main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    My anwers:

1. Inspired by the above conversation...are you one of those people who is perceived as older than they are, younger than they are or close to your exact age? Do others ever go as far as dispute your age?
    Most people think I'm far younger and once they find my actual age, they tend to question my fashion choices and make odd assumptions about my maturity.

2. Since we're all writers here, what was the book or any other medium that got you into writing in general?
    A comic called Perilous Laughing Spell. It's funny how my writing took off because of SW and then I returned to it years and years later. You can see the first four pages of the comic here.

3. Similar to the above, what lead you to picking your current profession?
    It was not planned. I was studying to become a professor of Italian language and literature and due to 12 years of being under pressure before that, I broke down and went from a honour roll student to laughing stock. My family decided to limit me access to pretty much everything I wanted; so I needed a job. At that point, I had dabbled in web design and development for fun for more than four years and I thought I could make a living from it. Now I'm glad it happened, though I would like to complete my degree someday.

Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    DAY THREE

Let's talk about...old shame. :D

1. How did your first experience on the internet look like? What site did you surf to etc?

2. Share your worst blooper, as long as it didn't hurt anybody. Anything from spelling mistakes to completely odd stuff goes.

3. Fan fiction and old shame go hand in hand: so, share a bit of your most cringe-worthy old shame, as long as it's TOS-compilant. If you don't have it, retell us a bit of it.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Oh dear, I don't really remember much. Must have been somewhen in 1997. I kept going to uni because they had free access. I hang around in chatrooms and early forums. I rememebr a HIM forum where I met nice people and we attended concerts together and stuff. Pretty much like FanForce here.

I think I rather offended Sith-I-5 when I arrived here. Promised myself to think first and type later. Didn't always work out. :oops:
    And there was my stint on a j-pop forum. Good fun but a little hyper. [face_blush]
    Hm, I started writing fanfic for Star Trek. And though I got the hint that you didn't ship the main characters with OCs and managed to insert my characters when Stephen was still on board so Spock could get away unscathed. Well, it was badly written and thankfully (?) stops during the tour of the ship when 'the captain introduced the ears.'

Next step were the Kayary short stories and they're still up in pieces here and whole over at ffn. I'm lucky the internet was not around when I did my first writing. [face_relieved]

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Uhh... wow, I forget. It was back in 1996. Then, in 1998, I joined a forum called the WBS Star Wars Cantina as some stupid kid named Zuckuss420. I was a stupid god-moding pile of crap.

I don't really know of one. I've made so many mistakes that I can't pick just one, so here's a dumb typo I made when trying to type "boom box": boob box.

Good god, I had so many. Star Fox/Ah! My Goddess crossover. That's all you need to know because that's all I remember.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    1. I would email and look up airline flights. The first website that I actively surfed socially was TFN.

2. My Commander got orders to go to Picatinny Arsenal in New Jersey. I accidentally mispronounced the name of the Arsenal and ended up saying a racial slur. I thought I was going to die.

3. I wrote my first fan fic after the book The Splinter of the Mind's Eye came out, but before we knew Luke and Leia were siblings. Yep, those two got married. [face_sick]

jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    DAY FOUR:

1. What kind of a crossover would you like to write or see written?

2. If you were to adapt a fairy tale in the GFFA, which one would you adapt and how?

3. What was the first thing you did when you joined this board?

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    1. Inspired by the above conversation...are you one of those people who is perceived as older than they are, younger than they are or close to your exact age? Do others ever go as far as dispute your age?

It depends on the person. My family treats Cushy like a child quite often because they think my high nerves and emotionalism equals immaturity. Strangers and friends on the other hand often consider me very intelligent and at or a few years past my age.

2. Since we're all writers here, what was the book or any other medium that got you into writing in general?

Neither. Writing came to Cushy as a Godsend coping mech when my parents split.

3. Similar to the above, what lead you to picking your current profession?

Cushy doesn't have one. Though I write because I believe it's my Purpose. In a desire to connect, i inspire, and heal.

Star Wars NJO and ST: DS9 where it does Not devolve into better than lameness.

