main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Fan Film Ideas - Let's Try This Again

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by AceHoly, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AceHoly

AceHoly Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    Let's try again with a fresh start.

We need to round up a series of ideas so we can have something to choose from in creating a slick, high quality fan film. As wisely suggested by others, try to take shootability into account when posting your ideas and suggestions.

Since I'm new here, I don't know everyone's abilities. I do know that with the equipment and programs I have here, and with the help of a co-worker of mine who is the Bomb with 3D and effects work, we can safely do both space battles and blaster fights that will look like the real McCoy.

I don't have access to a decent sized studio, but with enough green material and the wireless mics I have, we can probably find a location to suffice for limited purposes.

When posting your ideas, please indicate Time Period (Republic, Empire, New Republic, NJO) and the kind of tone you envision (comedy, drama, tragedy, etc.) so everyone will get a good idea of your good idea.

Past that, I think it's fair for everyone to expect to hear comments on their suggestions, both pro and con. If we keep the comments objective and fair, then we can avoid stepping on anyone's feelings.

Sound like a plan?

2. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    I hope whatever the plan is- it doesn't get so fantastic and so complex that we never finish it. That's what it sounds like we are planning here. I hope we consider realistic ideas- realisitic goals- and realisitic logisitics. How many people do we really have to work on such a thing? I guess we need to pool talent first- then work from there. Better to know what we can accomplish instead of trying to accomplish what we can't.

ooohh- Guess I will start with what I can help with.
    I can help build sets.
    I can help do scenes in Lightwave.
    I can help with Photoshop, after effects, Illustrator (sorta) and Premiere.
    Plus I can help with any type of manual work.

Oh- I wouldn't mind trying my hand at acting.

3. AceHoly

Mar 6, 2003
    You bring up a good point - actors. Anyone know any? :)

I have a good friend in Orlando, Tim Powell (he's been on ER, Picket Fences, Sheena, one of those Wesley Snipes movies...), who may be interested in acting, but also knows Orlando folks who might be interested in donating their talents to a project.

As for folks offering to act - I don't know how many people here have met each other, but it might help if people who want to act give a simple description of themselves (if you look sort of like someone famous, that helps as a mental image) and what they can do (ie accents, martial arts, shadow puppets).

4. JediDan

JediDan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2001
    I'm not sure if I look like someone famous, but I do have a Martial Arts background. I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do if that is of any help. I also have my own Jedi costume as well a Luke's from Jedi as well.

Dan

5. AceHoly

Mar 6, 2003
    So does that mean you want to be IN the film, JediDan, or be the stunt coordinator?

Heh. If you know tae kwon do, then I guess you get your choice! :)

6. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Sweet Jedi Karate Kid! We have our own Ray Park. I wanna play the guy who pulls over the freighter thats speeding and say-
    "You picked the wrong star system to haul ass through, boy!."
    then star in the following movie in a bit part.

7. JediDan

Apr 25, 2001
    I do know how much of an "actor" I am but I'll help in whatever way I can, whether is be with stunts or a bit part or something.
    Maybe I can be the one who got pulled over for going too fast...

"...but I was going to Tochi Station..."

;)

Dan

8. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    nah- That's my part- but you can be the one to pull me over- then you kick the cereal out of me.

9. JediDan

Apr 25, 2001
    Sort of some Star Wars Jedi cop?

;)

I think OT would work best as far as getting people with costumes and such. That would also limit the jedi factor as well.

Just an idea...

Dan

10. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Well peeps here are my talents:

1. I can write the score (im taking theory right now and even though it may be my first real COMPOSITION, i could always arrange william's music into our own little neat soundtrack)

2. I've taken drama so even though I may not be Harrison Ford material, I can act a little and help out those with stage fright...

3. Ummm i can make a website? *Hahahaha*

Newho, I know a lot of video and sound production people as well as actors if we shall need them. They're all highschoolers but they're the best at their level!

11. Sinistar5

Sinistar5 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2003
    I attempted a lightsaber duel sometime back in '98 with my friend from MIT, and the biggest thing I learned is you have to really have a game plan. We rehearsed the saber duel for a few days, but it takes much more work than that to get it really down pat. Storyboard EVERYTHING, just like they do for the films, and if you're going to have a fight of any sort, practice, practice, practice. Also, the only way I know to colorize sabers is to frame-by-frame it in photoshop, which is a pain. You're much better off sticking with blasters, remotes, or ANY other kind of tech that doesn't require that type of consistency, unless you go the 3d route.

12. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    see the less painful way with the rotoscoping in photoshop- cause I know what you are talking about I did that too. Is- if we get a bunch of people who have it (photoshop)- teach everyone what to do- we can split the work! Plus teaching skills and stuff wouldn't be a bad idea on other movie skills.

13. Sinistar5

Sinistar5 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2003
    I agree, dividing the work on a project like this is definitely easier...it took me something like 9 hours working almost nonstop to colorize about 60 seconds -- There are ways to automate the colorizing of the sabers and all, which really helps.

Again, I wouldn't recommend anything involving saber-choreography, unless its just a few seconds, and you have the editing equipment to do quick cuts. With blasters and the like, to produce a really good effect only requires about 4-12 frames. (4 frames for the shot lancing out toward the target + muzzle flash, and then the impact can be achieved with a few more frames by painting on plate pyrotechnics.

My advice on this, is plan it around your effects shots, storyboard everything, and really focus on getting a few good quality shots, rather than a bunch of effects shots, because as you know, its a ton of work, divided up or not.

14. JediDan

Apr 25, 2001
    I would say to split the work would make things easier as well. I have photoshop as well so I could help...plus I may learn something.

Dan

15. RebelCommando

RebelCommando Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    Making a film sounds interesting, but I think it is a project that requires some organization.

It should be discussed through several meetings and in good detail. While this may seem extreme to some, guidelines need to be established.

Also while it is great to have a "talent pool" people should keep in mind that if it is a club or group project that leeway and consideration has to be made and given for anybody that wants to participate. Many of us would be "experimenting" and this would be a first time film project for most of us.

If it isn't enjoyable, it'll end up being a negative experience instead of a fun group project.

16. RebelCommando

RebelCommando Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    I wanted to add that I have helped in making some films, so don't think I"m beign negative about the problems of making a film.

I hesitate to list my experience/knowledge because I don't want in ffect to post a resume. I just wanted to make it clear that I am interested. :)

I have creative skills (making stuff) and writing ability. Mostly poetry and short stories, but also business related writing.

I have computer experience and several machines. Nothing fancy, but then again they're for work and I can't afford to upgrade right now.
    But I'd like to talk about it with AceHoly and everybody.

17. Sinistar5

Sinistar5 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2003
    I think the single biggest cheese-contributor of the fan film is the dialogue. It can be well-written, but there always seems to be too much explaining, when most people watch these things to see what can be achieved in terms of effects with PCs and a little innovation. Plus, I think the actors should have a framework they're more comfortable with -- even the pros seem to squirm with the Lucas dialogue that looks great in a signature file, but its a bitch to say on camera..

18. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    I think if we do a lightsaber scene we just give two guys lightsabers- and let them go at it. Of course maybe film from as many angles as possible. With diff. camera's if possible.

19. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    I think what we should for FanFilm ideas is at the next meeting have a brainstorming session? Then work from there.

20. AdmlDave

AdmlDave Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2003
    I'd say something easy would be good with an emphasis on the digital effects. We seem to have that department covered pretty well. I've also noticed that the better Fan Films either:
    A. Are incredibly funny
    B. Have really flashy lightsaber fights
    I can offer my photoshop services if they are needed. I also have a musical background, so I could help write the music. I've done a few compsositions for my section in band. I can play Saxophone also.
    I can also go on coffee runs for the director.

Seems this has almost turned into my "Getting to know you" post :)

Dave

21. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    Java the Hutt!!! hehehehe

I can be Darth yxes!!! JUST KIDDING!! hahahaha

22. AdmlDave

Mar 20, 2003
    I could also do Pizza the Hutt if the director was in the mood for lunch. :)

23. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    PIZZA!!! Yum!

i love you dave! heheheheh! pizza and coffee. you're the best!

24. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    what about the Frappucino Menace
    where Java the Hutt works at a Starbucks and is visited by three force spirits
    and he has this hottie cashier who wears a metal bikini.

25. AdmlDave

Mar 20, 2003
    May the mocha-espresso-latte be with you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.