main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Fan Art Class Version 5.0 {{New Assignment up May 29th: Eyes.}}

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TrulyGhent, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    LOLOL!! well any art class makes me draw, and that makes me happy :D and a happy ex mod is a... ok, never mind :D

Thanks for the critique! I don't think I can fix it on this drawing (silly paper can't handle much erasing) but I'll try it again sometime :)

Eyes is good idea!! Or Metal maybe.

2. TrulyGhent

TrulyGhent Jedi Master star 4

Jun 29, 2007
    [face_thinking] Hmmm . . . Eyes and metal . . . [face_idea] Ooo, I got it!

Ta Da!
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/9/94/C3PO_EP3.jpg]

Just kidding. I'll see if I can dig up some real eyes somewhere. :p

Well, I supposed I can't lose anything but my reputation, which is shot anyway. :p So here goes:
    Terrible Jaina
    Do your worst, I won't mind, any help with a technique for forming the side of the face easily?

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    the nose and lips are looking like one of those old statues of the pharao's. the lips are a bit to much forward but the nose is OK

4. Jedi_Sha

Jedi_Sha Jedi Master star 5

Oct 13, 2002
    Thanks.

I don't draw like that on my wacom pad much, so it was kind of an experiment for me too. For one thing, I turned the opacity way down. I was using a brush with 0% hardness at about 20-30% opacity. That's how I got the softer look. Whatever I wanted darker I just went over a few more times. I lifted the pen tool a lot too. Which, at a low opacity, is actually fairly forgiving.

As for the shape and all, I have a love affair with layers. I never touch the background. I always use a new layer for everything. So I initially sketched out the shape of the face and the position of the eyes and nose on a layer in thin lines using a very light color. Then I used a new layer over that for the actual drawing and shading and all.

Like I said, it was an experiment for me but if that helps out all, good. :)

5. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks for the imput everyone, I'll watch those things next time.

Will have a new assignment, featuring eyes, up shortly. :D

<^> Ghent

6. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007

[color=blue][b]Assignment Three: Eyes.[/b][/color]
    [color=red]Due Date: June 19th.[/color] (Three Weeks)

[blockquote][color=darkblue]Debatably the second most difficult part of the face to draw. So here are the eyes, by popular request.[/color]

[blockquote][image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/8/8e/Remnantjc2.jpg]

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/d/d9/Remnantjc.jpg]

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/d/d9/Luke-rotjpromo.jpg][/blockquote]

[color=darkblue]Gotta love Japanese covers. [face_love]
    I figure there's a few eyes there you can draw, I'd be willing to accept four full-drawn eyes as a submission if you don't want to draw a whole face. Not that I have any authority anyway. [face_wink] Do whatever you want.[/blockquote][/color]

[hr][/blockquote]

[color=darkblue] I actually do have a few suggestions for this one:
    [ul][li]The eye is roughly almond-shaped, but with little indentations on both sides and the bottom is more flat.[/li][li]The iris tends to be dark on the outside, then lighter, then darker.[/li][li]It helps to have the line that defines the bridge of the nose go right to the top of the eye.[/li][li]Check out some of [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_art/b10020/17799440/p1/?2451]FalconFan's art[/link], she does great eyes. [face_grin][/li][/ul]

Note: I'm thinking it'll take less than three weeks, seeing as you guys are so fast. But better safe then sorry.[/color]

7. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    YAY thank you TG!!!!!!!!

whoohoooo great choices!!

8. theboilingman

theboilingman Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2008
    This is a tough one. Likenesses are hit or miss for me so sometimes I'll try to go a little to the caricature side to cover it but I did not do that here. I missed but it's close. I cannot figure out where I missed but it's still cool & not bad.

[image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/2538885691_c757644283.jpg]

Now that I look at it again I think I was trying 2 things at once. I was trying caricature & portrait together & it's not working. I think maybe the eyes are a little too big as well.

9. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    [face_dancing] I finished some eyes! [face_dancing]

Firstly though, you're welcome Nidrail, glad you like them. :)

Secondly, welcome Boilingman! Nice job, I agree with you a little bit though, regarding the portrait/caricature blend. The only thing the eyes could use is some shading on the iris, I usually do what FF does and do dark, light, dark, then the pupil.

Okay, here're my attempts at eyes. [face_worried] :oops:

Labeled for your convenience. :-B

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a sunny day in the garden and here is Luke

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/lukezw.jpg]

11. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    :oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry, Darth Procrastination made me think he was my friend. Very sorry everybody. [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush]

Nice job on the eyes Earlybird, the only thing I could criticize is that they're a little different. Other than that they're fine. :D

Okay, what does everyone want for the next assignment?

Once again, sorry for being so late. :( [face_blush] :oops:

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    hands or a full body picturing action?

13. Venexa_Nightwalker

Venexa_Nightwalker Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2007
    Hey, great idea with this class!
    What about showing emotions (sadness, happiness etc.) and impressions in a face. This could always be a great challenge...

14. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    :eek: That's a pretty tall order, but one that I'm been thinking about too. [face_mischief]

I'd like to come to a consensus about the class, rather than doing the dictatorial thing and just pick on of your guys' selections. O:)

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey all,

TrulyGhent just informed me that he no longer has the time to run the Fan Art Class. With that in mind, I'm currently searching for a new host for this thread. If you would like to try your hand at leading the Fan Art Class, please post in this thread or send me a PM. Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.