2. If you were to adapt a fairy tale in the GFFA, which one would you adapt and how?

Probably the story of Chiron the Centaur I think into a Cordu-Ji story.

I believe it was declare how attractive I found Sir Christopher and that Dooku is Awesome. I stand by both still but do prefer Jeremy Irons and Peter Cushing far as looks/features now. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    1. Firefly/Star Wars

2. I don't know many fairy tales. I guess Beauty and the Beast. I don't have a particular plot bunny for that at this time.

3. I got in a big fight with Mara haters over in Literature.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm not really sure. Steven Universe/Gravity Falls crossover, possibly.

Make the Little Lost Bantha Cub into one of those Golden Books picture books. And then package it with a plushie Little Lost Bantha Cub.

Announced that I jumped ship from the Official Star Wars forums when they announced their closure.

10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Maybe Star Wars and Harry Potter? I don't know. Those are the only two fandoms I'm into at any level right now.

I always found fairy tales to be boring, so I'd rather not see any. Although, somewhat related (or maybe not), Disney's version of Tarzan could be interesting in a SW setting. No clue how I'd do it, but the wheel is spinning in my head, and it may or may not land on a plot (estimated odds of doing so: 1 in 30 :p).

Well, you see, back in the days (I sound like a senior citizen already :p) of the IGN boards, you could not send a private message until you had made twenty posts on the boards. Apparently, Mod Squad found this rule stupid, but it was baked into the board software and couldn't be changed (or something like that). So in the "Welcome New Users" section, there was a mod-approved thread whose sole purpose in life was for newbies to spam 20 posts (with an incredibly annoying throttle enforcing a 60-second gap between each post) so that they could send private messages. The board rules even permitted banned users to register a sock account and spam that thread with it so that they could discuss their ban privately with a mod.

So my first 20 posts were in that thread, because I had been lurking a game in the RPF and wanted to submit a character sheet to the GM. I still play in that game to this day.

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm not a huge crossover fan, but either a Star Wars/Stargate crossover or a Star Wars/Doctor Who crossover would be cool.

I've tried to come up with fairy tale plots to turn into a Star Wars fic for some LM challenge a few years ago, but nothing ever hit me. Though I think a Sleeping Beauty plot with Luke and Leia (who then find out they are siblings) would be funny.
    I think, like jcgoble I spent it spamming the WNU to get my 20 posts so I could PM if need be. I think I then lurked around lit for a few months.

Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Got a SW/Chobits crossover hanging around. That would ne nice to finish one day.
    A Tin Man crossover could be amazing with magic replaced by the Force. And I'd love to see the K'da warriors (Dragonback series) in SW. Jedi/K'da teams. [face_hypnotized]

The Seven Swans?
    Make an idiot of myself. Also joined the Church of Waru, but that might be one and the same thing. ;)

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    1. Crossover with SW

Star Trek and SW. RKStrikerJK5 and Tychsel did great jobs with that before the move. :D

2. Fairy Tale?

Only one I can think of would be Beauty and the Beast. [face_thinking]

3. First thing I did on the JC.

Read a darkish but still fantabulous L/M story by Jedi Trace, then discovered Red_Gold and the rest is history. LOL

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Catch-up time:

1. In my middle-school days I used my 4800bps modem to visit sci-fi themed BBSes (anyone remember those?). I occasionally joined in discussions, but I mainly spent my time on them collecting Star Trek-related images (mostly just pictures of the main characters, especially Spock) that in those days took forever to open and would fill the whole screen of my XT-clone PC. On one BBS I was chewed out by the mods because they thought I'd lied about my age (I was a 12-year-old with a very mature speech pattern).

2. Well, I've made many bloopers of one kind or another in my time. [face_blush] Who hasn't? But since we're on the topic of early internet experiences... here's one from my very early email days, which were in my early years of college in 1997–98. Not knowing it was a hoax or understanding anything about hoax emails, I forwarded a hoax email to every single one of my fellow students' email address I could think of—and this was on Pine, which lacked BCC as far as I know. Most ignored it, but a few people got all mad at me, which made me feel really sheepish about it. But one person, a librarian who may still be there, was really sweet and understanding about it.

