main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming "Okie dokie!" - Fallout

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Sep 29, 2014.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I actually felt like I was making decisions that would have repercussions down the line on the quest - and they didn't do the usual Bethesda thing of "In a short time span you've risen from a peasant to the Emperor of the World and the Grand Wizard!"
    I especially loved the 'payoff' of being a high-ranking member of the Enclave when talking with SODUS. Hilarious.

Most of all, while they only had one brand-new location, they fleshed out so many of the minor locations that had little to no purpose in the game so far.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Which option did you pick for the final choice I did the
    I am loyal to no one and she ended up destroying the communication panel anyway

Just curious if there was a different outcome.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  3. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I agreed with the Paladin. She destroyed the panel, and Shin was pretty angry with me. Then again, he was pretty angry with most of my decisions.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Okay
    I had some unique dialogue from both of them being like you need to pick a side. I am excited for the next update fractured steal.

I am glad that the game has finally found some footing story wise. There are things that I still don’t like such as the Grind, but I am hopeful for the future. The game is so much better than it was at launch. I would say it’s close to if not as good as Fallout 4 now.

blackmyron likes this.
  5. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, there were a lot of "Crap, I need to be careful because this may affect my gameplay" moments.

The game has really picked up since they added living NPCs to the game. I'm still hoping that there's going to be additional territories added somewhat soon.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think that will come at the end of 2021 they will continue to update the story of the game until at least fallout 5 comes out and that won’t be until at least 2025

blackmyron likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So I played the frontier. At least 1 of the main quest lines.

In case you didn’t know the frontier was basically the last hooray for the fallout new Vegas modding community. It’s something like a 60 hour mod. Just think of it as a new game.

Now I want to preface this with the fact that the programming and technical side of this mod is beyond impressive. What they did with this game engine that is well over a decade old by now is nothing short of mind boggling. The people who worked on the technical side of the mod deserve high praise.

The voice acting is overall good. Although of course you do have some examples of bad voice acting but much of it ranges from good to great with a smattering of bad, but that’s to be expected. I have only seen one new Vegas mod author have good-great voice acting in an entire mod

The writing this is where the mod falls. There are some good moments here and there, but it’s obvious they took a lot of inspiration from many different games. And I’ll just leave it at that if you want to make your own judgment play the mod. I do recommend at least trying it for the technical aspects alone.

8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    As someone who helped with the mod, I recommend basically everything besides the NCR main quest. In general, the NCR isn't at all representative of the rest of the experience.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I was thinking of playing as the crusaders next, so we’ll see how this goes. But seriously anyone who worked on the technical side of the game deserves real praise. I do think it’s the most technically impressive mod I have ever played. I hope the team realizes that. And I don’t think the story is bad per say, just not the best I have seen from mods for New Vegas. I’ll get more thoughts out when I play the other two quest lines

I said in another review somewhere else that the people who worked on the programming and technical side should be hired by game studios pronto. That talent can’t go to waist.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I also very much recommend checking out the side content. There is so much of it, and it's been a real shame seeing some let's players ignore it in favor of blitzing the NCR.

Jedi Ben and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I did a good bit, but people say I have about 60-50% left for side content.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Jedi Ben and Outsourced like this.
  12. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    There is truly a ton. Also, I had the pleasure of working on the Breach Outreach stuff as well as the Skitters companion, so I highly recommend those two pieces in particular.

13. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I'll admit that I've only watched playthroughs so far, but I do intend to download and play it after some of the bugs have been worked out.

That said, I second the praise of the technical aspects. I was already impressed with the New California (aka Project Brazil) despite its flaws, but The Frontier blows it out of the water. Story wise, re: NCR Exiles... well, I'd describe it as Call of Duty: New Vegas, mixed with Wolfenstein and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Read into that what you will.

As for some spoiler thoughts all around:
    Given that this is still supposed to take place before the finale for New Vegas, I can't say the ending of the NCR Exile story is that much of a surprise. I could only imagine the impact both a helicarrier and a death laser equipped space station would have had on the ending. That said, given the linear nature of the story and how it turns out, it sort of feels pointless. I won't go so far as to say it was "bad," but if you're expecting an RPG type of experience you'll probably be a little disappointed. I will also say the Tiberius Rancor being the overall antagonist... was not a surprise at all. Not saying it was bad again, just I kind of saw that one coming from a mile away*. I will admit though, I sort of had a double take when I saw that Ray Chase voiced him. Nice job.

