main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey guys. I need a purposefully stupid/obvious name for a device that transports someone to another reality. I though about Reality Transporter, but that makes it sound like the reality is being transported, not the person.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    How about TARDIS?

3. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Reality Transference System
    Quantum Displacement Transporter
    Multiversal Transporter
    Reality to Reality Teleporter
    Universe Tunneler
    Multiversal Probability Transporter

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Here's another, in two parts:

1. Is there a Force technique (and I imagne it would be Dark Side technique) that can be used to drain a Force power from someone and/or transfers it to oneself?

2. Can anyone suggest some nice rare Force powers, of the sort that a covetous Dark Sider might want for himself? One of the ones that first came to my mind was Battle Meditation à la Bastila Shan, but now that I look on the Wook it looks like that may not be quite as rare as I thought.

Thanks! I'm just getting my feet wet on these canonical Force abilities, so any advice would be much appreciated.

5. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Some Transporter Thingamajig. :p [/unhelpful]

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hehe! Actually, I think I like that one the best. It totally fits. Thanks.

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Findswoman Well, there is a neutral ability called Sever Force, which was used by Nomi Sunrider to sever Ulic Qel-Droma's connection to the Force, and was attempted by the three Masters of the Jedi Council on Meetra Surik (the Jedi Exile), but they were interrupted by Kreia. I don't think there's a canonical power that lets its user "steal one's talents" as it were, only to leech a victim's Force essence to heal/strengthen oneself (Drain Life is one example). So far as I can tell, to know a Force power you have to learn it from scratch or, if it's innate, to train that natural ability.

Findswoman likes this.
  8. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    WHAT, LOLZ. Alrighty then! [face_rofl]

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't think this is what you are looking for but may be of interest Drain Knowledge, Force drain, Sever Force, Mind-witch, Volfe Karkko,

What kind of dark sider are we talking about here? After all what is common knowledge for a sith is not unlikely something unknown or hihgly priced for a findsman, glom druid, Dathomir witch or even jedi gone dark. The same goes for a prophet of the dark side, sorcerer of Rhand or blazing chain member.

Findswoman and Goodwood like this.
  10. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Drain Knowledge would theoretically allow a dark sider to strip the intellectual knowledge of how a force techique works from a victim. Being able to actually conduct the technique would require practice however, but theoretically possible so long as it didn't require some sort of special gift.

Drain and Deadly Sight are too that would be interesting to see in a prose format, they're usually only portrayed in games... and I think Deadly Sight only has one known user. Drain could go hand in hand with the Drain Knowledge ability to give the character a form of theme. I get a feeling that Drain is probably far more violent then most people realize as it's almost like a rape of someone's force signature.

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know of any planets in the post Jedi Academy era that are caught up in a civil war?

12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks for weighing in on the force abilities, folks. :) Something like Force Drain or Drain Knowledge sounds it might be what I'm looking for; I just would have to come up either (a) the exact knowledge being drained (which might ultimately be in the realm of McGuffindom) or (b) a good reason why the darksider in my story (who is just going be a canonical and very familiar Sith Lord ;) ) would want to drain the Force signature of this particular OC of mine.

Another possibility: if I gave the OC some very rare Force power or other, the Very Familiar Sith Lord would want to track down the OC in order to capture the OC and force the OC to use that power on command. Or some such.

Anyway, thanks again. This gives me some possibilities to play around with. :D

13. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012

Not off the top of my head... you could easily make one up if you wanted to... I think the Sepan Civil War restarted at some point as well.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The Sepan Civil War is a bit to large for what I am looking for, and I have begun to try not to come up with new planets when old can work. So maybe I should use on of those planet that only have a name and a minimal description, do people know any one like that that I can use?

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Beside the talz, what sentient species do we know of that are highly suited to cold weather?

16. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Whiphids.

17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I was going to suggest them as well, since they're from an ice planet as I recall.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, I should have thought of them since I did some research on them some time ago.

Is there any other species?

19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I seem to remember the Aqualish finding the planet Ando to be quite nice to live on despite its rather...chilly...environment. Might want to check on that though.

20. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Does anyone remember what the correct form of verbal address to the Emperor is? I think that Luke uses "Your Highness" in ROTJ, is that the most common form in the EU as well?

21. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I believe it is for those that aren't under his tutelage. A lot of his direct underlings would call him Master... like the Hands, Vader, and Dark Side Elite.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Was planning to have some characters be dressed in uniform similar to the once seen among soldiers in WWI but can right now not think of how to describe them. Any sugestions?

Also have anybody come up with any personal cultural points regarding talz, whipids and/or gamorreans? Fort examples regarding clothes, music, food, architecture, entertainment, etc.

Insects who have evolved to live in sub-zero climate; they live around hot springs and similar (I recommend going through the BBC series Planet Earth and Life for some inspiration); they are actually being farmed inside greenhouse farms; they live deep underground were it is not to cold for them

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Um...the uniforms of which participant nation? Generally-speaking, such uniforms might be referred to as "khakis" by the British and Commonwealth forces, though not formally, and I have no idea what other nations might've called them. American servicemen of a certain period might use the term "dungarees," but that's a wholly separate matter.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was thinking of something along this line
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What would be the SW equivalence of: 'he was a bear of a man'?