main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Fic: What's good about it?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by MariahJade2, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    We do a lot of dissecting the ins and outs of what's wrong with stories, but it would be nice to hear what everyone likes about fan fics. What do you enjoy the most in a story? I really love when an author can pull off humor, or when there is a character that is somewhat of a mystery and you have to discover more about them as you go along. A good plot driven story is another plus. Other times, it's just a beautiful description or metaphor that makes me go, wow. What makes you want to read more? :)

2. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Nice idea for a thread.

I love a compelling character, a real person with strengths and weaknesses. I really like it when an author explores a new part of the GFFA for us. I love poetic prose and clever use of the language.

3. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    I like new takes on the official SW universe. A story that makes you think, "Oh, I never thought of it like that."

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    My top 5
    5) Original characters--expand our ideas of what goes on by bringing in people of different backgrounds, different temperaments.
    4) Any kind of civilian involvement--when you get it past the heroes and bad guys stage and look at the impact any action has on the people.
    3) Dialogue--I love reading a dialogue that flows well and captures my interest as well as either touching my heart or making me laugh hysterically.
    2) Characterizations--there are so many fics I've read that just make me able to see the characters exactly in this light because the characterizations are spot-on.
    1) FIGHT SCENES--these have to be well-done and these have to be included.

5. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I agree that this was a fantastic idea. :)

I really love it when an author explores AU, and even interesting takes on the normal universe, as Kettch mentioned. It's also great to read an extension of a small scene from the films, some little bit that an author expands and colors for their readers. Original ideas always catch my eye. :) And beautiful writing in general.

6. DarkDroid

DarkDroid Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    The thing I love most about fan fic (and definetly not the only thing I love about fan fic) is that you can create worlds of excitement for the readers, knowing that they may (or may not) enjoy your story as much as the movies. It's a rewarding and fun hobby.

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    DOI! I forgot AUs!

8. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Great idea! :)

I love that we can explore the canon characters more deeply. There is so more to them than just what appears on the movie screen. I enjoy being able to see more of their lives outside those brief flashes we get.

Then there is the ability to meet new and original characters existing within the same universe. Sometimes they are more fun than the canon characters. There is also the opportunity to see that which is familiar from a completely different angle.

9. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I like that writers can shine the spotlight on minor characters in a way that the movies and novels don't.

10. Zane-Marit

Zane-Marit Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    I love the ability to create...The challenge of thinking of a good plot idea and tinkering with it, trying to make it work. It's frustrating but fun.

Reading other fanfics, for me, is exciting when I stumble across a story I would not normally read and being sucked into it. The writing has to be great with great dialogue as well. I have to say that there is a vast amount of very good talent here. Most other boards have average at best talent, but here there are so many authors that I enjoy.

11. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I love the attention it can give to the little guys. I love how vignettes can show the ordinary moments in the lives of heroes. I love getting inside the characters' heads. I love a good laugh.

12. Ferus_Lover

Ferus_Lover Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2004
    LuvEwan:
    I really love it when an author explores AU, and even interesting takes on the normal universe, as Kettch mentioned.

That depends on the story. AU is very well and good but there are some situations that are just plain ridiculous. When the original characters act out of character, for no other reason than that the writers would want them to, then they become entirely original characters and the fabric of the Star Wars universe is torn. Alternate realities are well and good, but if they are so AU that they cease to be even recognisable, then they cease to be Star Wars stories.

EDIT: That's flaming.

Herman

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I like how some fic authors are able to delve into the minds of characters in ways profic authors never can. And they're able to correct some mistakes Cough*NJO*Cough.

Also, we can go where they sometimes simply can't.

14. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Ferus_Lover, thanks for your comments but I'd like to hear about the positives.

Something else I like are round-robins. They don't seem to be as fashionable as they once were, but they can be so much fun. You get to meet some very nice people, and it can be a good way for a newer writer to get their feet wet.

15. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    I love fan fics ( and published books, too) because they can give you so much insight into a character-the thoughts and feelings that you sometimes don't see or get to explore in a movie.

A great thing about fan fics is AU stories-there are endless possibilities. You can find a story for almost any alternative you can think of-and a lot that you'd never think of! And if you can't find a story, you can always write one yourself.

Finally, though certainly not least, you can meet lots of wonderful people and make new friends by posting and replying to fics. No one in my real life is interested in SW (well, my kids like it, but they're a little young to have meaningful conversations about the saga and characters) so I've been in hog heaven since I discovered SW websites!

