main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Fallout

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I find I don't so much reach an ending in Skyrim as I escape its siren song long enough to stop playing.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    All I meant by finish is to complete the main questline, the faction questlines, and the DLC questlines, basically all of the achievements. I haven't made a character I have been completely satisfied with yet, because I keep trying to do everything. In my initial playthrough without patches or DLC, I did all of the main stuff but the Restoration Ritual Spell, because I was having issues with accessing part of the Midden to do the final challenge, probably compounded by accidentally scratching up the disc too much. Now on my first playthrough with the Legendary Edition, I have tried to do too much of everything again without doing the best job at intelligently choosing my perks. The main things I have left are Skuldafin and Sovngarde, mastering Vampire Lord (which I would have done this playthrough by siding with the Volkihar Clan during the questline in order to do both Vampire Lord and Werewolf in one playthrough, because I am not doing Vampire Lord without siding with the Volkihar Clan and getting all of the toys), building Lakeview Manor and Windstad Manor (already completed Heljarchen Hall besides remodeling the Small House into the Entry Hall), and Solstheim, but I want to max out the perks on Two-Handed and either Heavy or Light Armor before finishing the main quest. I really want to experiment with properly specialized characters, instead of just doing a mishmash of everything like I have been doing so far.

TX-20 and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Maybe you could just stick to a particular archetype and do the quests or tasks suited for that character. Let's face it: the good (and slightly bad) thing about Skyrim is that, in order to do everything while at the same time have a better RP experience, you'll need to do multiple playthroughs. I mean, could you consider your PC as a paragon of justice while being at the same time Listener of the Dark Brotherhood and Guildmaster of the Thieves Guild, occasionally terrorizing townsfolk as a creature of the night while stopping periodically at Winterhold to checkup on college affairs?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    That's basically what I meant with properly specialized characters, since I have ended up going for achievements on these first two playthroughs and virtually everything can be done all at once. I am not much of an RP person, so I don't really know how to properly do such things.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Dogmeat Photobomb
    [​IMG]

TX-20 and Ramza like this.
  6. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

RP is role playing. You choose what kind of character you want your Dragonborn to be. To simplify things, it can all be boiled down to two playthroughs. In one, you can be a Nord warrior mage who will go through all main quests and essentially not be a dick to anyone who crosses his/her path. You can choose to take sides (or not) in the civil war, ignore the lure of Dark Brotherhood (or choose to destroy them, even though in order to do that you do have to murder that crone in Riften) or the thieving ways of the Thieves Guild (boring quest, anyway). You can learn the ways of magic in Winterhold and choose to follow that questline through to the end (but, again, also boring). You can side with Serana, destroy her old man and keep that sweet bow untarnished. And you'll destroy the first Dragonborn and rid Solstheim of his taint.

In the second playthrough (or save file), you can chose to be any kind of amoral ***hole. Maybe a sneak thief rogue who fancies the bow. You could ignore all main quests, wander the land, be a murderous monster who will eventually attract the attention of the Dark Brotherhood and follow that questline through to the end. You'd be such a greedy jerk who'll also decide to consolidate the alliance with the Thieves Guild and follow that questline through its end, becoming in effect Skyrim's greatest crimelord even though the land burns in war and dragonfire. After all, such interesting times are rife with opportunity. You'd stoop to no lows as you search and trample anyone in your way to obtain all daedric artifacts while at the same time become a bloodsucking fiend in control of Castle Volkihar.

I know, I know, that sounds time consuming, but I think it's probably the best way to have an enjoyable RP experience rather than trying to do every action conceivable in one playthrough.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I wish I had screencapped a moment where Dogmeat was suspended off the edge of a building by the very tips of his front paws. That dog has some talent.

... But seriously, I'm just glad the only glitches I've encountered are that and some subtitle/dialogue funkiness and not, like, CTDs or corrupted saves.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, done the necessary new game start stuff - the tutorial in the vault was crap.

Sure it'll grow on me but for right now, Witcher 3 remains top dog.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I found the tutorial to be mechanically pretty cumbersome, but I chalked up some of that to my being very familiar with the mechanics while it expected me to go at a certain pace to accommodate new players ("Do you know how every shooter in the world controls these days?" "Well, yes I d-" "You don't? Okay, let's just go over that."). The setup, though, was really interesting - to the point that I'm a little angry at how invested I am in the main plot, as I really just want to screw around and build stuff.

10. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm confused about something. In Fallout 3 and NV there was the option to repair weapons and armour but that doesn't seem to be there. Was that removed when they added crafting, and are spare weapons only good for salvage if I have more than one? In FO3 I kept spare weapons to repare the ones I used, but if I don't need them to repair anything I might as well salvage them, right?

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You are correct that you ought to just salvage (Or sell if you need the caps, I'm finding that guns mostly give common stuff), as durability was indeed dropped. Well, for everything other than power armor.

I find it nice, because I just get to keep upgrading my 10 mm until it is nae so much a pistol as a god.

Jedi Ben and moosemousse like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tell the NRA - there is a now a game where they can worship guns... If modded to a suitably god-like degree.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, short of a remarkable turnaround this weekend when I'll actually have some time to play it, this is currently on track for being the biggest piece of crap and disappointment since Batman: Arkham Knight.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh, different strokes. I'm enjoying it a fair bit more than I enjoyed 3, even with the launch jank. Plus I think this is the first time I've actually gotten pretty into a Bethesda crafting system, as all the parts hunting and the ability to actually upgrade out of the gate rather than having to level a skill to eventually catch up and surpass stock drops makes it feel worthwhile.

