main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I have a scene that I’ve written that is meant to be intense and emotionally charged.
    However, I worry that it will come across as comical.

would anybody like to see my excerpt and judge?

2. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    That scene is published. Itll do, I guess.

It’s tradition for the middle installment of a SW trilogy to focus on romance, but I don’t think I did a good job. They don’t get together in this one, but I meant for the sparks to be there.

Im also writing the climactic lightsaber duel. And I worry that it’s too fast paced and not emotional enough. It’s hard to write that and a space battle that transition back and forth.

I also wonder if I left enough room between action scenes for character fleshing- I wanted my version of Episode VIII to be the second darkest after ROTS, but I feel like I may have written one too many action scenes.

pronker likes this.
  3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I have a few questions regarding Chiss society and marriage. This is for my story “Fate, So Beautifully” and in an upcoming chapter, Thrawn takes Jaina to Csilla to present her as his betrothed. This story is a mix of Legends and canon. Here are my questions:

Does Thrawn’s adoptive mother have a name?
    Chiss marriage traditions, would there be a presentation like Rose had in Downtown Abbey?
    Would Vader be her chaperone? Reactions?
    House Mitth colors?
    Did Grieg or Sibelius ever write waltzes?

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Question for those more familiar with the 5+1 format: could I write something like “5 things (A character) wanted for their wedding and one thing (B character) wanted for their wedding” and still be in the spirit of the format?

pronker likes this.
  5. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Does it leave a bad message to have the moisture farmers and Tuskens team up and explain both sides of their rivalry when the Tuskens have been portrayed as nothing short of brutish?

One of my characters, just like her Legends namesake, comes from Tusken heritage and will help unite the Tuskens with the other Tatooine residents to fight the invading crime syndicate

pronker and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  6. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    I feel like the latest episodes from the Book of Boba Fett has demonstrated that Tusken Raiders are not just brutes. Boba was able to be accepted as one of their own and he developed a bond with them such that he was able to help them stop the Pykes' train. Also, a common enemy has the potential to unite even the greatest of foes. So no, I don't think it leaves a bad message to have moisture farmers and Tuskens team up if the right person is bringing them together.

7. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    This feels right to me. In looking for ~precedence, I discovered on AO3 a blurb from Defenders/Daredevil/MCU fandom: "aka, 5 times Foggy got called down to the police station in the middle of the night, and the 1 time someone was called for him." which places Foggy firmly in the characterization focus. The focus is on A/B's Wedding, which can be a character in itself. Debate welcomed! :D

Briannakin likes this.
  8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks! I’m like halfway finished this fic… even though the due date isn’t for close to another 3 months. I’m not totally happy with how the fic has turned out (it kinda went to a much more sentimental route when I was going for A character’s slow decent into Groomzilla), so I’m going to have something to post, but I also got time to rethink. I like the format and want to do more with it, but my muse struggles with the premise for some reason.

pronker likes this.
  9. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Do you guys think that opening crawls are better when they focus more on the broad scope of what is happening, or the immediate situation ?

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  10. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    So recently I posted a long essay about entertaining the idea of making Jar Jar Binks force sensitive and giving him a special ability that allows him to manipulate the Force itself to control events to go in his favor as a form of luck manipulation, which would explain the sheer amount of dumb luck instances Jar Jar finds himself in. This would be a rare and inherited power like psychometry. My question is if Jar Jar were to have this kind of power, who would teach him to control it?

I would not have Palpatine teach Jar Jar because he already had Maul as an apprentice and Gungan society was separate from the Naboo until Phantom Menace. The Jedi Order would not take Jar Jar in because the Gungan cities were hidden from the outside world and they did not allow outsiders in until Phantom Menace. What if there was someone in the forest that Jar Jar met after he was banished that would teach him to use the Force? But who would this person be and where would he come from?

pronker and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I like your questions a great deal! I wish I had answers. A random Jar-Jar thought is that the sculpted "gods" in the forest scene are responsible, through visions or actual "physical" presence. *ponders*

12. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    So I took your advice and looked up the Naboo Elders, who were theorized to be Force sensitive in legends. The thing is it is said they all left Naboo a long time ago so I was wondering how to set things up so that there was one left on Naboo to teach Jar Jar. It is stated that the Elders left thousands of years before Episode 1, so how could there be one still alive on Naboo? Is there a Force ability that allows one to put themselves in a comatose stasis that enables them to live for long periods of time until awaken or something?

pronker likes this.
  13. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Sounds good to me! Perhaps hibernation, or a simulacrum similar to "Please state the nature of your medical emergency" Doctor from Voyager (Star Trek)? Maybe a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man who is a primal force not from The Force, or the time span is so great it's forgotten it /is/ from the Force, who guides Jar-Jar anyway? *half-baked idea about amnesia*

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm thinkering with a DUNE AU fanfic and was thinking about what cultural quirks to give Atreides, and since it's mentioned on the fanwiki that they are supposedly descendants from people from Greece was I wondering if peole have some suggestions on modern-era Greek cultural quirks that I maybe could use? (if you have non-Greek based suggestions so will I take them also)

-------------------------------

I can't say regarding canon but didn't @Chyntuck do some fanon-stuff for the Chiss and Thrawn? Maybe she has some ideas.

