main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I don't know the legal position in the UK, but we don't seem to be that fussed about having those two traditional long and short Samurai swords, katana and wakazashi(?), out on display.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Where those sharp swords or just decorative ones?

Ok, how do it work in New York?

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We had some decorative ones but there were some sharp ones too. There were also fencing foils. My family was a bit strange.

In NY the gun has to have a lock or be in a safe under certain conditions unless being carried by the owner, HERE is an article about it. NY does not make it a crime to not store a gun when a child is in the home. NY does have some of the stricter gun purchasing laws in the U.S.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ok, so would it be acceptable for a person with a collection of sharp weapons to have them on her wall in NY?

5. bango31

bango31 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2016
    Gotcha. Would you be writing from the perspective of the pilot or an outside observer? Regarding the communications, I can ask some people I know for you. My guess is it's similar to how commercial pilots talk to a particular airport, i.e.: "United 454 to LAX," etc., but I can poke around.

This might be a good place to start:

This one, too:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks! It's from the POV of the pilot. The videos that you linked really helped me learn(and remember) some terms (like phraseology) that have really helped direct my research (and now I'm doing endless research on call signs).

Also, I think I just need to watch Top Gun :p (I am fully aware it's going to be Hollywood-ized, but it might help me with some of the terminology... or at least faking the terminology).

bango31 and mavjade like this.
  7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Sorry, that's what you were asking before. My brain is all over the place at the moment.
    It looks like so long as it's on a wall and you aren't walking around carrying a sword, it's legal. I learned that having a cane sword is illegal in NYC, doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I just thought it was interesting. (Also NY state laws and NYC laws tend to differer NYC is way more strict than the state itself, but it appears you can own a sword in all of NY so long as you aren't walking around with it.)

Gamiel likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think that Biggles did some crash landings but I can't recall any books with him that I have read where he did it.

Have you asked in Lit? There is probably people there that can point you at the right directions

Maybe @Sarge have any ideas, I know he likes aeroplanes

9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    In Melbourne, Australia, the police will pull you up if they think you have a small flick knife. Guns are major no-no's, but a knife with the intent of hurting people (they aren't arresting you for your bread knife) gets you in trouble.

But at the weekend outdoor market I go to... Old junk, veges, iPhone accessories... and there's a table of knives. Big nasty, murder people in a slasher movie, kind of knives. Some are for hunting, I suppose, but many are quite decorative. Table is covered with a sheet of plastic, to stop people just picking them up. You have to ask to touch them.
    And all these creepy young guys standing around it, just looking, thinking... fantasizing?
    That's the true scary part of it. The stall is popular. It doesn't sell all that much, but guys love to browse.

Sorry. My irrelevant contribution to this talk of the legality of swords.

pronker likes this.
  10. bango31

bango31 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2016
    Right on, glad those got you started a bit :)

Briannakin likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    One of the walls in my apartment. All sharp, tempered, balanced, and ready for battle.

[​IMG]

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is there any male Chinese name meaning something like Flash, Lightning or Thunderbolt?

13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Just checked 106 names - momjunction.com - and your specific meanings were not available.

Gamiel likes this.
  14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Try maybe something like bright or powerful, perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Leigong is a Chinese thunder god. I don't know if it is commonly used as a given name.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I searched those terms and some similar at behindthename.com and didn't come up with any results for masculine Chinese names.

Can anyone give me a approximate pant size for a man who is a bit taller than average (like 182ish cms) and in fairly good shape (think Air Force lieutenant). Would 34x34 be reasonable? Then what would his pant size be if he lost a decent (25lbs) of muscle? 32x34?

Gamiel likes this.
  17. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    I'm 6ft. which is a bit taller than your request and about 25lbs. larger than I'd like to be. When I was fitter a few years ago, I wore 32x32 but could somewhat fit into 30x32. Now I have a waist size of 36. I think the main muscle changes happen in a man's upper body, so his waist size would not change all that much if he lost muscle mass--only if he gained fat, like I did. [face_pig]

pronker and Briannakin like this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks (182 cms is pretty much 6ft). The loss of muscle is from muscle atrophy due to a spinal chord injury, but I agree and I'm pretty sure not much would change are the waist area. Maybe I'll have him start off at 32x32 and go down to 30x32.

Snocone likes this.
  19. Antaus

Antaus Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 4, 2018
    I was actually thinking of posting my Mushroom World (Mario Brothers) fan fiction in the NSWFF section. Unlike the SWFF I'm working on right now, this one was finished in 2014.

pronker and GregMcP like this.
  20. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    @Sarge
    Hey, why does that suit of armor remind me of Sir Gawain from Monty Python and the Holy Grail???? It looks an AWFUL lot like his suit, right before the rabbit bites his head off!

21. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Quick question: does anyone know what would be the equivalent of a French accent in the GFFA?

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ryloth accent

TheRynJedi, Tarsier and pronker like this.
  23. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^ Yeah, the Twi'leks from TCW were the only examples I remembered (and Vjun, maybe?), but the character I'm asking for is human, so I was hoping there was something more "universal".

Ah, well. Thanks for the answer. [face_coffee]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    There could be a backstory workaround to that, though.

Gamiel likes this.
  25. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Well, I kind of wanted the accent to just be a passing detail when describing the character, not really something that warrants backstory. But thanks for the suggestion. [face_coffee]