Also they took cooking, which always seemed utterly worthless, and made it an incredibly worthwhile way to get good healing items, so that's nice.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm more looking at things like buggering up the subtitles.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, that happened in a couple of cutscenes for me, too. That's just shoddy.

Edit: Also I can't tell if using a stealth boy is giving my Pip Boy the Coolest Effect Ever(TM) by design or by glitch, but it's rad.

17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    So...is F4 just F3 with a new coat of next gen paint or are there any particularly standout improvements that set it apart from its predecessor? Yeah, I know there's crafting but seeing as I don't have a single creative bone in my body I don't think I'll be spending too much time there.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The shooting is a lot better, VATS was overhauled into a specific aiming slowdown mechanic rather than pausing, skills were merged into tiered perks and more raw SPECIAL usage so the progression is quite a bit different, and they've taken some (light) cues from Bioware on the companions so now they have some rudimentary affection mechanics and the occasional dialogue tree.

Also I think the plot and setting are more interesting but that's hardly quantifiable.

I should also note that the crafting mechanics also allow you to upgrade your weapons, so it's still probably going to be worthwhile to run around collecting rolls of duct tape for that sweet, sweet adhesive, even if you don't feel compelled to decipher the arcane rules governing building generators to power elaborate lighting setups.

19. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Just played the game. As a long time Fallout fan, my reaction to this game has been pretty mixed. Its made some great improvements over Fallout 3, but because of several questionable design choices, it is also worse than 3 in some ways. I love the new power armor system. Makes power armor feel really special instead of just being like normal gear. I like how they spent time characterizing the companions too. They feel a lot more like characters now compared to the pack mules that we saw in previous Bethesda games. I'm pretty bothered by their invincibility though. Half of the fun of Fallout 1 was the struggle to keep Dogmeat alive during the late game.The shooting mechanics are a lot better. This is good as most quests pretty much force you to end things with violence. The Boston map is pretty fun to explore so far, although not as interesting as the Capitol Wasteland. Settlements are a cool feature for those that like that kind of thing. It reminds me of this mod I had on Fallout 3. The voiced protagonist was just as horrible as I thought it would be. With the new dialogue system, I don't even know what my character is going to say because they only give one word paraphrases. The plot also seems really similar to Fallout 3's but with the roles reversed. I guess someone at Bethesda has daddy issues? The RPG mechanics are also pretty horrible especially the perk system. A lot of the skills like lockpicking and guns has been pretty much folded into the perk tree, so instead of the quirky game changers of previous games, we get a lot of generic "Do X more damage" perks. I'm also really annoyed by the absence of Hardcore mode. I loved the survivalist elements of Hardcore in New Vegas, especially with J.Sawyer adjustments applied to it. It added a nice layer of additional challenge and I don't get why Bethesda didn't add it. At least they took delayed stimpack healing from hardcore. This game in general is inferior to Fallout New Vegas, both in the writing department as well as the role playing mechanics, but honestly, I wasn't expecting it to be. Beth doesn't really make RPGs, it makes large sand boxes to explore.

TLDR I liked it about the same as 3, but its a crappy Fallout when compared to New Vegas. I'm hoping this leads to another Obsidian sequel. They got Tim Cain working there now, so we could finally get another Fallout from the original creator himself.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Funnily enough, the dialogue and perk mechanics are highly reminiscent of Obsidian's Alpha Protocol, which is maybe why they're not bugging me at all. They seem positively polished here compared to that... uh... let's be generous and call it an interesting failure that I enjoyed playing.

21. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    Didn't Alpha Protocol also have a timer on the dialogue? It reminded me a lot of TellTale Walking Dead in that respect. Come to think of it, AP would have been more fun if it was a TellTale style game. The story reactivity was great but the moment to moment game play was so tedious that I just couldn't stomach another playthrough to see the alternative outcomes of my choices.

On an unrelated note, can anybody tell me where to find T51 Power Armor? I've been looking everywhere for it, but all the power armor pieces I find are the Fallout 3 power armor.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Have you checked the Fallout Wiki? They usually list locations for rarer items like that.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To be fair to the game, trying to play a new post-work, post-commute isn't a good combination.

So, let's see what happens over the next two days.... Assuming I can return to a world of loading screens...

24. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    Looks like they finally updated the locations. When I checked the t51-B article this morning, I couldn't even find the Fallout 4 section. Apparently power armor spawns are dependant on the player level, kinda like the system in Skyrim. Looks like I'm gonna have to play a bit longer so that I can get my hands on the classic power armor.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, just had a more fun time with Fallout 4.

What isn't clear and it takes to time to realise is you can modify the environment and place all kinds of stuff everywher, while scrapping nearly everything! So, see that Maple Tree - that'll be 20 Wood easy. Then once you have the materials, you can add stuff - so I've added a bed to the Red Rocket Station.

This is after I decided to scrap a few houses in Sanctuary in order to build a 5-storey tower! It looks good too! Don't know if there's a limit as to how high you can go either - suspect I'm find it.

Still finding the combat cumbersome but that might improve with time.