There are many lesser Force traditions, you could use of the canon one, pic one form The Fanon Thread, or creat your own (if you do, you could post it in the fanon thread for others to use). I can easily see a the gungans having a simple Force tradition of their own.

I would see it as just doing something similar to what old west movies did with there being Native tribes you were allied with and native tribes you fought. So no bad message. Maybe have somebody in story point out that there are tribal differences

Emperor Ferus, Chyntuck and pronker like this.
  15. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    @Gamiel That helps to know. I'm planning for the moisture farmers to be like "colonizers", with the Tuskens having gone a little far seeking revenge for being driven from settlements.

Also, would somebody maybe want to read my first chapter, to see if my introduction to a certain former Sith Lord is too anticlimactic?

16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Also- I’m worried I’ve set up too many threads to follow already- my protagonist visiting the new/old anti-villain character, the three Jedi including Luke hiding out while trying to do their jo, the Republic vs the Coalition, and the main antagonist’s quest

17. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    Well just a thought, Game of Thrones was all over the place with different characters in different places with their own stories. Over time, the different characters' stories crossed paths with each other and merged with all the stories coming together at the very end. So I don't think its bad to have too many threads to follow if you eventually bring them together at some point.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  19. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    edited for posting question in wrong thread.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    So I’m writing a Rebels AU where the crew visits a planet with a Clone Wars era Star Destroyer that’s a spaceport/settlement for a race so they can meet up with someone that can hook the Rebellion up with weapons/a weapons shipment.

My looming questions are

One: should this be before or after Kanan is blinded?

Two is Reklawyks too obvious and should I do Reklaw instead? ‘Reklawyks’ is ‘Skywalker’ spelled backwards and one of Anakin Skywalker’s aliases.

Three: should Bail know that Anakin invited the Ghost Crew/a Rebel Cell to come and get a weapons shipment under another alias or should he only know the alias that Anakin uses as his civilian identity?

I’m leaning towards he doesn’t know as it’s another layer protection for everyone and that he didn’t send them as like half of the people living and working there are Younglings that Anakin rescued from the Temple and it seems cruel that he wouldn’t advise them to not bring Rex or keep him on the ship.

Having people that Kanan might recognize is another reason why I’m on the fence about exactly when it takes place.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I got an idea while reading Xiran Jay Zhao's Iron Widow about a planet culturally inspired by classical, misogyny China that overall don't have that much contact with the rest of the galaxy (or the rulers don't allow much information about how peopel outside lives) that have requested military help from the Republic/similar. The problem is that there had not been any communication about the natives misogyny worldview and the sent forces (at least the one/s we follow) are led by a woman (and have many female grunts). My question is, how should they guy that are meeting and greeting the officers when they first arrives react to finding out that the leader is a woman?

22. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Depends I guess. If they really need that aid they might be willing to swallow that fact and try to keep up at least some basic courtesy. Would at least be not as clicheed as instantly breaking into misogynistic comments...
    Also given how the Republic is apparently totally cool with the mysogyny on worlds like Ryloth, as well as misandrism on places like Kuat, I think they might overlook it on their end as well.

23. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I was trying to insert a reference about Tosche Station before I have to kill the character who the joke is most relevant to- but I guess the story should come before references.

I have yet to introduce one of my most important elements in the story- the Force planet from The Clone Wars- I need to find a way for the characters to find out about it and get there so that the final duel can take place= and I'm about 65-70 minutes worth of movie runtime into the story already.

My main villain's new frenemy knows about the Force planet and has been there, but he doesn't have a reason to tell the villain about it, since he doesn't really want the villain to win or to gain the knowledge the frenemy/morally ambiguous character has.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  24. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Ouch- okay.

On a related note- I am having to find an alternate freighter transport that will deliver an army of undead Sith to battle- the most logical freighter class happens to have a name similar to that of a person I know IRL who doesn’t give me happy thoughts- so I need to find a similarly purposed freighter.

25. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    What time period are you working in? Something like an Action VI transport or some version of a Loronar transport might work, but I'm not sure whether the timeframe is right.

A general question for anyone... I was putzing with a WIP fic involving a GFFA sport. This particular sport is home-brewed but the details aren't relevant, so let's go with something like grav-ball as an example. Do you think a grav-ball team would be "mixed" in terms of species? In other words, would an Ewok and a human and a Herglic all be able to play on the same team if they wanted to? Or would the sport try to have similar species play each other in different leagues? In cultures that have developed without the single-species, human-centric bias like we have on Earth, would the sports include all species by default and become more about strategy and optimizing different team members' strengths and weaknesses regardless of if said strength or weakness is species-related or individual? Would the rules of a sport take that into account and have the sports naturally develop that way instead of being Earth's version of "human competing against human"? Or not?

Also, would the era make a difference? Would there be a bigger chance for sports to potentially change and become segregated between species during the OT/Galactic Civil War era due to the Empire's influence versus, say, the PT era?

Pod-racing is mixed species, but there's a technological aspect to it as well that makes it harder for me to extrapolate it to GFFA sports that don't have that aspect. Any thoughts/comments?

Kahara and Emperor Ferus like this.