3. I used to write all kinds of what you could call Trek and SW-themed doggerel poetry, some of which I considered semi-serious at the time. Some made it into the high school literary magazine; one semi-serious piece, addressed an allegorical figure of Art who was essentially a Boba Fett-type bounty hunter, won an award in a local high-school-student poetry contest, and I got to read it aloud at a local bookstore. I would dig it up, but it's buried on some floppy disk in my basement.

So instead I'll share a different bit of SW-themed doggerel from that era—one that I have more or less committed to memory because I actually came up with a sort of a tune for it, too:

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi,
    You're my only hope.
    Help me, help me if you can,
    Or else I'll look like a total dope.
    Because the Empire's taken over my ship
    And I just cannot cope.
    So help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi,
    You're my only hope.

We were on our way to Alderaan
    When things started looking blue.
    Some Stormtroopers got on board the ship
    And I just don't know what to do.
    Well, the Stormtroopers might be more tolerable
    If instead of white they were taupe.
    But since they're not, help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi,
    You're my only hope.

Ol' Vader got himself a bounty hunter
    By name of Boba Fett.
    And he'll have you froze in carbonite
    If on his nerves you get.
    Well, at night my pillow's soaked with tears,
    Feels like I'm sleeping on a canteloupe.
    So help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi,
    You're my only hope.

Beware of Old Man Palpatine,
    'Cause he's a real humdinger.
    And if you chance to make him mad,
    Baby, he'll zap you with his finger.
    Well, my morale has shrunk so small these days
    That to see it you need a microscope.
    So come on and help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi,
    You're my only hope.

1. I would love to finish the Original Star Trek/Upstairs, Downstairs crossover my mom and I started planning back when I was in high school or so.

2. Ooh, very interesting question. I love fairy tales and folk stories of all kinds, but I guess one of my all-time favorites is the Eastern European Jewish tale of the golem. Given the hints we got in the prequel trilogy about attempts to create and preserve life using the Force, it would be interesting to see a Jedi or Sith (or any Force adept) trying to create a living being—an organic or mostly organic one, not a droid—to act (successfully or not) as a protective figure.

(Oh, this should totally be a challenge! Anyone? :D )

3. This is an interesting and creative question too. I answered a question "hot or cold?" on that "answer a question, ask a question" game in the "Welcome New Users" forum. And then got knocked down with a feather when TrakNar, whose name I knew I had seen on Wookieepedia, was the one who responded to my post!

TrakNar, JadeLotus and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Findswoman Oh, that fanon poetry! I hear you. And it is totally lovely how clueless non-fans interpret such poems. [face_tee_hee]
    I'm just glad a friend of mine told me that I had not invented acrostic and people WOULD notice. :oops:

I'm actually still fangirling in poetry form:

Skin Coloured Eyes

I am the girl with the skin-coloured eyes
    wind over velvet within
    sky slipping slowly down the face
    streaks of ocean on skin

I am the girl with the snow-coloured skin
    on which your iron glance slips
    terrified gauze, horizon thin
    broken by heart and lips

I am the girl with the eye-coloured lips
    so the circle closes in
    around my neck it softly grips
    I'm not who I have been

[face_blush]

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    DAY THREE

1. How did your first experience on the internet look like? What site did you surf to etc?
    This was in May 1998. I went to my favourite band's official website and saved a bunch of pictures. My friend's family kept their computer in the basement, so nobody would know that they had internet. Ummm...

2. Share your worst blooper, as long as it didn't hurt anybody. Anything from spelling mistakes to completely odd stuff goes.
    "My mother is a dog, just like you."

I am...not 100% sure about the context, but I am sure that I was not talking to a dog.

And let's not get in the details on how many times I typed MASSAGE BOARD on the course of the last fifteen years.

3. Fan fiction and old shame go hand in hand: so, share a bit of your most cringe-worthy old shame, as long as it's TOS-compilant. If you don't have it, retell us a bit of it.
    This was written in 2001 and everything you have to know is that men named Michael and Jacques argued, hit each other on the head and that Jacques ended up with temporary amnesia and Michael was not able to say anything apart from three very, very specific words: lobster, butter and zucchini. Liz, Michael's supposed girlfriend, is trying to mend things between the two, while Karen, Jacques' girlfriend is not present.

