one to shade, with all the dark values and the pronounced highlights on parts of the armor--I'm glad it looks good to you! Thanks! [face_blush]

Han--I didn't mean to pressure you, Mme. Moderator! I just so love your work, and I think a Vader by you would be soooo awesome! How about this: If you can get around to it, why don't you try Vader? :D ;)

FF

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    After much "reworking," the RPG character I volunteered to draw for bmw17 is done, and I wanted to put it here, so it could be linked, as was requested. This is my first stab at creating a character from purely a written description (a Jedi padawan w/ light brown skin, a lightsaber and a blaster, with a "leadership attitude"--there's quite a bit more, in the request thread). There was quite a bit of "chatting" back and forth with the requester, to get the "details" right--but I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks, too!

Mavier, RPG Character:

[image=http://img22.exs.cx/img22/1618/mavier9yj.jpg]

FF

21. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    :eek: FalconFan, you are amazing. I mean, I have so much respect for artists who actually use the traditional mediums (paint, pencil, etc.) but, d00d, you take the cake! You are so extremely and very good!!!

Do you take requests? :D [face_batting]

22. Esira

Feb 2, 2005
    Woah, thats amazing! :eek:
    Again you leave me gobsmacked! :D
    I think I should go off and practise drawing men now, cuz I totally can't!
    Truly amazing drawing FF

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Outstanding!

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    It looks fantastic, FalconFan! For your first drawing of a person going from a description, it looks great! It looks like you've been doing that type of thing for years. It matches the short description you posted almost exactly! I also really admire you for being able to do this sort of thing. It takes a really good imagination to come up with the right look for a character and then to transfer that image onto paper. You definitely have a special gift! :)

25. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Most impressive, FalconFan. =D=

Character portraits are sometimes the most fun to draw, and are a great cure for artist's block! ;) This one you've done is nothing short of superb!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.