main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Film-The Darkness Within

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Darth_Konikus, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Ok, this is the new thread for 'The Darkness Within'. I didnt really want to bump the old thread as its kinda messy.

If you are SERIOUSLY interested and can be relied upon to attend film related meets, sound off here. I want names, ages and where you live as I will have to arrange transport.

We need actors and crew. All are welcome as long as you can turn up. The first meet will be scheduled soon as we need to sort out costumes, parts, jobs and all the other logistics.

Dont be afraid to stand up and be counted. This could be a great project with a little effort from everyone.

2. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    You can count me in Matt :D
    I'd also like to stress to people interested that you need to say with a huge degree of certainty that you can be part of this, mainly because it will help Matt a great deal with getting things off the ground. I'd also like to say that being part of a FanFilm is a great experience too. It can be difficult at times but the sense of achievement when you see the finished article is immense.

3. Darth_Konikus

Feb 10, 2005
    Come on people. There must be some of you out there thar are interested. [face_praying]

4. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I would, however I move next month :(

5. JunoirVader

JunoirVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2004
    I cant sign out of mic user so this is Ell.

I'd love to help.

6. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    You could try here

http://www.ukfanfilms.com/index.php

to see if there are any interested parties. I know they are making one at the moment, but they seem very up for helping people out.

7. Darth_Konikus

Feb 10, 2005
    Cheers for that Jairen.

Ell, if your gonna help out you will need to be able to attend the film meets. If you wont be able to, now is the time to say. If you can though, welcome aboard.

So far thats:

Me
    My Wife
    Lord Tice
    Darth Dom
    Ell?
    And possibly a couple of our friends as crew.

8. JunoirVader

Aug 23, 2004
    When and where would they be?

-Ell

9. anth

anth Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2004
    Hi,

I would just like to say best of luck with your project.

I just got home a couple of days ago from filming on our London based Star Wars fan film. ( i'm guessing you know that though!? *LOL* )

My advice is, plan until you have it all nailed. Especialy on the technical side. Costumes, actors, and props are very important of course. But, it all counts for nothing if on the technical side you can't hear your actors, or the camera's you shoot on are sub standard. You may get away with friends and family for cast, but unless you are lucky the crew may have to be more specialized.

You will get people coming onboard who will contribute beyond what you ever imagined. We were very lucky, we have amazing people involved with ours. I could never thank them enough for their input on costumes etc ( i include you and Koren especialy in that. )

Most of all though, it's a really rewarding and a fun thing to be a part of. You gotta have fun. We had a blast the weekend!

All the best on your project :)

If time allows, and i can help in post production at all. I will.

10. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    Ell: The meets would either be at my house or on location. As for when - starting soon and quite regular.

Anth: Thanx for the offer but I think we have post production pretty much sorted. :)

11. Darth_Konikus

Feb 10, 2005
    ^ That was posted by me for anyone with only half a brain :D

BTW Anth, it was nice meeting you :)

12. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    That site looks like it could be very handy, thanks Phil :)

And thanks for your advice Anth. I agree that sound is probably the most difficult thing to get right, and even if you have flashy cameras and brilliant VFX, if you have rubbish sound it will knock the film down several pegs.
    In the past I've had no choice but to ADR all the dialogue, which worked fairly well but we didn't have a great deal of dialogue anyway. It wont be so bad when shooting inside, but when on location with all the background noise, we'll need a decent microphone and a boom (with a boomoperator) or else it could be a real struggle for it to sound any good.

13. Darth_Konikus

Feb 10, 2005
    I think the whole lot will be over dubbed anyway. You can hire out studios dirt cheap. The best way to do it (so Im told) is to re record everything and mix it with the origional audio with the origional at about 5% volume. That way you get a nice clean recording with a 'dirty' feel to it. The only thing is, you have to be spot on with the dialogue and there is quite a bit of it in the script. But it is worth taking the time to do it. I know loads of places we could hire out but its not hard to make a studio if nobody wants to pay.

14. Darth_Konikus

Feb 10, 2005
    Ok. Here is a short FX reel (only 4 shots totaling 15 secconds) http://www.vaderseyeball.com/Effectsreel.wmv
    Let me know what you thnk.

15. darth_grida

darth_grida Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    Hi I've always wanted to be in a fanfilm, but I was just wondering where abouts things would be held. I have my own costume, well its nearly finished, so yeah, I was just wondering where it would be?

Many Thanks

Darth Grida

16. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Hi Darth Grida :)

Matt lives in Kingston, so a large chunk will be done there, whether it be filming or the inital meets to get things going. Kingston is easy to travel to so if you live around the Greater London area, you should have no problemo, as long as you don't mind a bit of travelling :)

I've begun storyboarding the film and hope to make a lot of progress next week. I wont say it will be finished by next week but you never know ;)

17. JunoirVader

Aug 23, 2004
    Do you have any props, mainly lightsabers, the one i made is a bit poor and when filming my film the blades snaped on all 4 about 3 times each.

-Ell

18. darth_grida

darth_grida Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    Hi, thanks for the reply, I live in south east london, in a place called Bexley so Kingston shouldnt be that hard to get to. And to answer JuniorVader's question, I have my custom built saber, but have not yet found a way to attach the blade :(. I also have a modified droid blaster that the original model, i used was like one of the cheap copies. But now it painted and slightly weathered, so it looks like a battle droid blaster. And I dont know if these are any use but i have a pair of stormtrooper electrobinoculars, and oh, a mechanical hand , like anakins. If u wanna see my props check out my website, which is in my forum signature.

Thanks again,

David

19. Darth_Konikus

Feb 10, 2005
    Hi D.G. If you want to be part of the film you are quite welcome. When Matt has finished the storyboarding, Im gonna meet up with him and have a chat. After that, the first meet will probably be within a couple of weeks. We will be sorting out casting and stuff at the first meet but you need to know that everyone acting in the film will also be expected to work as crew. Which I think is a good thing cos then everyone gets the full experience.
    In relation to your P.M. I'll put a link up over the next couple of days and would be grateful if you would do the same :)

20. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    if any casting requirements come up for fat old *****,then count me in!

RSA EDIT: You must star out the entire word

21. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    as long as no jumping,running or sudden movements are required.
    hey,i could be the christopher lee of the troupe...
    'did i tell you about when i met professor tolkien... the tsar of russia was my second cousin once removed,you know... i need the toilet,oh... too late'
    etc.

22. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Grida, you're not too far away from me as I live in Bromley, Kent. And I've had a look at your site and you have some very good stuff on there :D

I know your pain Ell, we had major problems with the blades. Firstly we tried Bamboo which was very strong so we only had one breakage, but because it was very bendy, it caused some problems with the rotoscoping (having to paint over it for each frame basically). For our second attempt, we used copper pipe but after a while they lost their strength and bent with one hit. So we may have to come up with the ultimate dummy blade ;)

Jamie, you'd be good as the CrimeLord we have the film :p

23. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    then count me in!

24. Darth_Konikus

Feb 10, 2005
    Good thinking Batman ;)

25. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    hang on... what happens to this crime lord character?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.