main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999

I use "Madame" for lack of anything better.

I hate that they use "Master" to mean "Mister." The first time I read that, it was in either Allegiance or Choices of One and someone called Luke "Master Skywalker." I was very confused. [face_laugh]

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Me too. It's confusing. "Master" should only be used by droids, Jedi, students of a sensei, household servants, and lovers in the thralls of some very kinky roleplay.

Viridian-Maiden and Chyntuck like this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    "Sir" is used as a term of military address in the various video games, so there's no reason why it couldn't be a polite address for a civilian, too. Call me someone old-fashioned who's spent too much time reading Emily Post, but when I hear "Master" plus a last name addressed to anyone other than anyone in the categories mentioned above by TrakNar, it gives me the impression that the person being addressed is a little boy circa 1890 or so. :D

jcgoble3 likes this.
  4. Ink.Knight

Ink.Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    So I'm thinking of renaming the Jaegers as Jedi and the pilots/Rangers as Knights. The Kaiju will, as suggested, remain Kaiju. Does that sound alright or is it too...I dunno the word but not-right?

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It sounds right to me. It also sounds exciting. I can't wait for giant robot action!

Ink.Knight likes this.
  6. Ink.Knight

Ink.Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    I'm wondering where I should post if I wanna look for a Beta? I'd love to have someone to toss some ideas around with regarding my AU story, just because it's mostly disjointed scenes at the moment rather than a single inter-connecting plot.

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    There's this thread: http://boards.theforce.net/index.php?threads/22308091/

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do you mean with godparents? What kind of role should one have?

And? There are many religions in GFFA so it shuld not be unusual to see words with religious connotation.

This may help
    You could use the persons occupation as a form adress, like old electrician Whatever.

Also: unlike some other here so have I no problem with the use of master as a normal adress to males
    That is 'young master' if it is a little boy or really anybody under the later twenties who is not a professional to my understanding

9. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    And? While there are many religions in the GFFA, as far as I know Christianity is not one of them.

Any particular reason you are so combative? JadeLotus doesn't want to use the term "godparents" because she feels that it is an Earth-ism. Many others have agreed. Let's find her another term.

JadeLotus likes this.
  10. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005

I seem to remember divapilot once using the term 'hold-parents'. I'm not sure if she made that up, but I liked it.

ETA: Apparently 'hold-parent' is from The Crystal Star.

JadeLotus likes this.
  11. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I gave some more thought to JadeLotus 's question about godparents (it really is a good question!) and I think it boils down to what you intend the person's role to be. For instance I chose "namegiver" because in my story having a name and being given a name are important themes. If you mean someone who plays a role in the religious/ethical education of the child, then Goodwood 's suggestion, "mentor-parent" (or equivalent), sounds good. If you mean someone who will take responsibility for the child if something were to happen to the parents, or someone whose role is to protect the child, something based on "guardian" or "hold-parent" as ginchy said would be better. I don't know if you're referencing some specific real-world culture behind the concept, if you are maybe you can borrow a word from that language to make something up?

JadeLotus and Gamiel like this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't mean to appear combative, I am just trying to discus if it is really needed to create a new word for godparent. A role similar to our - I think we have similar concepts of godparent - idea of godparent could have had a religious origin in GFFA and just because the 'god' part in godparent don't mean the Hebrew god don't mean it can refer to another god, goddess or gods.

13. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    And here's the Wookieepedia article on that term. Not much information on it, but it definitely sounds like the equivalent of a godparent.

JadeLotus likes this.
  14. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005

I think that was actually Jade_Pilot who wrote that. She did a story where my OCs were godparents to L/M's little skycrawler. Darned if I can remember the title though.

ginchy likes this.
  15. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Thanks everyone! I think "hold-parent" was what I was thinking of but couldn't remember. Maybe because I've blocked most of Crystal Star from my memory :p

16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Back to the topic of avatar/character generators...

I just spent part of my morning on the Autodesk Character Generator and the options it offers are simply fabulous to create a very realistic-looking, 3D mugshot of a character. I mean, check out the pic below compared to a portrait created with a standard online avatar generator:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The downside of Autodesk is that I'm still trying to figure out how to insert that bloody yellow face marking with Photoshop or tweak it in any other way, and for all my bragging earlier in this thread it seems I won't figure it out on my own. Also, if you want anything more than a mugshot, you need to go into 3D character animation and all sorts of technical stuff (which is also a paying service, btw.)

Buuuut... I found an open source tool for making 3D characters called MakeHuman that looks promising. It doesn't offer quite as many options as Autodesk (e.g. eye shapes and hairstyles are pretty limited) but after a first look it comes across as quite intuitive and easy to use. I'm mostly useless with technology other than Microsoft Word, so if I'm telling you that it's easy to use, it probably is, and the user manual seems to have been written for dummies like me :p

I hope this will be useful :)

17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Very cool, Chyntuck. Looks like you're off to an excellent start with A. E. (I presume that's who that is). :cool:

So, could someone please remind me of the GFFA equivalent of "backwoods" or "backwater" (e.g., to describe a remote or obscure planet)? I'm pretty sure it's also "back-something," and I know I've seen it in stories here, but it's not coming to me at the moment. Thanks!

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Findswoman "Backrocket" seems to be the preferred term. "Outlier" seems to be a less-used, possibly localized alternative.

19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Wookieepedia typically just uses "backwater". No one has contested that that is an out-of-universe term (which isn't allowed in in-universe articles), so I'd just use it. Not everything has to have a different term in the GFFA. :)

Gamiel likes this.
  20. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I've seen "backrocket" in narrative licensed material, though.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Interesting. I didn't know that. :)

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I think Han Solo also calls it "the back end of space" :p

gracesonnet likes this.
  23. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I kind of like "backrocket," lol. It has a WEG feel.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    "Backrocket" was indeed the word I was thinking of. Thanks, everyone! :)

25. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    That avatar is amazing!!

Chyntuck likes this.