main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I added legend to the illustration of the Centerpoint Station in the Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune sourcebook and updated an old cut of the station across its vertical axis, in case anybody is interested. The bloody thing is so hard to figure out and the placement of the Hollowpoint still doesn't make much sense, but still.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pronker and Findswoman like this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The top pic is completely different to the bottom one.

Centrepoint isn't ringed by lots of globes/domes, or have any external spheres.

3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The top picture is from a Legends source newer than the bottom one, which contains a total of five pages on the Centerpoint Station and the said picture, as well as one of the interior seen from the North or South Conic Mountains. The Wookieepedia article was never updated and there are no separate articles on any part of the station other than the Glowpoint and the Hollowtown.

So, it's the bottom picture that's very, very basic and outdated.

4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay.

The top one looks like a Separatist globe-ship was used as the basis for a space-station. Much the same way that old Skylab space stations were based around Saturn V rockets.

The bottom design made sense, especially as the text for those novels were based around it.

5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I guess it's not beyond the MeddlingExecutives™ to recycle images, as much as they recycle plots and characters...not at all.

Raissa Baiard likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Absolutely going with this idea with some modifications (f.ex. the whole planet is devided into duchies), now I just need to decide if they dress in something more resembling late 70's/early 80's Rural South U.S.A. fashion or the fashion of the late middle age/early renaissance.
    Fits perfect with an idea I have in my head. Am not fully certain what planet to use for that but I think Gondagali could fit.
    That's some good suggestions, Kebolar is already tidally-locked in my mind. Will see if I how I use the other suggestions.

7. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Tidally-locked planets really have four poles: north, south, "hot" (the part that always faces the sun) and "cold" (the part that always faces away). So the scenario described wouldn't be feasible—think of how Ryloth is blistering hot on one side and absolutely frigid on the other. The Twi'leks live on the surface in a narrow band along the planet's terminator line, with underground dwellings going a bit further out.

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Roon is tidally-locked, too...but with different conditions.

Послато са SM-J500FN уз помоћ Тапатока

Gamiel likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am basing my idea on Adumbria from the Warhammer 40k novel The Traitor's Hand by Sandy Mitchell
    From the lexicanum description:

10. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Here's a strange question for you: is there a drinking age (for humans at least) in the GFFA? Also, how readily accessible would alcohol be on a Rebel base, similar to the one on Yavin?

11. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    I know in Legends Luke referenced sixteen year old Ben as being too young to drink in some/most civilised parts of the galaxy. (Would have to dig out Outcast for the exact quote.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    a) I would say it varies depending on planet and/or culture. If there is a drinking age it is most likely somewhere between 16 and 21.
    b) I would say, once again, it varies depending upon the base; the commander and his staff; the guy creating moonshine and the guy who always smuggle in some liquor.

13. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I'm not sure about a drinking age, although the Solo kids did drank alcoholic drinks during NJO when they were around sixteen. Judging they had acess to it during this war makes me think the rebels had defenetly a stock of it on Yarvin.

14. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_cowboy] Lame question alert: Would an illiterate person be able to use a GPS? LiteratePerson programs the GPS with the destination and hands it to IlliteratePerson for his hiking Quest. IlliteratePerson recognizes numbers but cannot actually read. I haven't used a GPS or seen one used, but it has been explained to me that an arrow goes along a path on the screen. The Quest is not in a car at any time.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Can the GPS be set to give verbal temperature/proximity cues? "Warm. Warmer. Oh now, we're cooking on gas!"

pronker likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In YJK so did Tenel Ka drink Hapan ale, of which we don't know the ABV of. It could be less the 2.25%, alltså rena svagdrickan

17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    In terms of novels, there really isn't much post-RotJ yet. AFAIK it's just Aftermath and Life Debt that take place immediately after RotJ, and Bloodline that takes place a few years before TFA, plus the very end of Lost Stars, that goes up to the battle of Jakku. There's more in terms of comics, short stories etc but I haven't read that stuff yet. I can send you a summary on PM if you tell me which period you're looking into.

whiskers and Sith-I-5 like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To ad to this: on a planet similar to Yavin IV moonshining would probably be rather easy since there is most likely lots of fruits and/or berries to use.

19. pronker

Jan 28, 2007

Hahah! That would be handy!

Stealth mode or not for the Quest? Hmmm, good point. Questor wouldn't want to be found out by The Enemy if the thing were set to verbalize. Right now, the plot twist is that LiteratePerson forgot to tell IlliteratePerson that GPS doesn't work in a cave and IlliteratePerson assumes it does.[face_nail_biting]

As for the original question, it posed "Does a GPS flash or vibrate or indicate quietly somehow that the destination is reached?"[face_batting]

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have only seen car GPS:s being used and they work by showing a simple map of the roads and then shows you what direction and road to follow. If the map is not updated it will tell you to follow roads that are maybe not there or not show newly built roads (driving across newly built highways that the GPS don't know about really confuse it). Also private roads are often not shown since people don't want things like trucks to take what appear like a short cut when using the GPS.

pronker likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Another question for suggestions regarding the Lahara sector : Beside humans, duros and the Horn Station natives, what kind of sentients do people suggest should exist I the sector in notable numbers?

22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I see. Did it ping or flash *non-verbal methods like these* when the destination was reached? And I've heard the horror stories about new roads or outdated information!:(

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It told you to turn when the road split (I have no idea what the correct English term is) and you should take the one of the new paths, if you took the wrong way (or what the GPS thought of as the wrong one) it tells you to turn back or tries to find a new path to follow. It also shows you how far it is to the destination and how long it will take you to get there by your current speed.

pronker likes this.
  24. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Okay, thanks - I'm assuming that when you say 'tell' the voice direction was on and it was off silent mode. Interesting, these tech thingies!!

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes, I don't even know it the one we use have a silent mode.

pronker likes this.