main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I always kind of figured that Nar Shaddaa would've been a lot like Coruscant, if it were under the control of the Hutts. Ergo, the "law of the [urban] jungle" would pretty much be the order of the day; sure there are various enclaves that cater to those from various galactic cultures and spacefaring species (e.g., the "Corellian sector" or the "Duros sector" and others), but those are informal arrangements at best where civil authority does not (and probably cannot) exist. The Smugglers' Moon is a lunar ecumenopolis, after all, located within a planetary and star system that recognizes little to no authority besides that embodied by the many criminal organizations that dwell there.

Gang tattoos are a distinct possibility, possibly a slave tattoo as well (if she was ever in such a state), and the usual allotment of scars one might accumulate during a rough upbringing. A lot of her habits depend on her circumstances growing up; for example, was she fortunate enough to live with one or both of her parents, or was she orphaned at an early age (all too likely, sadly)? Either way, many would be geared toward survival, such as always being armed as finances and circumstances permit, as well as exercising constant situational awareness and threat assessment. Reticence toward trusting folks she doesn't know would also likely be deeply-ingrained, as would a measure of paranoia that would lie a bit on the wrong side of healthy—were she living someplace more civilized, that is.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    Needs a brief description of the story but in the other hand more details about the new characters

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Scroll down from the synopsis for links to character pages.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any suggestions on how to make a character sound cockney? I know Stoker changed 'w':s to 'v':s and dropped the 'h':s at the beginning of words.

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Immersion therapy is the only real way to pick up on accents, especially for writing purposes. Watch a plethora of movies and TV shows that feature Cockney-accented people, and you'll start to get it; British stand-up comedy can be particularly useful for this, if you can find some done by a Cockney.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    You could also make up your own Cockney rhyming slang, along with what it means.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Anakin 99

Feb 27, 2016
    watch mary poppins And learn from the master of cockney accent Himself Dick Van Dyke of course[face_laugh][face_rofl]

Gamiel likes this.
  8. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Mary Poppins' accent is as Cockney as mine, mate. Hers is what as known as "Oxbridge," used by a high-class, well-educated Britisher. :)

9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    But Bert the chimney-sweep, played by Dick Van Dyke, has a Cockney accent...albeit one that would make Eliza Doolittle despair.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Anakin 99

Feb 27, 2016
    I'm not sure you're serious or joking

Dick Van Dyke bert chimney sweep cockney accent not Mary Poppins' accent

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Your grammar and punctuation threw me off; I thought you were referring to the movie and the actor as two separate entities from which to learn.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :p

12. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Eliza Doolittle in Pygmalion/My Fair Lady gets my vote as capturing the spirit and physical qualities of the accent - aitches dropped, vibrant characterization, etc., - plus the whole premise of the work hinges on language. :-B For shorter sessions, the comedy standups ought to do it. :)

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Anakin 99

Feb 27, 2016
    Some writers need to do more research one of the common mistake that always succeed in annoying me reading a story that takes place during or before new hope and the flagship of Darth Vader in the story is the Executor not The Devastator

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions but I am more after spelling examples
    Anakin 99 I think this would better fit in this tread http://boards.theforce.net/threads/fan-fic-pet-peeves.8127925/page-168

15. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Does anyone know how old Wes Janson is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Wookieepedia does not list a birth year under either the Canon or Legends page, so I assume that no official material has ever established his age. The actor who played him in ESB was approximately 30 years old during filming, so if you wanted to, you could use that as a rough idea as to how old Janson is at the Battle of Hoth, and math it out from there.

17. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    There's actually a surprising gap in official birth years listed for members of Rogue Squadron (there's no birth year for Hobbie either). I'd put Janson around the same age as Wedge and Tycho (both born 21 BBY, making him about 24 in ESB). But I've also gone off the age for the actor (when there is one) for a rough estimates before too. So really you could argue whatever age/birth year (between like 21 and 27 BBY) works for the story.

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  18. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Gamiel Ugh. Why would you want to make a Star Wars character sound like a Cockney?

OK, OK, I'll try to be helpful. Dropping the h's at the beginning of words (and g's at the end) is a good start, as in " 'Ow, now, brown, cow." or "What 'ave you been doin'?"

I'm sure I don't need to remind you of this, but spelling out all dialogue phonetically can be infuriating to the reader, so I recommend you don't overdo it. A little touch here and there, plus getting the right attitude for the character, brings it to life.

