main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay [:D] In the meantime, how confused were you the first time you visited Greece and heard people say "yes"? Any funny stories you'd like to share?

(For non-Serbian, non-Greek people on this thread -- i.e. everyone other than Ewok Poet and myself -- the word "nê" means yes in Greek and no in Serbian, and that's probably the explanation for the long history of misunderstandings between Serbia and Greece :p )

Kahara, Ewok Poet, Goodwood and 3 others like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The first time around, it did freak me out. I was seven, I had this "magic" type of a toy that was sold at the newspaper kiosk and, in my broken English, I asked an older boy at the hotel, a local, to help me with the trick. He responded with "Ne, ne" and I broke down, thinking he's being mean. Then he went on to explain how the trick works and eventually, his father stepped in and explained that "ne" is "yes". I obviously asked what's a "no" next and then we went on to have a wonderful convo about how to say this in Greek or that in Serbian, over large cones of Colosseum.

MmmColosseum...sKrew Nestle for having discontinued that when they took over Delta. :(

*thinks*

Mmmm, Top Gun...especially before the name change...mmmm.

Also, what misunderstandings? :eek: I only have the same kind of those as I have with Serbs, because, yeah, BALKANS, patriarchy, some backwards views, some inflated sense of patriotism et cetera. :p

As per cartoon, Latara composes music and plays the flute, so even though she's the only cartoon Ewok who hasn't been magically retconed to ROTJ, in my fanon, she came up with the melody when her hurt boyfriend came up to her to whine about what R2-D2 did to his backside the night before the Battle of Endor...and after the battle, I can actually imagine her yelling at the potential performers for not being able to get it right. Not to mention that getting her boyfriend to play drums must've had an actual significance to her and that she probably went ape with the other drummer for improvising.

Now onto your second question...

-EDITED, SORRY- sadly, I cannot play an instrument, nor I know much music theory, so I'm apologising in advance that my answers may be beyond just amateurish. I have a pretty decent sense of rhythm (ummm, I hope my character choice isn't starting to sound narcissistic given all the common traits), so sometimes, when the words are right, I do have a melody for certain poems in my head, some other times, I cross about every single metric available and it would be impossible.

My ex "boyfriend" sung to one of my songs and improvised on bass guitar, but it was...weird, to say the least. Some years ago, some people on my forum did four versions of a song, with one of my older poems serving for lyrics. That's all I can think of, on top of my head.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Which is your favorite non-Jedi/Sith Force tradition?

Which non-Jedi/Sith Force tradition would you like to see more of? They can be the same

4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I thought about this and the answer is nothing. The way they have their world, isolated from progress, yet progressing in terms of what us advanced species would call sociology, anthropology etc, it's just perfect.

This is not a 100% correct answer as it doesn't touch a specific culture, but the first thing that comes to my mind is placing Gungans at the Times Square and the Sydney Harbour for New Year's. They would be at home there, with everything so pseudo-translucent.

1. A seed to a tree I could plant at home. The more trees, the merrier. I adore trees.

2. If I was stuck in the time before Sunstar's destruction, I would like to try and use it, to see if I'm a force sensitive. Far less intimidating than, say, a lightsaber.

3. Since I would be stranded, I believe I would need food and water. :p

Kahara, Gamiel, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm probably not the best person to be asked this, because I'm totally going to link you to two pagan-ish instances of animal summoning, from a children's cartoon. Because...well, because because.

16:24 to 18:00

So...it turns out that I misread the question, assuming its first part was a question per sé and that I need to name an artifact that impresses me. Oooh, boy, I'm kinda stupid sometimes. Sorry for keeping you waiting, given that the actual answer to the actual question is simple.

I'm pretty big on Vienna Secession, Dadaism and most of the early XX century genres.

Kahara, Gamiel and Chyntuck like this.
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Now that the interview week is about to end, are there any questions that you haven't been asked that you wish someone (either Gamiel or otherwise :p ) would ask? :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I kinda wish somebody asked something about music, songs, playlists or anything like that, but it was good, either way. :)

Chyntuck and Nyota's Heart like this.
  8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ok! I shall do so right now. What kind of music do you enjoy listening to? How do you organize your playlists, and what's on them? :D

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Let me squeeze this in. LOL Is there a classic form of music where you come from that sort of defines the region? A particular style of music, or an instrument? :cool:

Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

How classic is classic for you?

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Something that embodies the history and traditions ... [face_thinking] That, if you traveled abroad, and heard it, you'd think of home. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks for answering questions Ewok Poet!

This week's subject of FFAMA is... @Viridian-Maiden

13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Viridian-Maiden ! [:D]

Which "version" of Obi-wan (TPM/AOTC/ROTS/OT) is your favourite and why?

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What comics do you read?

NightWatcher91 likes this.
  15. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    Which era of Star Wars do you prefer?

