main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    'Last shadow'
    'Not the face. Not the face."
    'Patient hunter'
    'Stalker'
    'Maneater'
    'Hidden Paw'
    'Red in tooth and claw'
    'Macavity'
    'Burning bright'
    'Fearful symmetry'

2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Treacherous Talon (my cat killed a squirrel this week:()

In a more generous mood, maybe Talented Talon.

gizkaspice and Tarsier like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How is killing a squirrel treacherous?

pronker likes this.
  4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    It was pretty treacherous to the squirrel...

pronker likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    only if they were in some kind of alliance or agreement

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi all. I wonder if anyone might have any suggestions or recommendations for techniques that a senior Force adept (from any tradition) might use to assess the Force sensitivity of a youngling? Whether from profic, fanfic, or just off the top of your own head? ;) If it helps, I'm looking for something more along the lines of "mystical brain scan" than "identify the face-down cards" or "try to lift this cookie jar using only your mind." Thanks much! :)

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Going by Qui-Gon Jinn: a blood test.
    Using the right blood test tech of course.

I have heard that Luke used a kind of mind probe on people he suspected to be Force sensitive and the ones who where had an extra layer of instinctive defence against that, or something similar.

In YJK so did the Brakiss' people use and "aura reader" of some kind to see if possible recruits were notably Force sensitive.

Also, what age of youngling are we talkning?

Findswoman likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    'Nothing is left but a grin'
    'Catenary'
    'No canary' [canary can be exchanged for some other prey]
    'Remember Ulthar'
    'The Law of Ulthar'
    'Kuro'

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    gizkaspice likes this.
  9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks! Those second two things seem along the right lines. (I was personally never totally on board with the midichlorians business, so I think I won't go the blood test route, if that's all right.) The youngling in question is about 12 or equivalent and has been not only having visions but semi-involuntarily producing a kind of Force lightning-type stuff.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Are we talking about finding out how strong the youngling is in the Force instead of if just finding out that he is strong in the Force?

pronker likes this.
  11. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Both; I think that those two things would pretty much have to go together (plus, it’s a she ;) ).

pronker and Gamiel like this.
  12. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    It was treacherous to me because this is what my backyard is supposed to be
    [​IMG] and the animals who visit like the squirrel are supposed to get along with the inhabitants like Willow The Killer. Finding squirrel bits isn't part of this Peaceable Kingdom. Willow and Poonelo get fed daily.

Exeter, Snocone, Tarsier and 3 others like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    * the youngling go through a long line of tests that are both mental and physical and are quickly after each other. The idea is after a time you lose your sense of self and how you do on the final tests are supposed to show how intone with the Force you are.

* her blood is mixed with other prepared in a process - that could be advanced enough to need an alchemy lab or as simple that only kitchen equipment is needed - and depending on how the mix turn out show how strong in the Force she is

* she is put to work with something that's important for the Force tradition with little rest, the idea is that she is supposed to get into trance while doing the work and how she dose the work while in trance is supposed to show how powerful she is.

Instead you got nature, red in tooth and claw.

Findswoman likes this.
  14. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    In my Peaceable Kingdom, every beast is a Jain.

gizkaspice and Findswoman like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A French musician and singer-songwriter?

Or we talking about some other kind of Jain?

16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
  17. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    This is what first came to mind to me. This page has some information on various ways of Force detection (at the top and two-thirds of the way down), including this:
    Luke and his twin sister Leia Organa Solo were doing some tests on the inner defenses of her brain. Luke was using the Force to access certain areas of the brain; as he accessed an area in the very back of the brain, he was rebuffed. They confirmed this to be a natural reflex of the Force-sensitive.

Exeter, Gamiel, pronker and 2 others like this.
  18. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    I'm similarly not a fan of midichlorians, nor am I a fan of the "ship/cup/speeder" bit in the Temple in Episode I. Of course, I interpret the Force to be the energy field that surrounds and binds everything together per Yoda—so if someone is particularly strong in the Force, I would think a Force adept would be able to feel this aberration pretty plainly. The Jedi in my story feel a Force "aura" emanating from Anakin because he's so strong in it. The actual test he performs once he's at the Temple is to move water flowing in a fountain using the Force. I wanted it to have a resemblance to Luke lifting (or failing to lift) his X-Wing out of the Dagobah swamp. I'll refer you to my story to find out the outcome ;)

pronker and Findswoman like this.
  19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much for the input, everyone! I think the route I end up going might be closest to this:

combined with some of this:

I may even try it with multiple people performing the test—still have to work on the specifics—but this gives me some good things to work with, so thank you all! :)

pronker and Tarsier like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I should say, since I feel that I was a bit unclear, that the "aura reader" is a machine, not a technique (which the Wook' inform me is called Force detector).

21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ah, OK, good to know. I guess I might do a sort of technique version of this, then, performed by a group of adepts. Thanks!

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or maybe have some kind of artefact that do it, like a crystal that glow if handled by a living being, the strong the glow the stronger the being is in the Force.

23. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    This sounds like Qui-Gon's birthday gift to Obi-Wan early in the Jedi Apprentice series by Watson.:p

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Did not know that.

pronker likes this.
  25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Ah, Legends, my old friend ... =D= Yes, it was a rock that glowed with the Force but not to everyone. Qui-Gon messed with Obi-Wan and told him "Oh I thought it was just a pretty rock" when Obes thanked him effusively for it rather than the fancy set of robes he was hoping for at the beginning of the book. Obi-Wan passed it along to Anakin and now I'm wondering what became of it ... :( in the Watsonverse, that is. :D