'Opin' that 'elps! :cool:

Gamiel, Findswoman and Sith-I-5 like this.
  19. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Thanks. I always got the impression he was maybe a couple of years older than Wedge - but then I thought that about Iella too! I think I'll just go with my gut anyway.

I'm on my phone, and have the Wookiepedia app, and it will not show me *anything* from Legends. Which is super annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Anakin 99

Feb 27, 2016
    I need information about Naboo political scene post Endor directly and who from Amidala Handmaidens Still alive and How many of them knew about her marriage`

and who is the Queen

21. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Two questions for anyone who has an interest in such things (in Legends):

First, Who would make a better Supreme Command of the Galactic Alliance Defense Force in the aftermath of Fate of the Jedi (45 ABY): Admiral Bwua'tu or Admiral Darklighter?

I feel that either could be SC. I first thought that Admiral Bwua'tu would be the new SC with Admiral Darklighter serving as the Deputy SC. Now that I think about it, Admiral Darklighter really has the experience to be the SC, having served in all three branches of the military throughout his career (or close to it with the Galactic Marines representing an army-like like unit, although I think they'd be under naval command). I also think Admiral Bwua'tu might turn down the role of SC if he thought Darklighter could do a better job, or if he thought that he could have a more positive and effective impact on the Navy by remaining Chief of Naval Operations, due to his oath of krevi to the GA.

Second, if there was a committee of respected retired flag officers to serve as a "confirmation council" for the new SC, who could be on the council? Currently I have: Admiral Traest Kre'fey (Navy), Admiral Firmus Nantz (Navy), General Tycho Celchu (SFC), General Wedge Antilles (SFC), General Carlist Rieekan (Army), and General Judder Page (Army).

Others I considered: General Han Solo - he would most likely not want to participate in the council, although I think Leia could easily guilt him into it. He doesn't have a ton of military experience but did command the operation on Endor, the fleet against Zsinj, and was selected to command the 5th fleet during Black Fleet Crisis. General Garm Bel Iblis - he might be too old or dead to participate? We haven't heard anything about him since the end of the Vong war. Admiral Adar Tallon - too old? Admiral Aril Nunb - may still be in active service? General Farlander - may still be in active service? Commodore Brand. Etahn A'baht - probably not served long enough in the NRDF to warrant being on the council. Admiral Hiram Drayson - not much is heard of him since before the Vong war.

pronker likes this.
  22. OridgeTridge

OridgeTridge Jedi Knight

Feb 13, 2016
    I had this idea tumbling around in my head for a prequel trilogy rewrite...yes I know that's beating a dead bantha at this point, but there's something irresistible about the concept. Plus its a handy way of sharpening my own conceptualization and worldbuilding skills.

We are all used to the concept that there were Jedi Knights traveling about the galaxy doing their peace-and-justice-protecting thing for many millennia. Then at some point a few of them got real ornery and decided to use their powers in a manner akin to supervillains, calling themselves Sith Lords. I put it to you that a more interesting alternative would be that the Sith were around first, and that the Jedi rebelled against THEM. That there was a time when it was considered normal and prudent to use Force powers for subjugation and oppression, and then along came a rogue sect of peacekeeper knights who took the high road by overthrowing the oppressive Sith and creating the multiplanetary Republic.

How would the Star Wars universe, and the prequels in particular, be different if this were the case?

pronker, Snocone and Katana_Sundancer like this.
  23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    OridgeTridge I've moved your thread into the Fanfic writers desk, as it is more the place for questions that pertain to one specific story as your question does

24. Anakin 99

Feb 27, 2016
    I must say the details you mentioned so far in your post make your idea sound more like a rewrite of the Old Republic Video Game era kotr 1 and kotr 2 and swtor

Everything you described happened Many Many thousands of years, Before the prequels

and You're giving too much credit to the Jedi in creating of Republic.I'm thinking will there still be a Republic, even without Jedi and only Sith

25. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    OridgeTridge The idea has some merit, I guess. I'm thinking about the catalyst, though. If the Sith way keeps individuals happily dominating their little dominions, then there's no force (forgive the pun) to create change. I would suggest some sort of cataclysm needs to occur - perhaps a civil war between Sith that nearly wipes them out - and from the ashes of that conflict a New Way emerges that embraces peace and holding back your emotions. Think about Romulans / Vulcans.

I say this because it seems to me from the movies that once you're on the path of the Dark Side it's pretty consuming. One cannot turn away from it unless one's long lost son turns up and begs you to help him and overthrow your Emperor.

pronker and Sith-I-5 like this.