main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Films are a little... tucked away.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by PaulWrightyThen, Nov 7, 2016.

1. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    Hi,

as a film maker I know that hours of your life are poured down the drain and into the dark recesses of a hobby called 'Making movies'. You think up an idea, you write it, storyboard it, shoot it, edit it and add all the vfx. Dark times indeed.

Now, I know as well as everyone that a lot of 'Fan' endeavours are done by non pros who are doing it for the love and while their efforts are pure, they are bad. They can be unwatchable messes that make us all rethink our lives. Sometimes, however, there are gems. Whether it be the fx are awesome, or its a great story, but maybe lacking a little production value there are some fan films that deserve exposure.

A few really good ones get posted and are then swiftly dispatched to the inactivity graveyard that is 'Fan Activities'. Sure, a post might get a few hundred views, but there is no discussion there. Just tumbleweeds.

Might I suggest a new feature/section/event where if a fan film of note is released, it goes in some sort of prominent position? A hall of fame? A carefully curated area where excellence is put on show?People might get offended that their magnum opus didn't make the cut, but hey, life's not fair.

If this has been suggested before or even exists then I apologise.

Cheers :)

Ananta Chetan and seventhbeacon like this.
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It sounds like a good idea, but it's also an idea that'd need a lot of work, or at the very least someone to take care of it. You'd have to take it with AdamBertocci

3. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

I appreciate that totally. While not having much time in the outside world I would tentatively and with great fear and trepidation put myself forward. I'm a harsh critic though. Some people might not like me then :) Plus it would need others to be involved because I'm the sort of guy that gets very bored very quickly with "Jedi in the woods".

4. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

I would definitely be interested in seeing the Blair Sith Project, though...

PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  5. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    I would only let in films at least as good as 'Troops'. Still one of the best.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  6. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Troops is still my favorite, and the one I go back to the most. I also remember being amused by the one that had the surprise twist of being a Mountain Dew commercial at the end, haha.

7. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    can't remember that one. Another thing I would come down on hard would be rubbish title crawls. So many tutorials, no-one cares...

8. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Just keep in mind with critiquing that it is to give constructive feedback rather than be rip into another's work. It goes a long way to encourage and allow them to develop their skills. The last thing you want to do is to drive away their creativity and their outlet to express themselves.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  9. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    My comment there was a little jokey but based in truth. No-one should rip someones work. But criticism has to be allowed. I'm my own worst critic and take criticism of my work from other people very personally. I then get over myself and progress. You don't get better if you don't get criticised.