main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Discussion Fan Fic Nuggets of Awesome

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Goodwood, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When a fic is absolutely littered with hints to twists/reveals that you miss at first because you don't understand that they are significant until later in the fic and between updates you reread the fic and are blown away by all the little hints. Bonus Point: the nickname of a character is the same one from a different fic for the same character but given to them by a different person for a different reason.

Thorn058 and Findswoman like this.
  2. DrPsyche

DrPsyche Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2018
    What I particularly like about any fan fic narrative is always the slow but steady revealing of the mystery and unveiling of the final answer. Not sure how this literary method is called. Probably, that happens because of the will to mystery - a certain will to know any secret that we human beings possess.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Force Ghost star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't agree with this. Even the EU wasn't able to pull this off. You couldn't pick up a book from the middle of the NJO series and totally understand what was going on. I do agree that if the story is not a stand alone then there should be links to the earlier works.

I also liked the Infinities comics. That is one thing I like about fanfiction. You can say, "What if?" and go from there.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I think for me, it's how much of the backstory you need to know going in. I don't have a problem if an author drops a mention of something that happened in a past work, but if it is a critical point to what happens in the current work, then it's a problem. Another reason I didn't like NJO; it was like a soap opera. If you'd missed one or two, you often had no clue what was going on.

So, for me, mentioning "that mission back on Backstal?" "Oh, yeah, what a nightmare." is okay. Talking about "that mission back on Backstal," only for the guy showing up 8 posts later to be the main villain from Backstal and the whole entire story is based on what happened there...that's a problem. If the story you're writing was created deliberately as a sequel, I think it should be mentioned up front, with a link. I try not to be guilty of this; I've mentioned past stories within stuff I've written, but I've always tried to make sure that understanding the present story isn't dependent on having followed the other stuff. I do think things need to stand alone, if possible.

Just my 2 creds. :D

Fan fic nuggets of awesome... really clever plot twists! Or when the hero is in such a bad way, you think s/he's never going to get out...and does! Or, just a little vignette of dialogue or behavior that reveals a lot about a character while seeming utterly insignificant.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic & Costuming/Props Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Feb 25, 2010
    I think the current discussion (with the tad of thread necromancy) would make a great one for the Scribble pad. I'm going to move it over there so we can discuss it more in depth.