main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Fan Art Class Version 5.0 {{New Assignment up May 29th: Eyes.}}

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TrulyGhent, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrulyGhent

TrulyGhent Jedi Master star 4

Jun 29, 2007
    Our beloved fanart mod, HanSolo29, has graciously allowed me to start the fanart class again, so here we go:

This thread will be setup kinda like an art class. Every two weeks I will post a couple of photographs/images to use as a reference for sketching, drawing, painting, whatever. These images will be Star Wars-related (this is a Star Wars board, after all). The point being to draw what you see, as if you were in a life drawing class. The medium you work in is entirely up to you, the artist.

I encourage everyone to post their work here in this thread for a critique and thorough feedback. This thread is aimed at helping each and every artist, regardless of skill level, improve. So, expect harsher critiques than what you would find elsewhere on the boards. And please remember, they are about the work itself - not the artist.

And just like a real art class, each submission must be posted by a certain due date. After which, the reference images for that time period will be taken down and new ones will be put up.

Please don't stress too much over this, just like everything else here, it is meant to be fun!

[hr]

Assignment One: Forced Perspective.
    Due Date: [color=red]Extended to Sunday, April 27th![/color]

Seeing as how I've never done anything like this before, I decided to do something that I have difficulty drawing, that being forced perspective [face_blush]

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/63/Mara-sacrifice.jpg]
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/7e/N1_fighter.jpg]
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/4/48/Jainanjo.jpg]

Depending on who/what you like to draw, you may do any or all of these. :-)

A good way to go about drawing the figure in any one of these positions is to start out in a loose gesture drawing. They may end up looking like a stick figure at first, but this will help you to establish the figure. Once you get the proportions and the position correct, you can then go back in and start adding details.

Like always, you are free to use any medium or style necessary. Remember, the key goal here is to have fun.

If there's any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. . . someone else
    (jk, you can ask me, and any suggestions are appreciated.)

any suggestions for the next assignment?

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is a great idea :) Good luck!!

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  4. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    =D= Nice work! Especially adding the planet in the background. ;)

I've extended the due date to (hopefully) encourage more people to come. :)

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    You're doing a great job, Ghent!

I dropped a line for this in the upcoming Around the Boards, so hopefully we'll get some more traffic in here for you soon. :)

6. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Is there anyway threads like this could be stickied? I come in here at least a few times a week, and didn't notice this thread till a few days ago. I'll do my best to try and get Mara done within the next week, but in the mean time could someone maybe give me a definition of "forced perspective"? I did take an art class, but it's been a couple of years and I don't specifically remember that term.

7. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Nice topic! Yes, forced perspective isn't always the easiest. I decided to try this for the practice... just a quick sketch, though, since I didn't have a whole lot of time. Sketches are allowed, right?

[image=http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n238/shrunkenjedi/Mara.jpg]

8. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    Yay! [face_dancing] Thanks, HS29!

[face_blush] Well, I didn't take an art class so I probably got the term wrong. My bad. What I meant was when you show something (like an arm) close up but angled back, it gets smaller in the distance. Does that make any sense?

=D= Nice! You got the proportions perfect! And yes, sketches are great, pretty much everything is accepted. :p

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I actually see stickies having the complete opposite effect - especially with so many up there already. I tend to not notice posts made in stickies as easily as if they were regular threads that get bumped up every time someone posts in them. But if this is something that everyone feels would help this along, then by all means let me know. :)

In terms of forced perspective, I feel the official definition could explain it better than I ever could:

Forced perspective is a technique that employs optical illusion to make an object appear farther, closer, larger or smaller than it actually is. It is used primarily in photography, filmmaking and architecture. It manipulates human visual perception through the use of scaled objects and the correlation between them and the vantage point of the spectator or camera.

10. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Hey, this is great! I'll do a sketch in class tomorrow when I have nothing better to do. :D

11. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Here's my half-skilled attempt. Considering I normally have absolutely zero artistic talent, I did pretty well...

Becca's Mara

12. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
  13. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Rebecca and Ghent, fantastic job on the sketches. You both did super on the assignments despite your thoughts otherwise. o_O

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm glad to see more people participating this time around! This is actually a great tool to improve your skills and see where you stand as an artist. We have lots of amazing artists in this forum who are more than willing to give feedback. It's a great thing to take advantage of.

With that said, I looked over all the drawings so far and I'll have formal critiques on each in a bit. Keep up the great work everyone! :)

15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I have done another forced perspective only it is of Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan

16. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    One piece of constructive critique for each:
    Shrunken, I'm not sure what you're medium is but I think you should be more careful with your blending, it was unnecessary on the back arm but maybe more on her back.
    Rebecca, [face_shame_on_you] you used lined paper, you must've been in school. :p Anyway, you've got the shape perfect, the shading is the only thing you really need. Shade on her back, and in the middle of her arms.
    earlybird, get a different image hoster. :p Sorry, by PC has issues with deviantart. :_|

Edit: earlybird just sent me his pics:
    Firstly, love the shading on the starfighter, shiny objects are beyond me but you pretty much nailed it!
    The Obi-Wan pic was good also, but I would darken the tops of the nostrils a little. The eyes and eye-cavities are great. Just make the bridge of the nose a little straighter. FYI, my noses stink beyond anything, so you're not alone. :)

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    TrulyGhent, loved that faded look on that sketch and noses ;)they can be difficult with only black and white.

Rebecca yours was fantastic and I like to doodle at work too when a meeting is boring and it keeps me listening and awake.

18. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    [face_mischief] I cheated, I used my finger to blur the graphite. Can get a little messy, so keep an eraser handy. ;)

(Thanks to FF for telling me this tip.)

19. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Rebecca, you used lined paper, you must've been in school. Anyway, you've got the shape perfect, the shading is the only thing you really need. Shade on her back, and in the middle of her arms.

Yes, I was at school. There is nothing but lined paper there.

And as for the shading... blame my scanner. There was some, but it didn't show up very well. Not that it was very good in the first place. I can't shade! :(

Rebecca yours was fantastic and I like to doodle at work too when a meeting is boring and it keeps me listening and awake.

Thanks. :D I did this in math, english, sewing... I was bored in all of them. :p

20. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks for taking the time to critique, Ghent :)

The medium was digital pen in photoshop... I hear you about the shading, could be better, yeah. I was trying to quickly get the basic forms, though. (And thank you for your first comment I didn't respond to :) )

21. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    Ooo, I love digital pens. :p in that case I would suggest using the smudge tool for blending, if you turn the strength up a bit. Then just pick the point you want to blur and sorta move it back and forth until it gets really blurry then put it back where it was. :-B

P.S. What should next week's class be about?

22. DocRevan

DocRevan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2008
    Hm, I think I'd like to try this art class. Never learned anything from the one at school anyway. As for the next theme, maybe something focusing on shading, or dynamic poses or something?

23. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Well, sure, that's pretty much what I did, along with enabling the pressure of the pen to determine the opacity... I think using the pressure leaves a better result, though. It was a sketch, though, so I wasn't trying to get the shading perfect :p :-B

Not that I don't appreciate your comment, though ;) [:D]

24. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    *[:D] Shrunken.*

Thanks for the comment Doc I was actually thinking about the shading on noses yesterday, so I'm gonna hunt down some good nose pics: [face_liarliar] :p

Posing is another good idea, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. [face_peace]

Do you guys think I should edit the first post for the next lesson or just post it normally? :confused:

25. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Post it normally so that any newcomers can catch up if they feel like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.