On the other bed Liz was trying to wake Michael up, with the help of Kerry, Nick and Kimi. He was obviously breathing, but he wasn't moving. Suddenly, he woke up.

"Michael? Are you all right?"

"Lobster?"

"WHAT?"

"Lobster. Lobster. Butter. Zucchini."

Liz banged her head against the wall. Michael's speech center got a little damaged after Eddie's hit in the head. Unluckily, he was remembering only three words-those he was listening all throughout yesterday. Juan and Eddie, who has recovered from Karen's hit, were laughing like mad.

"So, Liz, you're a lobster and he's butter who was fighting with zucchini! Very funny!"

"Back off, Juan! You too, Eddie...unless you want one more kick! I warn you. My shoes are heavier than Karen's slippers!"

The two guys went away without showing any sign to stop their hysteric laughter. Liz put her head in her hands. She didn't know what to do.

"Lobster?" Michael asked very seriously. He wasn't very much hurt, he had only some scabs and a couple of lumps on his head.

"What do you want? Is there any way I can help you?"

"L-o-b-s-t-e-r!" he said licking his lips. Liz was still confused.

"I got it!" Kerry said, "He needs a drink of water!"

"Gosh, you're right! I'm gonna get some straight away!"

"No, you should stay by his side...I will get it for you!"

"Oh, thanks, Kerry, you're a real friend!"

Michael was still mumbling some nonsense, but Liz was happy, because someone was helping her - Kerry, the Good Samaritan.

Michael was the one to melt the ice. He called Jacques to come to him saying: "Zucchini!Lobster, zucchini, butter, butter!"

"Jacques, he wants to apologise to you!"

"Apologise for what? And, who's that man?"

"Lobster!" said Michael with a shrug.

"Doesn't matter! Just say that you're sorry too."

"All right, Mr. Lobster, I am sorry too."

They shook each other's hand and sat down.

Findswoman likes this.
  17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't specifically remember. I do remember ICQ, geosites with their spinning gifs and Napster taking 3 hours to download a song and someone picking up the phone in the middle and completely destroying it. :p

I know I've had a lot of them, I embarrass myself pretty much everyday, but I try not to think about it or I will dwell on something really stupid for days.

I actually like the first fanfic I wrote, and still feel like it was one of my stronger works... my writing skills have certainly gone downhill since then.

I once wrote part of a Firefly/SW crossover with someone else and we never finished it. The two worlds blended together really well, so I'd say another Firefly/SW crossover is what I'd like to write.

I think a lot of them would work well becauses SW has so many classic themes. I don't know which one I would do though.

I lurked for quite a while, but my first post was to ask if anyone could scan the rules for Star Wars Risk because my boyfriend at the time and I had lost them and knew there were slightly different rules. I pretty quickly moved on to fanfic from there.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    1. Something that would be fun to read but probably hard to make is a story that have Tail Spin, the Gummi Bears and other Disney stories taking place on different planets in the GFFA and binding it all together in some way.

2. I don't know its name but there is a, I think Russian, fairy tale that would be nice to see adapted it involved (in the version I heard) a giant who had hidden his heart in a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest, which is at the bottom of a well, which is in a tower, which is on an island in the middle of an lake. I think it involved the hero looking for his love, or the princess, and along the way he helped different animals (I remember a wolf and a pike but there was probably more) that later come to his help when he needed it.

I think such an story about being helpful and working together would fit SW.

3. I don't remember THE first thing I did but one of the fist things I did was to have a longer discussion with Gorefiend regarding the voxyn which I had, and still have, problem with.

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Gamiel - It's called Vasilisa Prekrasnaya and I love it, too. I also love it when the fire burns behind the hero and flowers blossom ahead of him. At least that's how it was in the translated version I read as a kid, I should look up the Russian original and see if such comparison exists. Either way, the story would look gorgeous in GFFA.

