main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards Fanfic Awards -- We want your input!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Laure: I agree with Mira; that?s a great idea!

Mira: Awesome!! I?ve added Non-SFF to the list :D

jop: Self-nominations aren?t allowed for any era. While we are, obviously, making our ?era? more geared toward NSWFF, we can?t just change the rules for us.

What would be unfair is limiting peoples? choices for what they could nominate. Forcing people to limit the stories they nominate is going to limit their enjoyment and participation, too.

There are a lot more fandoms this year than there were last year; chances are that there will still be high representation from the two or three most popular fandoms, but more will be nominated. And the non-ST/HP stories held their own pretty well last year, so I don?t think total domination by any fandom is something we need to worry about.

Honestly, the same thing happens in the other eras?in Beyond, for instance, more stories about the Skywalker/Solo clan will get noms than the Rogue/Wraith stories. It just depends on peoples? taste for characters or plots?or, in our case, fandoms. And even so, considering our small numbers and wide variety of interests, stories with 3 or 4 regular readers are stories with lots of readers.

The downside of doing awards by popular vote is that not everyone?s stories get in. The best thing you can do is vote for stories you think deserve to be in?because you like them, not because of whether others do or do not read them. But we have to respect everyone?s right to choose what they like in a story, which is completely subjective and individual, even if people favor some fandoms over others. The awards are about having fun and rewarding our friends for their hard work, and thanking them for the enjoyment they?ve provided.

Fels: Do you recommend that for all the eras? I admit, I do think the whole process takes a while. Especially since nominations and voting rounds are all 10 days long; they could probably stand to be shortened across the board.

Do you have suggestions for particular categories to combine?

Raphire: That?s a really interesting idea! There are a few (such as Best Underrated and some of the character awards, among others) that I?d like to see return, but your idea of cutting down the Style awards is good; that set had low noms in several categories last year.

2. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Okay, then I'd say keep what we have, and go with the original suggestion: Lower the minimum vote requirment for a story to be nominated from 3 to 1.

3. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    B-b-b-but I like Best Crossover! Crossovers are fun! :-B

4. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Yes, cut down the times for all eras. It simply takes too long. Shave it to maybe a week for each part. Give the volunteers a day or two in-between to send out PMs/count votes.

Here's some combination/deletion ideas:

Best Alternate Universe- cut this out completely. With so many different fandoms (and ones with multiple reboots), what can be considered AU is almost vague and confusing to some.

Best Canon- Could go either way.

Most Underrated (a story that averages 6 or less readers per post)- This category is simply outdated for all four award sets. With board traffic down, almost ever story counts.

Best Songfic/Best Poem -Put these two together (as someone mentioned above). Separately, there just aren't enough. Maybe rename it?

Best Series- Are there enough series stories for this category to exist?

Best Original Character, Male/Best Original Character, Female- Combine the two. Not enough to warrant two categories

Best Non-Human
    - Get rid of this.

Best Child (for characters under the age of thirteen, either canon or original)- Lose it. If a child character is written well, it can be nominated for best male/female canon/OC character.

Best Collaborative (Multi-author or round-robin) - Are there any of these, at the moment? If there aren't at least two, ditch the category. It can always come back if there are several another year.

Also, maybe combine Crossover and Multi-universe.

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Thank-you for taking the time to go through that, FG! [:D]

I agree with cutting down on the time between rounds. Is there anyone out there who really needed the full time to get in their noms/excerpts/votes? Procrastinators, aside. ;)

That's a really good point. And with so many fandoms, it may just be simpler to cut this one entirely.

If we cut one, may as well do both. Although I'm open to an argument in either direction. :)

I believe that 'lyrical expression' was the suggestion above. I liked that. :cool:

Nat and I were just talking about this. We were thinking about still keeping the category, but going with the suggestion of lowering the readership count. Instead of having a maximum of six ? maybe one or two readers per post. We were still debating numbers.

On that note - is there a general idea on what number would be appropriate for that?

