main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ewok Poet's last question

This guy is just... creepy.

At this point, I guess it's a mixture of boredom and a creative outlet. It's just nice to play God in my own little world where I can do whatever I want. I guess that is more a reason than a inspiration. I guess it's wanting to develop these characters.
    I did a short section and got Stephen King. I then did a ~18000 word section and got James Joyce

Daily Question:

The Queen of England, just so that I could say the Queen of England is coming for dinner :p Or possibly a famous, successful writer like Stephen Moffat, so I could learn some of what he thinks makes an interesting story.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    A certain YouTuber by the name of shoe0nhead. ;)

3. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

1. This is one that really annoys me - it's meant to be "hilariously" non-PC but is really just awful.

2. I enjoy it, and find its an appropriate distraction from things that are less than perfect IRL. I don't think I would engage as much in fandom if I didn't read/write fanfic.

3. I tried a few different writing samples and got Cory Doctorow (never heard of them), James Joyce and Douglas Adams [face_dunno]

Carrie Fisher, because she'd be a hoot, and I reckon I could make her spill something about TFA.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    (6/14/15) 1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?

I would say Stephen Colbert. I not only think the man is hilarious, but if I had dinner with him I could say I had dinner with a man who won three Emmys, two Peabody Awards and a Grammy. He also has a Ben & Jerry ice cream flavor named after him, Virgin American named an airplane after him called "Air Colbert". There are four newly discovered animal species named after him. A trapdoor spider named Aptostichus stephencolberti, a diving beetle named Agaporomorphus colberti, a stonefly named Diamphipnoa colberti, and a parasitic wasp named Aleiodes colberti. He also has a treadmill on the International Space Station named after him. It is the only piece of NASA equipment named after a living person. This dude rocks!

(6/15/15) 2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?

Not really. I would rather be an anonymous, but filthy rich person who doesn't have to deal with the paparazzi.

mavjade , amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I wouldn't mind being a famous author.

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'd want to be famous for my work (preferably my writing), not for being some pointless celebrity. For the most part we probably all can list off a bunch of famous writers, but only devoted fans can really put a face/life story to a writer.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    (6/14/15) 1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
    I had to ponder on this a bit because there are so many people. Right at this moment I'd say Audra McDonald. She's an actress who has won more Tony's than any other actor and the only person to win in all 4 acting categories. She's an amazing talent, my favorite Broadway star and I would love just to talk to her about theater.

6/15/15) 2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?
    It would depend what I'm famous for. For theater, acting or something along those lines, I think I'd deal with it. I wouldn't be someone that would be out partying or doing crazy things, the most the paparazzi would see me doing would be eating. :p

I wouldn't want to be famous for doing something stupid.

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You mean you don't want to be famous for Wal-Mart aisle fighting? ;)

mavjade , Goodwood and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Just friends of mine from out of state.

Only as a name and guest at a con. Otherwise, no. I just want name value.

(6/16/15) 3. Before making a phone call, do you ever rehearse what you're going to say? Why?
    Yes, because I require scripts and rehearsal, otherwise I mumble and stutter and stumble and can't otherwise talk over the phone.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    (6/16/15) 3. Before making a phone call, do you ever rehearse what you're going to say? Why?

Only if I am calling somebody I don't know about business. There is nothing worse than calling somebody about an important matter and then getting all tongue tied.

11. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005

Unless it's someone I'm really familure with, (like my parents or boyfriend), all the time. I avoid using the phone like the plague because I hate it, so if I'm calling someone I do try and figure out what I'm going to say first. If I don't a get really nervous and tend to ramble and trip over myself. I'll go to great lengths to not use the phone, even going way out of my way to do something in person rather than call.

Even at work, I try and work out the options I might need to give someone before returning a page, though this can be hard when they don't give me any details in the page.

12. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

Yes, almost always. I suffer from anxiety and really dread the unpredictable nature of a telephone call - so many ways to stuff it up! I have to call people for work sometimes, and if it's really bothering me I will write down a little "script" of what I'm going to say.

13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I used to have a steady answer for this, but now nooooooooooope, no way. Do not want. My perfect dinner guests are my friends from places like this one. :)

I experienced a couple of wrong kinds of famous.

The "she recorded Amy Winehouse's last show" - famous from tomorrow four years ago was not a pleasant experience. I had people twice as old as me send me death threats and this worsened when they found out that I was straight-edge, fueled by some insane troll logic. After she died, it got even worse. People just don't get the idea of somebody who was half-deaf from allergy on that day recording the show for her mother, because we had no money for two tickets at the time.

The "she owns the only website about him" - famous from the past eleven years is a strange experience as well. People flock towards me everywhere, send me friend requests and then they want to talk about one person, all the time. If they actually take a look at my art, they look for specific influences in it and...oooh, boy, it's offensive. But nothing is worse than objectification, people calling me dude and then resorting to dare to call me honey and other crap, accusing me of want to suck a certain thing and such.

This place and the other forum I post on have given me a chance to be me again and not the said "groupie" I am not.

The "she writes some great stuff" - famous is what I would prefer. And I agree with Briannakin that the fans of writers are rarely fanatics.

Strangely enough, despite being a person whose anxiety can be crippling sometimes, no, I don't. But I don't like answering calls from unknown numbers, that freaks me out.

(6/17/15) 4. What would constitute a perfect day for you?
    It's a Lou Reed song that is actually about heroin, right? OK, then...it has lyrics, music and interpretations. That is what it consists of. *shrug*.