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What is the source of your unique and pretty username? :D

17. Viridian-Maiden

Viridian-Maiden Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2013
    Oh heyyyy TFN friends! [humble bow]

Character-wise, I don't think I can pick between them, because how can I judge the character of a person at different points in their life? At every point Obi-wan is wise and intelligent. That being said, when I write, I always imagine him more like he looks in ROTS, but a little more with some of his AOTC mannerisms. (So somewhere in the middle, I guess?) He starts off the PT still maturing. By the time of ROTS he's advanced a member of the Council so he must have proven his abilities but he's also a little more humbled/aware of his limitations as a Jedi, I think. Of course, by the end of ROTS we've seen a fully human range of emotions as he grapples with what's happening. In AOTC, he still has some of that delicious braggadocio/"just-try-and-hurt-me" sense of his own competence. Plus, I love the way he lays down the law with Anakin. That being said, as much as I like Ewan MacGregor, I'm not so sure he can yet be compared to Alec Guinness. I mean, that's sortof just a whole different thing, isn't it?

The only comics I ever really read are the newspaper variety, like Calvin and Hobbes. As far as comic books goes...I've never really read any but there are a few fandoms that might induce me to read them. SW would be one of them. So if you have recommendations... ;)

I have to profess ignorance of most of the eras in SW except what we get from the good old PT/OT. I keep meaning to get into the EU profic -- I even started reading one or two at one point (Tatooine Ghost?) -- but at this point I wonder whether it's worth getting into with the alleged override of the "Beyond" canon. Again, I'll take recommendations. I didn't stop reading Tatooine Ghost for lack of interest. I just got busy with something else that summer. I'm also a little bit of a gamer, so I may check out TOR at some point. Sorry I don't have a better response!

Nyota's Heart, you're going to hate me for this response, but that's actually coming in my next chapter. I know, dear Beta, that my promises are cheap but since you asked I will earnestly attempt to answer in full by the end of the week! For now I'll give you a hint: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_crystal

Really, I think I just need other things to fill up my RL right now because I always fanfic better when my mind is loaded on other stimuli and I'm supposed to be doing other things. :D

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of mythological creature would you like to see in SW?

19. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I would suggest the Thrawn trilogy and the Knights of the Old Republic comic series, respectively, for starting points. The Thrawn trilogy requires no knowledge of the EU to understand, and KotOR is a straight-up fun story with plenty of humor.

And since I guess I should ask a question, what do you do for a living?

Kahara likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Well a classic recommendation is Tintin
    [​IMG]

and I have personally liked - Prophet
    [​IMG]

Glory
    [​IMG]

Ravine
    [​IMG]

The Portent
    [​IMG]

Hellboy
    [​IMG]

Okko
    [​IMG]

Baltimore
    [​IMG]

Tales of the Jedi
    [​IMG]

Grandville
    [​IMG]

Arkwright Integral
    [​IMG]

Usagi Yojimbo
    [​IMG]

Domovoi

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    How much in-depth plotting do you do? Broad or very detailed? And for OCs--what kinds of inspirations do you find most useful?

22. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    How did you first get into Star Wars?

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Favorite sweet treat/indulgence? :)

24. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    What do you want to see in Episode VIII?

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  25. Viridian-Maiden

Viridian-Maiden Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2013
    I would love to see something based on the concept of the Jinn. Aside from the whole "Aladdin and the lamp" interpretation of Jinn, they're akin to angels in some sense but beings of fire. As far as I'm aware, there are mammalian species, reptilian species, insectoid species, and even sentient plant-like species. Probably there are species evolved on volcanic planets who have the ability to withstand fire. But I'm unaware of any species that is actually made of fire. And consider this: if the Force = life = energy, and fire = energy, who's to say there couldn't be a living species actually made of fire? I'd love to see that fleshed out. That would be super cool.

I totally used to read Tintin as a kid/teen! He is classic. And thanks for the other recommendations!

Well, I've currently been in this transition of sorts, so I'm unemployed at the moment. (Yes, hence more time to write but see my other response above...) But I am a trained lawyer trying to enter the field of immigration/citizenship.

Honestly, I only do very broad plotting, so I have an idea where the story is going. I find the more complex I try to make things at the start, the harder it gets. I just need something to drive the story forward and the rest will either come or get left. Plus, I like to be surprised by the details along the way too!

When it comes to OCs, I think it would be fair to admit that the big ones are in some sense a side of me - something I either see in me that doesn't come out or that I want to have as a person. Other than that, I don't know. I feel like once I conceive of them, they just are. They know who they are and all the details of their own backstory. It already exists, I just have to find it. And usually when I first conceive of an OC, it feels similar too. I feel like they were there all along, it's just that nobody's paid attention to them. When I watch the films, (yes I'm biased but aren't we all?) I see Katya there. She has exactly 0 minutes and 0 seconds of screen time so nobody else will see her. But the evidence of her existence feels very real to me - in some respects incontrovertible. :)

As a writer, I have always really identified with Charles Dickens' in terms of what he said about writing:

"As to the way in which these characters have opened out, that is to me one of the most surprising processes of the mind in this sort of invention. Given what one knows, what one does not know springs up; and I am as absolutely certain of its being true, as I am of the law of gravitation — if such a thing be possible — more so."

There's another Dickens quote I couldn't find in which he describes the way his characters seemed real to him - real enough to stand around his desk to beg for larger parts and more attention, and at other times he expressed what many of us have experienced from a character determined to go their own way and to do what they want no matter our intentions for them. Those are the best moments to be a writer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.