Kristeh

16. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    The other nice thing about FanFic is it gives aspiring authors the chance to try different writing styles and practice different aspects of their "craft" before going on to their own original works.

I also love seeing more depth & detail to stuff that George just hasn't had a chance to show us.

PS --Ferus, please remember that if you don't like something, you don't have to read it. Much less comment on it.

17. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    This is a really good idea!!!

I like the different perspectives that I gain with each story. Whether it is canon or au, I always find something new to think about with every story. Sometimes things that I would never have thought of which bring a new dimension to a character for me.

and Ferus, the whole point of au is to explore alternate universes. Sometimes by taking a character out of character, you find different aspect to a character's personality or drive, etc. that might not have been noticed or defined prior to that. Silly is not so bad. It has its place in the universe just as seriousness does. As pointed out - you don't have to read it, but you should be more polite than to slam a writer's effort at portraying a character.

18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I have PM'd Ren and asked her to remove the link as I find that post utterly offensive and disrespectful enough as it is, and adding insult to injury is absolutly unacceptable.

Edit

Just for Giggles, I went to see Feris's post.. all 10 of them.

9 of which are TROLLING the fic in question.

Edit 2

Thank you Herman

19. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    I like fanfics for the reason I get to see my favorite GFFA in a different light. see our fave charatcers in different situations and how they react in a little more in depth look than any of the movies could capture. just being lost in the language and the sotry itself is worth reading for me, and always keeps me coming back for more

20. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I'm dreadfully promiscuous in my reading (or rather I used to be when I had time to read :(). I read and love all kinds of fanfics. I really like stories that take little moments and run with them. Stories that tell me more about the characters, expecially when I am learning more about one of the lesser known ones are another favorite. Stories that go AU or stories that don't - I love them both. Big stories, short stories, any size. I'll happily read anything good. But I think my favorite thing about fanfic stories in particular (as opposed to stories in general) is finding one that makes me think differently about a character or a situation or some aspect of the GFFA (or whichever fandom universe) because they are so compelling in their presentation. My other favorite thing is stories that bring me back into the universe of the fandom precisely because they are so familiar.

I've had very little time to read this last year though which makes me sad almost to :_|. The last few months, fanfic withdrawal has been so bad that I seriously wish I could quit my job in large part so I would have more time for reading some of the excellent work available here. The only thing that has saved my sanity is the various challenges which are another wonderful thing about fanfic and have the advantage of being short stories for the most part so I can usually manage to keep up.

KD

21. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I love seeing how other people love this universe as much as I do. Seeing others' interpretations of my favorite characters is both fascinating and heartwarming! :)

I love good, snappy dialogue, stuff that makes me laugh out loud. On the other hand, I also adore angst. Any story that can actually make me cry is a keeper in my book. ;)

I'm thrilled to pieces whenever I find a new story (especially if it's L/M! :D ) and I love that feeling of anticipation as I wonder what road this author is going to take me down.

I can see myself reading fan fic for many, many years to come. Hopefully, writing it as well, but we'll have to see what the muse says once I finally finish Sleight of Hand! [face_blush]

22. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    I love to see the different ideas that different authors come up with. It's like being in a candy store with countless choices and possibilities. I have seen incredibly creative ideas that I could never have imagined myself.

Add to that the possibility of discussing a story or idea with its author--only adds to the fun.

Also, I personally like to find a good humor story every day just to keep me in a good mood. :)

Finally, this forum only proves that there are people with a lot of talent out there and I would never get to enjoy their works if they didn't post here. :)

It's simply a joy to be here.

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I LOVE AU's especially those that let those in the GFFA have a happier ending than they get in Canon. I also love funny stories, I need a good laugh now and then. The sheer talent on this board has always simply amazed me! I like reading these stories now more than the books that are released. It keeps me going until Ep. 3 for sure! It helps with those withdrawal symptoms, LOL! :D

24. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    This is an interesting idea! I like fanfiction as a writer mostly because I'm incredibly not creative, and I really need the guide that Star WArs offers me. As a reader, I love reading in general all the different styles of writing here. I've never heard of vignettes or read a good humor fic until I met fanfiction. And as mentioned above, it really delves into our favorite charectors' personalities, and give us a chance to get to know them better.

25. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Aside from having too much fun making characters do what I want them to do and having great fun creating original stories for them to exist in, fan fiction has been a brilliant method for me to work on and improve my style. It has also taught me how to write a long story and keep the plot going long enough to keep readers interested. Fan fiction might lead people to label you geek but when you're the wealthy author in the future and they're flipping burgers at McDonald's, we'll know just how helpful being geek can be for your future ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.