You, the people, can decide. :p

~MJ @};-

6. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007

I agree with some of the combinations. The ones that I would not be in favor of are:

Most Underated: That is a MUST KEEP, just make any it any story that has no more than 3 readers per post. Otherwise, nearly all the stories would qualify. This should be a category for those of us who struggle to attract readers. 6 may be ideal for the other boards, but for NSWFF, there aren't that many readers or writers. I would dare say even the most popular fan fiction stories here don't get that many.

Best Series: This one can go either way. There are series out out there. This can go to drabble series, one-shot series, or any series of fan fiction that is or going to be part of at least a trilogy. I know of quite a few drabble series out there, and I'm in the middle of doing two series myself. There's enough to warrant this category.

Personally, I don't think too many categories need to be combined, especially if we lower the required number of votes to get nominated. I agree, best collaborative can be put on hiatus until more people are willing to do some. I've tried to get one going, but there really isn't much interest in it right now, but that could change in the future.

This should liven up all the categories. Other than that, anything to shorten up the process sounds good to me.

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    After thinking about everyone's suggestions, what do you all think about this as a final list for this year? We have 24 categories below.

Genre

Best Action
    Best Drama
    Best Romance
    Best Humour
    Best Sci-Fi
    Best Fantasy
    Best Non-SFF
    Best Multi-Fandom
    Best Obscure Fandom
    Best All Around

Style

Most Underrated
    Best Response To A Challenge
    Best Multi-Post Story
    Best Vignette
    Best Drabbles
    Best 50 Sentences

Character

Best Canon Interpretation, Male
    Best Canon Interpretation, Female
    Best Original Character
    Best Villain
    Best Ensemble Cast

Author

Best Author
    Best New Author
    Best Technical Author

8. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    That looks good to me.

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ooops, made an error originally. Just changed "Best Short Story" to "Best Multi-Post Story." A bunch of us agree that there aern't a whole lot of epics; most stories are under the 30,000-word mark. But it didn't seem fair to take out Best Epic and leave Best Short Story in, so Best Multi-Post covers them all.

10. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Not enough best epics stories? Here is a list of ones I found on the first five pages.

1. ATLA: Soul of Fire by MasterGandalf
    2. HTTYD: Trial by Fire by mrjop2
    3. Superman: The Man of Steel by mrjop2
    4. ATLA: Children of War by MasterGandalf
    5. G.I.Joe: Heroes and Terrorists by Darth_Henning
    6. Superman: The Last Son of Kryptonby mrjop 2

HP Slave Child by Kritzen ---oops, this one doesn't count. It was started in 2009
    War and Peace: Fragments of our Lives Alley_Skywalker ---Oops again, this one technically is not an epic

Well, the last two don't count, so...okay, there are only 6 epics that could qualify written by 3 different authors. I thought there were three more, including a Doctor Who: The Austin Adventures, but that story turned out to be only 26,000 words.

I guess six was not enough to save the category. Either that, or few people are patient enough to sit through an epic, so they don't get the votes needed to get nominated. I think that's more of the case here than anything.

A shout out goes to the few and the bold epic writers here!:D Believe it or not, it's just as hard to write an epic as it is to read one, LOL! I should know, I ended up writing an 80,000 word story this year!
    8-}

If there was a year long challenge here as to who could write the longest story of the year, that would be a good start! LOL

11. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I definitely agree. I would even go as far to say one or two readers - seeing as how most stories in this forum are still doing really good to have three readers per post. [face_thinking]

I think it may tidy things up to make a general 'Best Multi-Post'. :) The epic pickings are still slim (it's kind of like the argument for song-fic and crossover categories) - and this way of putting both of the categories together will result in a nice pool of stories to pick from. :D

Once again, we're definitely open for arguments in any direction, though. ;)

~MJ @};-

12. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    When is our fanfic awards anyway?

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ah, sorry, we probably should have mentioned this! Our nominations start Friday. There'll be a thread in the FFR (and, of course, we'll provide links) with the information. We're keeping that new category list above. Our host this year is SoA. We're really excited!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.