MsLanna - That poem is quite something. It can be looked from so many angles, but when one looks at it as an avant-garde piece of work taking a classic form...it's stunning.

Findswoman - Well, at night my pillow's soaked with tears / Feels like I'm sleeping on a canteloupe. <--- this is my new favourite EVERYTHING and you, you are my lobster.

Love everybody's ideas for fairy tale crossovers and I would totally run a challenge on this. If I am allowed to, that is. Of course, a link would be provided for each story. :)

Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    DAY FOUR:

Don Rosa's Return to Xanadu meets the heroes of Yavin. Why not.

The Three Bears comes to mind. And yeah, it probably is what you think it is.

I posted a thread to introduce myself and the newbies mod more or less made me feel uncomfortable when she mentioned some sort of a reality show in her home country where people are sent to less developed countries. Ummm...OK?!

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    DAY FIVE

1. Tell me about your avatar: what is it, why did you pick it and, if known, who drew it/took the photo.

2. With so many languages in the GFFA existing in some form in canon and the legends continuities, which one would you like to speak, if it was possible and actually useful?

3. Name the one absolutely useless skill or talent you have.

Findswoman likes this.
  22. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Great questions!

1. "Space Cat" was a series of children's books by Scottish writer Ruthven Todd, published in the 1950s and 1960s. The illustrator was Paul Gadone. The avatar I use is from his 1952 work, followed by the classics "Space Cat Visits Venus," "Space Cat Meets Mars," and the final work in the series, "Space Cat and the Kittens." Why? I love cats and science fiction. Why not both? And it's soooooo quirky looking. (PS- I looked on Amazon. I can buy a copy of Space Cat for $270.00.)

2. Twi'leki is a cool language. The Twi'lek speak it (obvs) and it's a combination of spoken word and subtle twists and movements of the lekku. In fact, you can carry on entire conversations using just the lekku, nothing spoken aloud at all. Of course,I'd need to be a Twi'lek to speak it, so as a human that may be a problem.

3. I can make this weird noise with the back of my throat that sounds just like a dolphin.

Gamiel, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    1. It was drawn for me by my friend FalconFan. She is a good friend and a great artist.

2. Basic, because most people speak it.

3. I used to be able to dance the Kozachok. I'd probably hurt myself if I tried to do it today.

24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    1. My icon was drawn by the very good British friend who introduced me to both fanfic and action figure customizing and who was my first beta reader and in many ways a writing partner. On top of all his other talents, he was also good at cartooning. Originally the background was white; the black was my addition.

2. As with a similar question asked some weeks back, one of my answers to this question will no doubt be obvious from my username, my icon, etc. :p Another GFFA language I'd be interested to learn more of is Olys Corellisi, which from what I understand is a foundational language to Galactic Basic almost the way Middle English and Latin are to English—and indeed from the vocabulary list in the Wook it looks like an interesting hybrid of both those early Earth languages.

3. I can do some basic Polynesian dance moves and a tiny bit of Tuvan throat-singing, both of which I learned in student-taught courses in college.

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, that is Muppet Stormtroopers. I wonder if they can shoot any better than regular stormtroopers. :p It's a photo I took myself at Celebration VI. I have a personal rule that I never use anything for an avatar on any site except a photo that I took myself.

As for why I have it, well, I never did pick an icon on the old IGN boards (back then you couldn't upload your own), and when XenForo rolled around, I stuck with the default avatar for a long time. Then in a discussion thread for the RPG I play in, somebody commented that some action or other in the game might break the boards with its awesomeness (or something like that). Another player retorted that what would break the boards is if I ever uploaded an avatar. My response was to do exactly that, because I couldn't resist it after that comment. :p

Since we all already more or less know Basic, I'll say Huttese, because it seems like one of the more useful languages.

The ability to bang my foot on anything, anywhere, at any time. :p OK, not really (TrakNar is the master of that [face_beatup]), but honestly, I don't really have one. I mentioned my ability to hum the Final Jeopardy! music in precisely 30 seconds earlier in the week, but I don't really have that ability any more.

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and TrakNar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.