main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Falling Skies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Kol_Skywalker, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Check out the trailer for the new alien-invasion TV series from Steven Spielberg that will be premiering in June 2011:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47863

This looks EPICALLY AWESOME!

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Stupid screen video is way to frickin' small to see any detail.
    Looks like a cross between V and Terminator (esp w the music).

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Reminds me of that bad Tom Cruise War of the Worlds movie crossed with a Syfy channel movie of the week.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yes this looks just like V, but since I like V I ll watch this one for a bit to see.

5. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I'll watch this. I like Noah Wyle and don't see him in enough stuff these days.

6. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Counting down the hours ... this premieres tonight! :)

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    So did anyone watch this last night? I DVR'd it while I watched Game of Thrones and haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Is it worth it?

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Personally, I thought it was a waste of time. Watching it live with 'limited commercial interruption' was terrible. There was a commercial break every 10 minutes. That's not limited interruption. That's regular interruption.

The show itself was pretty meh. I was more excited from the rest of the series trailer than from the entire 2 hour episode. I'd venture you could probably come into the next episode and pick up all the needed info pretty easily.

So far, not impressed, but like Fox Mulder, I want to believe.

9. judis9198

judis9198 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2011
    I didn't think it was that bad of a show. Why people feel they need to be wowed in the begin? It's on TNT. Were you expecting to have transformers level graphics? The feel and setting of the scenes are great. The chars are developing nicely and they are mostly believable. It poses a good question, what would you do if you were being hunted by Aliens? Would you start an outlaw gang? Would you join the resistance? Would you be able to hold on to hope?

10. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Agreed. Poorly written, poorly acted with cliche CGI work. What a disappointment; I felt terrible that
    Mr. Spielberg attached his name to this series. Worst of all, it's just flat-out boring... over an hour of
    screen time devoted to people squabbling over a .50 caliber machine gun
    ? What nonsense.

IMO.

Ed/ In all fairness, it may just have been a poor pilot, and there are many of those about.
    Maybe the second episode will improve.

11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I do expect to be wowed and pulled in by a TV show pilot. It needs to fill me with a need to see the next episode. That's what Game of Thrones did.

12. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I wasnt freaking thinking OMG this is epic but I ll still thought it was descent esp now that most of my shows are off at present. I ll continue to watch atleast till the mid season break to see if it gets its act together.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought it was ok- there's some good elements at play and the characters are believable (or, at least in the case of "Major Davis", interesting in a crazy way). It just really needs to pick up it's pacing as it tends to meander on people walking and setting up/breaking down camps.

It's much, much better than V, but even V had better pacing.

I'm probably not going to watch the rest of the season due to time constraints but if word picks up on it I'll probably check it on DVD.

One obvious theory I'll throw out there now, though, that I think they telegraphed too easily is the conversation about why the mechs are two-legged likely suggests that the kids being harnessed are eventually used to operate/man the mechs.

14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Well, the preview suggested there was something human about the six-legged skitters, so...

15. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Hmm I didnt even pick up on that...I thought they said they were two legged to better walk on Earths terrain.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, i think they raised the question to foreshadow some kind of purpose behind it, then dismissed it with the "walk better on Earth" theory so the audience wouldn't dwell on it too much and figure it out too soon.

17. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I wasn't too impressed but I will give it another shot this week. I really want it to succeed but so far it hasn't hit me.

18. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Yeah, I think that the trailer wow'ed me too much.

I still haven't watched past the first 15 minutes of the first show yet ... hope that is not a bad sign! :(

19. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I watched tonight's episode and I have to see... it's just not really connecting with me. And I know what the problem is. They never wowed me with the actual invasion, nor do we get any info on Noah Wyle's character's family that makes any points they touch on with his harnessed son or his dead wife and the connection with the 2nd Mass doctor that was in the show tonight.

I didn't see the drama of her dying or the son going missing and I frankly don't care about references to it now.

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah I expected the show to start with the damned invasion....not weeks or months after the first couple of attacks. Im sure there is a reason behind the decison to start at this point and Im sure we will start getting some flashbacks preinvasions epi soon.

21. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Overall I was impressed with the beginning of the series. It got 6.5 million viewers on the opening premier, and it's currently the biggest series premier on TNT which is a good sign. Science Fiction is coming back, which is really good!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.