main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    No, that just shows you're logical. :p[face_laugh]

Chyntuck likes this.
  2. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    gracesonnet likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But for all we know that there was only one or two longlived chancellor/s between 1400 BBY and 1000 BBY:p

Kahara likes this.
  4. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Possible, although I think the whole "elected for life" thing was Palpatine's little project. ;)

Findswoman and gracesonnet like this.
  5. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    It could have been a Jedi from a species with a reeally long lifespan who just kept getting elected over and over.

Kahara and gracesonnet like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Do anybody know what those shirtless sleeves that the guy, A****aka, have are called?

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am right now redesigning the Kilian Ranger Force tradition and the culture, Kilian, that spawned them. The reason for this is that I like the concept with Kilian – lost colony on a preindustrial technological level protected by Force trained sheriffs armed with antique blasters – but found the execution lacking.

My version of Kilia have a technological level that is overall comparable to around just the beginning of the industrial revolution with some notable differences, f.ex. a lack of gunpowder weapons.
    They climate were humans live is resemble South African’s highland plateau and people go dressed in Maasai stile clothes with straw hats, a cape (usually waist to knee length) added in cold weather, a grass cape in rain time. Sandals are the usual foot wear, with socks put on when it gets colder.

The Kilian Rangers are the protectors of Kilian society, trained in the use of the Force and armed with siang lances, modified, antique carbines with a long built in bayonet.
    The original version of the ‘rangers also had a small force field shield but I decided to not keep it.
    My version of the ‘rangers are more range weapon using Kai lords then Jedi knights and lack many of the skill, techniques and abilities we see among the Jedi.
    They ride on banthas and are, beside the siang lances armed with a short sword as a side arm.

Most of their enemies are wild animals and outlaws armed with swords, axes, spear, farm weapons and bows and arrows.

What I want help with is designing their armour, the only thing I know is that I don’t want full plate armour. So any suggestions?

8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Chain mail looks fantastic, but it may be beyond their metalworking skills - how about Viking armor, like hardened leather and quilted cloth?[face_thinking]

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would say that chainmail would be within metalworking skills, it would probably more be a question of price, but since we are dealing with the kilian elite so is not money a problem.
    Maybe a knee or foot long chainmail "shirt" with a split in the front and back to make it easier to ride with the normal “Maasai” clothes above to differ it from the “Norman-look”. But there need to be a different kind of helmet or headgear then a Norman one or the association would still quickly go to them.

EDIT: also have people seen this thread http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...e-operation-you-may-fire-when-ready.50024318/ ?

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Arm sleeves.

Brassards also came up in my search, but those tend to be an accessory. Everything else that came up, including A****aka's garment, were called simply "arm sleeves."

Gamiel likes this.
  11. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    That's true about the Maasai because when envisioning them, I think long red-orange robes, not the thing to ride any beast in.

12. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    Um... In my experience with womens' fashion, a garment of disembodied sleeves is called a shrug. (Which is what I'm doing upon mentioning it—shrugging.)

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have seen some of those robes in a more short tunica length.

I was planning to have the rangers, and other people who ride, like the barons, to have hose to protect their legs. One thing I have decided is that they, the kilian, don't have garments with sleeves, instead poeple like the rangers who need cloth on their arms (have you tried to wear chainmail on bare skin?) use arm sleeves, like A****aka above.

So one layer under garment (in which hose and arm sleeves are counted), chainmail and above that finer “Maasai” clothes and weapon belt. Maybe an extra layer of some kind of leather armour for some rangers/barons or in time of conflict.

I need a helmet, or at least some kind of headgear to top this. Any suggestions?
    Normal people use straw hats.

14. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    This is probably been probed to death in these forums but I'll ask anyway: is there any free will in Star Wars or is everyone merely a pawn of the Force?

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes

16. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    By which he means that both exist, but each depends on the "certain point of view" axiom.

Gamiel likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any people using the Force, psychic powers or similar to start fire in SW?

18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I imagine Force lightning could have an incendiary effect if aimed at the right materials. Indeed, in the Wook article, it's stated that a clone of Galen Marek "was able to set stormtrooper armor on fire with the power."

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Using Force lightning to start fire is not really what I am looking for, I was hoping for something more like ElfQuest's fire starting.

20. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Ehhh...dunno if you'd count or discount what young twins Jaina and Jacen did in The Crystal Star - I think they used the Force to create friction with air molecules to make glowing particles, or something like that. If little kids could manage that, imagine a mature and powerful Force-user.

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner! Findswoman was correct, fanfic has an unlimited edit time, so you can always go back and edit, this includes the title/subject line.

And in response to your Force mage and Force Lightening... Luke used Force lightening in the EU without being dark at the time, so it can certainly be done, but I think it take a lot of power and especially to not be dark when using it.

For a woman that would be a 'shrug', or a 'bolero'. But in searching for a masculine version of a shrug I found 'Zouave jacket', while still a womans garmet, it sounds cooler. ;)

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    When did he do that? Beside on book covers to look cool?

All those are different kinds of outermost layer clothes and what I am looking for is something you have among your inner layer clothes

23. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I think Luke used a mild form of it during the Dark Nest trilogy, specifically the battle in which he captured/rescued Raynar Thul. Plo Koon is of course semi-famous for his Electric Judgment, what with him being the only prequel-era Jedi to use a variant of the power (I don't recall if it's strictly non-lethal or if it can be used to kill).

As far as I can tell from various readings and other related media, generating the lightning itself has been shown to be a neutral act, albeit something requiring a good deal of power and a lot of experience and knowledge, because it's just harnessing the Force to generate electricity. The dark side aspect comes into play when you use that electricity with malevolent intent, thus pouring dark side energy into the target(s) in addition to the standard electric current (remember folks, it ain't the volts that kills you, it's the amperage). That's what really gives Force Lightning its devastating impact and lethality, and why it is only used by top-tier Sith and other "dark" Force-users. Not only that, but even those same practitioners don't always use it to kill; it has a long and not-so-illustrious career as an implement of Force-based torture.

Otherwise, a simple zap will ignite just about any readily-flammable thing, such as gasoline.

ThreadSketch and mavjade like this.
  24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I still think it would be called a bolero. I searched bolero for men" and there are a few examples of one without anything on under it, but I think for the most part that's not something that happens that often. HERE is an amazon product that probably isn't designed to be worn without anything else, but it certainly could be.

And yes, it was in the Dark Nest Trilogy that Luke used Force Lightning, though it was so long ago I don't remember exactly where, though what Goodwood says sounds familiar.

25. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I still say Electric Judgment so needs to be a band name.