In reality, when I play one of these, any day can be perfect. Extreme happiness is overrated and it's the little things that make our days perfect. :)

TrakNar and Findswoman like this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    What would constitute a perfect day for you?

I can't think of what would be a perfect day now. Life is way too complicated. I can tell you some of my best days were when I was in the Army and stationed at Fort Monmouth NJ. A guy in my squad had a large sailboat and lived in New Jersey. He often invited the entire squad out sailing. It was so much fun to sail with my friends. He still has the very same sailboat. He races it and just got it refurbished. I think a perfect day would be a reunion of our squad and go out sailing once again.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    A day that is stress-free. No stress of any kind. Even if the day is meh. So long as it wasn't stressful, then it's a perfect day.

jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    My perfect day? Yowza, what a question.

It depends somewhat on my mood, but overall, my perfect day would be one spent at a large get-together of friends, in a nice, warm locale with something fun that everyone can participate in. Say, a day trip out of Key West to the reefs on a large party boat, to pursue all sorts of aquatic activities including snorkeling, kayaking, jet-ski riding, para-sailing, you name it. I've done this sort of thing before (my birthday, 2010), but it would be just so much more awesome if done with friends and family, such that everyone knew each other somehow and was on decent to good terms. Cap it all off with a big dinner at a restaurant (any restaurant, really, even the cheap kind), and that'd be my perfect day.

Of course, it would be even better if I found someone along the way to spend some time alone with afterward. ;)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I try to have a 'perfect' day when ever I go on vacation (specifically to a place with a beach). Just me and the person I love, no one else. Sleep in, coffee in bed or maybe on a porch, just some place I don't have to get out of my pajamas. Then going to lay on the beach, reading, taking a nap on the beach, then later getting dressed up to go to dinner with wonderful and unique food, then a walk along the beach at night. No stress, no timelines, just complete relaxation. All inclusive resorts are good for this because everything is already paid for and you really have nothing to worry about.

I love adventure and excitement, but there's something about doing nothing that is so wonderful.

Nyota's Heart, TrakNar and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    That is definitely true. However, folks in my position are all too often faced with an overabundance of "doing nothing." Hence why we, like Luke Skywalker, crave "adventure, meh! excitement, hmph!" ;) :p

19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    :eek: I'm what, like, three weeks late? And it's a shame because I missed a lot of great questions. Well, anyway, I'll play catch-up on the more recent ones.

1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?

I'll understand "guest" to mean someone from outside my normal environment, so I'll go for John LeCarré. I love his books and I could listen to him talking about them, and about the personal experiences that led him to write them, for hours.

2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?

Definitely not. I like being an anonymous.

3. Before making a phone call, do you ever rehearse what you're going to say? Why?

For work calls, yes, all the time -- I write down my talking points and make sure that I have it all covered before I hang up. I don't like being caught unawares and having to make a dozen follow-up phone calls, I feel it makes me look like I'm not a serious person.

For private calls, never -- following up a call with a dozen SMSes to say the stuff I forgot is my specialty 8-}

4. What would constitute a perfect day for you?

I'm tempted to answer "doing nothing" like mav, but I don't think I ever managed to spend a day doing really nothing in my life. Somehow my overexcited brain always prods me to do something. So I'll say: a day in which I manage to do everything I was planning to do (that doesn't happen very often either).

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I don't ever make phone calls. If I need to call someone, I get someone else to do it. If I REALLY need to contact my mother, sister or brothers in an emergency, then yes.
    Not really a 'planned set of events', but doing something new that goes really well.

Though if it's during school, then it would be doing everything I need to do and having some time left to do what I want.

Myself? This evening as I was doing dishes I made up this song and sang it (it's to the tune of I Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts)
    I got a lot of my mother's casserole dishes,
    here they are, all sitting in my sink,
    clean ones, dirty ones, some older than me,
    [expletive], better not drop this,
    or my mommy will beat me dead.

To someone else? Last Christmas my brothers and I (NONE of us can sing) wanted to really annoy our mother, so we broke out into "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas".

Nyota's Heart and Raissa Baiard like this.
  21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    (6/18/15) 5. When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?

Earlier today, and it was the Atop the Fourth Wall theme song.

To someone else? Most likely Christmas and it was "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" because I can get my voice deep enough to pull off a fair Thurl Ravencroft impression.

jcgoble3 and Raissa Baiard like this.
  22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    1a. In the shower this morning. Weak due to being sick, though. :(

1b. "Puff the Magic Dragon" for my newest support person, just to prove that I've got the pipes. ;)

23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    5. When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?

I never sing. It would cause extreme weather phenomena.

24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

The above reply would apply to me as well and the extreme weather phenomena would be small meteors coming from other people's homes...but yeah, I sing to myself a lot and I did a super-weird cover of Basket Case for a karaoke contest some months ago.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I think that's why I like it, because my work days are the opposite: high stress, fast paced, and you never know what may happen next. It's nice to not have to worry about anything sometimes. :)

Today, for pretty much 4 solid hours on the drive to NYC. I'm pretty much always singing, in the car, while I cook, when I'm getting ready, at just random points in the day, etc.. My mom says she can tell a lot about me by how much I'm singing or not singing over a period of time.

I don't really sing to other people as I'm not that great of a singer, but I will sing when people I'm comfortable with are around (boyfriend, parents, sometimes my roommates).

Nyota's Heart and Goodwood like this.
  26. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004

Today in the car. To someone else? I can't remember. Probably a few weeks ago when traveling with friends in the car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.