main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Gamiel likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions but I was not clear with what I was looking for. As I'm writing the scene now (it might change) do I already have snippets of background dialog and I'm looking how to ad heard advisements/slogans in a way that show that those sentences are not spoken but transmitted by speakers.

Here are some examples of the advisements/slogans I was thinking could be heard:
    - "Aïas: bringing out your inner beauty"
    - "When you want to look professional at work and at home; chose the best; chose Areca-net."
    - "Lak Aust: for a free lifestyle"

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  3. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    What if you put in a line about your character hearing the advertisements, and then write them in a different font or color that you don't use for anything else?

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    One of your protagonists can cock their ear, or perk up their ears, or act interested in one of the messages:

"Whoa whoa whoa, what was that about inner beauty?"

"Lord Vader?"

"Obviously it goes without saying, if you tell anyone about this, I will Force Choke you out of existence."

Snocone likes this.
  5. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    Something I wrote in my Episode II novel is, "Holoboards, in their bright neons and sanguine-faced displays, attempted to convince him to purchase all the vital retail items he needed to be happy and complete." - no actual advert phrasing, but I let the reader fill that in for themselves.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It seems I'm was still not clear, I think the problem can be that when I said "background dialog" I did not mean that the characters was having a dialog but that there would be short snippets of dialog, with no reference to who said it. Here is a part of it:

The square was filled with people and languages seemingly from all over the galaxy: a group of Satiar Mandalorains, bearing the marks of pilgrims returning from Jedha, was drinking tea outside a ‘The Lotus Dragon’ teahouse; a trandoshan in the green-blue colours of Alpharius Trading, flanked by kaleesh bodyguards in the same colour; –
    “...that rumor, too. Poor siths.”
    “Yes, you're right, Ugarte. I am a little...”
    – A Yam'rii lady, her identity hidden by layers of embroidered silk and perfume, guarded by two whiphid spearcatchers and a chadra-fan threat-detector;
    ./.

This scene is a bit of a writing experiment for me and based on the how people have responded do I think I move the background dialog parts to a later paragraph/s, after I have given a visual overview

8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ohhhhh.

Well, I use bold text and no quotation marks to denote spoken words that have come over a personal address (PA) system, or ship-wide AI.

ALL HANDS

Yav stopped what he was doing, and stopped to listen.

WE WILL BE REVERTING TO REAL SPACE AT BERROLL DONN IN FIVE MINUTES.

Edit: PS.

Traumatised, and covered in dirt?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Gamiel likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Heh.

The story takes place in around YJK-era so probably not the traumatised part but maybe covered in dirt. I have not really decide on what the "marks of pilgrims returning from Jedha" so maybe it's being covered by the dust of Jediha

10. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Snocone, divapilot, pronker and 2 others like this.
  11. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Pilgrimages make me think that returnees would be uplifted in some way, perhaps showing in their demeanor a purer outlook on life, or sense of renewal. The marks might be more internal than external, with external ones coming into the description merely in passing.

GregMcP and Gamiel like this.
  12. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Random question: the glowy rectangle boarder thing around the hangar bay doors of docking bay 327 (and as seen in other space ships that have facilities for launching smaller ships).
    I know it's used for keeping atmosphere inside the ship/satellite etc. But what is it called?
    Is that the magnetic field? Or is it called something else? Haven't been able to find a definitive answer so far...

pronker and Findswoman like this.
  13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi, @darthhelinith! Long time no see—great to have you back! :)

I don't know of an "official" name for that glowing rectangular border, but I think people would understand what was meant if you referred to it as a forcefield or forcefield generator or something along those lines. Hope that helps!

pronker and darthhelinith like this.
  14. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Boy, it's been a long time since reading ANH, but I think you're on track because "magnetic forcefield" rings a bell ... [face_blush]

Findswoman likes this.
  15. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    Good to know!
    And it's good to be back @Findswoman, you'll be pleased to know i'm working on another Helinith fic.

Does anyone else prefer to write their stories from beginning to end rather than publishing a chapter at a time?
    I used to publish a chapter at a time on the old boards (about ten years ago!), but tried writing from beginning to end last year and found it more helpful as i wrote about 50% then made major revisions to make the plot more coherent.
    I'm at the same stage with my current story.

16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Hi @darthhelinith - I call that, "atmospheric containment field / shield" or "magnetic containment field / shield", usually the former, as having characters work in the hangar without suffocating is more important to me, than letting ships in or out.

If I'm writing without posting, I will try to just get as far as I can before stalling.

pronker likes this.
  17. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    Thanks Sithly, that's super helpful. I might have to shorten it or edit my sentences though, the name was longer than I was expecting.

I was trying to write more this morning, sometimes I just have to force myself to power through and work on a bit that I know needs major revisions as that's easier than continuing from where I left off. I didn't get a whole load done, but its better than where it was.

However, now I'm report writing. 1 finished, 31 to go. (Or if you count the 3 different sections on each report, 28/93- I prefer to work on one subject at a time). I'm also part way through rewriting a school policy document due the middle of June *urgh* Thankfully I was able to find a template online but still...

18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh! Just remembered: magcon. Short enough for ya?

Edit: I'm trying to write a role-playing post for a game set in Los Angeles, and I want to get that done during the weekend.
    I've got a TripAdvisor page open for a randomly-chosen motel in L.A., for when my characters get there, but I keep being distracted by reading background data for a completely separate Imperial-based game.

So, are you a teacher, or school administrator / secretary?

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    pronker and darthhelinith like this.
  19. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    Perfect.

pronker likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You already have a good answer but I just want to say that if you have any kind of technology questions so is probably the Lit. part of the forum the best place to ask, there are many people there that are into the technological lore of the spaceships and SW overall.

pronker likes this.
  21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    A little help please...

Can anyone tell me what a flashlight/torch would be called in the GFFA?

22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Glowrod? Wookeepedia lists like 8 other names: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Glowrod/Legends

Findswoman and brodiew like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Should a historical theater play based on the Cloud City part of ESB be called The Tragedy on Cloud City or The Tragedy in Cloud City ?

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm looking for a droid to function as a characters carrier = as in carrying all the characters luggage and equipment. Any suggestions?

It's a plus if the droid is multi-limbed

25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    On sounds best to my American English ear. :)

Gamiel likes this.