From what I gather, the Crusader and Northern Legion stories, while shorter, do have at least a couple of different endings each. I will say from what I've seen, I did like the Crusader storyline more, even if Tasha Weaver is sort of Joshua Graham 2.0 and her group looked at Fallout 3's Lyons Brotherhood of Steel's medieval knight shtick and said "Hold my chalice." I'll also give their story props for having at least two distinct endings: one where they are the sole faction left in the Frontier, and one that ends with an alliance between them and the NCR Exiles.

*Honestly, what gave it away for me was Blackthorne mentioning that, along with there being a Legion spy at the base, was that some munitions had gone missing, such as tank busters, and the one merchant you go to talk to in Junkflea asking Rancor if he "had any TBs [tank busters]" to sell. Also, the name Tiberius Rancor kind of has "Legion" written all over it.

So yeah, I'd say the NCR Exiles storyline is worth a go through if only for the technical stuff they managed to pull off. That said, I'd probably go with the Crusaders or Northern Legion if you want a more RPG experience. Also, kudos to anyone involved with the making of this game/expansion. Even with the flaws, The Frontier is impressive and I can't wait to play it.

14. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    First, apologies for double posting. Edit window had past.

Second, I checked Nexus to see if there were any updates to the Frontier mod, but couldn't find it listed at all. So I did a little digging and...

Massive Fallout: New Vegas mod The Frontier taken offline by its creators | PC Gamer

Well that's... slightly awkward, to say the least. Beyond the issue with the one dev (which is certainly a can of worms), was no one looking over the content being added? Like, aside from all the "Yikes" with the sex slave bit and the issues that alone raises, I would think most rational human beings would have looked over the thing with the lizard-people and promptly "Nope!"-ed that. What I find baffling is that there is a rather graphic torture scene early in the NCR story that you can skip, and I believe there is an arachnophobia option/patch since (and I agree) seeing a mutated spider hermit-crabbing around in a human head might be a bit much.

So to sum up, the same people who thought graphic violence that includes dismemberment and creepy hermit-crab spiders might be a bit much and had the option of opting out of them, apparently also thought that having a teen sex slave and lizard-human relationships were okay things that people would enjoy. I now look at my previous praise with a sense of awkwardness.

Now if you don't mind, I need to go find some brain bleach.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Feel real bad for the developers that weren’t apart of the weirdness. But this mod has more or less been cancelled. Post launch which is impressive. Still feel bad for the people that were not sick ****s.

I don’t think I’ll play the mod again

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  16. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    The PC Gamer article is wrong.

America isn't a sex slave.

There's only one snake who can be seduced with the lady killer perk, and it's played as a joke.

If you want actually well researched information concerning the mod, here is a video that Rimmy made that I can personally confirm is pretty much entirely accurate:

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Thanks I’ll give it a listen. I won’t touch the mod again until this is all settled though. I feel for you and anyone who worked on this mod who isn’t that one developer

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Some big changes coming to fallout 76. Bethesda will finally let you change your special load out all at once. Finally. I have been waiting for this forever

blackmyron likes this.
  19. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Playing Wasteland 3 makes me wish that we'd get a spinoff series of Fallout games with isometric gameplay.

Eh, a guy can dream...

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Not impossible these days with the company that made Wasteland 3 and Fallout being owned by the same company

Jedi Ben and InterestingLurker like this.
  21. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Snap! That's right!

Totally forgot about that...

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think it would be pretty beneficial to the franchise if they did it

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I mean, maybe? I played Fallout wondering the whole time about what it would look like first person.
    I spent Fallout 2 wondering why the **** I was playing Fallout 2.
    I mean, Disco Elysium certainly has shown the format isn't dead. But I don't really see the franchise doing anything that innovative.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Unless MS rolls out a pretty radical shift in how bigger IPs are handled for their new acquisitions, isometric RPGs feel precisely not in the correct price ranges for the brand anymore. The lead-off titles are all going to be first person forever now, and spin-offs would probably either use the same engine as the last major installment (A la New Vegas) or be mobile games.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The only spinoff we got of Fallout 4 was Fallout 76. I don't think we're gonna get anything like New Vegas again unless Microsoft decides to really shake things up.