main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Is there a GFFA equivalent of "en garde," any phrase they use to start a duel/sparring match?

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Don't know.

I would use "en garde" or maybe "come at me" if a bit more low-class, you could ask the mando people here if there is a mando'a version, if your character comes from the north-east part of the galaxy it is possible that he would use that.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Always the classic "Bring it!" as an option.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Here's a question for timeline nuts: how long between the Battle of Hoth and the Duel on Cloud City in TESB? I vaguely recall reading in some EU novel that Luke stayed on Dagobah to train with Yoda for a month or so, does that sound about right?

EDIT: I already checked the Wook, the TESB novelisation and the SW Timeline Gold, and I didn't find anything in there.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    According to The Essential Atlas (p. 186): "The journey to Bespin takes the Falcon weeks on its backup hyperdrive"

So something between two to four weeks I would guess using the backup hyperdrive.

jcgoble3, Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  8. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I've always believed that it had to be at least a month for the trip. It just makes more sense, especially regarding Luke's training.

Gamiel, Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think around four weeks is the most likely.

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks both :)

11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Here's a hospital question, so I'm tagging mavjade for it: What would the common name for the non-intensive care section of a hospital? As in, what would go in the following blank: "The patient's condition improved enough to allow him to be moved from the intensive care unit to _______________"? I'm thinking "general population" would work, but I'm not sure if there's a particular term that hospital staff commonly use.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

So there are two different terms that are used and it depends on what the patient had/what happened and how much they still need to be watched. If it was something very serious and the patient still needs a decent amount of watching/care they would go to a 'step-down unit'. There are also specific 'step-downs' sometimes, such as cardiac step-down, vascular step-down, etc, but just calling it 'step-down' is perfectly acceptable.

If they didn't need quite as much watching, but still need to be in the hospital, the term that is used it the patient is going to 'the floor', as in we would say, "I just transferred the patient to the floor." There are also specific floors as above: Vascular floor, cardiac floor, etc. or there are some general medicine floors, though mostly when talking to each other we won't specify unless asked, it's just "They went to the floor." The old-school term is a general care ward (the word ward has fallen way out of use, and implies that there are a bunch of patients in one room, but I just thought I'd give it to you.) You could possibly say general care, or watch unit.

Sorry, that was probably more detail than you wanted.

divapilot, Ewok Poet, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How many ways to create zombies or other undead do we know of?

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well... I've seen cyborg zombies.

15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    That's actually very helpful. For the specific case I have, a step-down would probably be most appropriate, but perhaps a bit opaque to the reader, as I don't really want to spend time explaining it (especially since it will be said by a nurse to the patient, not from one nurse to another), and it would add too much complexity to what's being said anyway. "General care" seems to be the most accessible term for readers unfamiliar with the lingo, and so I'll probably go with that even though it's technically not the best choice.

Thanks!

mavjade likes this.
  16. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Gamiel, what did I tell you about revealing the plan for world domination through zombies? [face_shame_on_you] Secrecy is key!

:p

17. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Gamiel I think the usual suspects are:
    • magic/occult science
    • illness (contracted through alien flower pollen or whathaveyou)
    • engineered virus (gone wrong)
    • aliens with strange procreation habits
    • fish and cheese theory (good luck finding the right cheese and fish in the GFFA)

18. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    If I were going to post a crossover/ mash-up (say, between SW and Equestria Girls :D) would that go in the regular forum or NSWFF?

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Gracias and sorry I meant: How many ways to create zombies or other undead do we know of in SW?

20. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    If it takes place in the GFFA with species from same—or even just in the GFFA but with sentient horses—then I'd say it'd be fine to put it in the regular forum. Mind what era you set it in, though, and tag appropriately (but you probably knew that already) ;)

21. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    No reason you can't adapt the terran causes, Gamiel. Have you looked in the Wook? There was a zombie-stormies novel (Death Troopers?) once. That had to have a cause...

Edith says: Novel called Death Troopers.
    So virus is valid in SW as well.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I need a good pair of profanity-laced insults that two close friends can hurl at each other upon establishing a connection over a comlink, to be used as a passphrase/counter-passphrase for sensitive communication (i.e. they would only talk to each other after each has verified the other's identity, by way of verifying that the correct passphrase was used). The reason for wanting insults, and wanting them profanity-laced, is as a reminder for them that they should be alone when placing/taking the call (you don't want others to hear that potty mouth :p), and for a small bit of humor.

However, I've been trying to think of something for a few months now, I'm now within a couple weeks of needing them, and I'm drawing a complete blank, because profanity and insults just aren't things I'm good at in general. Any help here?

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    "You're a [blank]head blankity-blank, you [blank]face!" "Oh yeah? Well, your mom is a blank, and your blankity-blank smells like blank, you [blank]hole!"

Anything laced with profanity sounds like a playground taunt. But, there you go. Fill in the blanks with whatever you need.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  24. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    "Pick up the comlink, you fat ugly fierfek."

"Stang it, lay off the karking hash!"

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Okay, that gives me a starting point. I can probably tweak from there. :) Thanks!