main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Discussion Fan Fiction portrayal and writing styles.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SatineNaberrie, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    How do you all like to write certain things in your stories or what do you like to read?

I think I'll first start of with discussing the portrayal Empire in fan fiction.

I like the idea of the Empire not full of all evil people. I like to have and read complexity within the Empire. I find it more interesting to have higher up people within the Empire evil and know what's really going on, with a vast majority of the Empire's citizens and soldier's ignorant.

I also like the idea of the Empire not just doing evil but good things too, like fighting crime. In real life even evil people do good things at times. Also even corrupt governments have some good laws and protect people.

I can see the Empire doing bad things with certain groups in the military that do the dirty work, with more and more of the atrocities becoming public as time goes on, and with that comes more rebellion.

On the flip side I can see something similar with the rebellion. To me I think it is reasonable to have different rebel fractions with some uniting and others more independent and each group may not have the same morals.

Also with the Jedi, I like the idea of different sects with the ones on Coruscant the largest group.

More topics

I also like getting into some character's thoughts and the reasons behind what they do. I like to do dialogue, but find it harder to do than describe a character's mind set. I am very picky with dialogue and have yet to write a dialogue heavy story which I really want to do, but keep it in character with how I write them. When I try to write, I try imagining what a character would say and does it make sense that would say it.

Another thing I like to is having character's over come hardships. I like tragedy with happy endings, but I don't tend to write all teddy bears and rainbow stories. Sometimes the bad guys win and having the heroes win all the time is unrealistic.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I really don't like when people make 'ignorance' the excuse for why some characters are 'innocent' on the 'wrong side'. I prefer it the way I write: all are grey they know it and hero and villain don't apply because all have equal potential. Such labels are extremely limiting and are very often simply justifiiers.

I prefer seeing things from the maligned side. I like to see them granted humanity which is very rarely done in SW. A great shame.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I must admit confusion, as when i read the thread title, I was expecting a discussion on writing styles. I expected a discussion on how we write depending on genre, what our prose would be like for what genre, and how we prefer to write certain scenes.

Instead, the opening post is a discussion of the Empire. I'm confused. How does this fit into writing styles? The discussion is concerned with subjects, which are not styles. These are concepts.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    TrakNar

it is on writing styles and portrayals. I am starting off talking about how I like to portray the Empire and my style on writing it, if that makes sense. Basically I like to write to write complex bad guys and good guys concerning that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.