main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanfic writing resolutions for 2007

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Herman Snerd, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    It's that time of year again - time to make grand promises that you have every intention of fulfilling even though that nagging voice in your head realistically says that you probably won't.

So, regarding your fanfiction hobby/compulsion, what do you resolve to accomplish for 2007?

For 2007, I, Herman Snerd, being of questionable mind and holiday-fat body, resolve to:

Complete two of my unfinished stories and get them posted on the boards.

Quit slacking and get one of my old stories beta read and submitted to the Archive.

Harass the mods more, particularly Leona. O:) ;)

Be nicer to n00bies.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    1) To keep writing once a day on my The Story Hour challenge.
    2) To finish Lest Ye Be Judged, even if it has to kill me!
    3) To write a Pink 5 short story instead of a vignette.
    4) To finish all stories currently happening in a timely fashion.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I wish I could genuinely make one to start writing again. I just don't think I can take that kind of failure though. :(

Maybe I should just stick to modding and ban an ex mod or two? Hmmmm????

4. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Finish my blasted WIPs or die trying.

Try to avoid the occasional stupid comment when replying to the story.

Stop thread-killing.

5. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    1. Resolve to be proud of my mediocrity in writing. Face the fact that I'm one-dimensional and talentless, and still write the ideas and characters I have anyway. Not everyone can write literary. Some people can only write Harlequin Romances or dimestore novels.

2. Be more up front about said mediocrity. Not apologizing for it, but fighting for it. Which means no more trying to be nice...pain in posterior and ***** queen extraordinaire attitude all the way.

3.Understand that I have JUST as much right to tell stories in the SW universe as anybody else (no matter what many may think to the contrary).

4. Complete the stories I've been too intimidated to write because I haven't accepted my limitations or fought for my little piece of land in the fanfic world.

6. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Well I think I better resolve to avoid spending all my free time conquering the galaxy on Empire at War instead of writing. Because that is a very real danger. :p

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    1) To finish Betrayal (which I've said I'd finish for the last three New-Year's resolutions) but I mean it this time.[face_whistling] Maybe...

2) To write that lightside Xanatos story that has been languishing on my computer forever. I promised it to obi_ew ages ago.

3) To participate in challenges more.

4) To accept that I can't make my stories perfect and to just try for good, instead.

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    1. Get archived.

2. Win a fic award.

3. Finish one of my WIPs and begin on some of the fics on back burner.

4. Do a better job as 'leader' for the NJO AU being planned out and soon to be written.

9. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Hmmmm... I resolve to:

1. Put more time into "Tales of Tatooine."

2. Read more of the wonderful ff here by fellow authors and encourage new authors as I was encouraged. :)

3. Harass WyoJedi as only a sister can. (heeheehee)

4. Try to come up with creative ideas along with PrincessC so that we can keep the 'Over 30' thread rockin'.

5. Learn more about the KOTOR.

10. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Fanfic Resolutions?

1- Stop asking to be added to every stories PM list. I'll have more time to write, and I should just be happy to catch up when I can.

2- Write only one WIP at a time...let those other plot bunnies simmer.

3- Sign-up for more challenges, and actually COMPLETE the stories. That file of unfinished stories is soaking up my hard drive.

4- Learn to write more vividly, just because it's clear in my mind, doesn't mean it will translate that way for readers.

5- Keep to a schedule. ;)

11. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    I swore I wasn't going to make any resolutions but treat them as goals so...

1. Write consistently in the 2007 Diary challenge

2. Get back to finishing my Shunned wip that has languished since last spring.

3. Complete and post any challenges I start. I must have a dozen of half finished ones that just didn't make it for the deadlines.

4. Write my book which I have started. Actually non fan fic so maybe that doesn't count here but the character was one I started here.

12. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    It?s past midnight here so Happy New Year everyone.

I promise:

To finish those stories I have started before starting a new one.

To actually know what the story is going to be before I start posting it.

To write more and faster, well, okay, to make sure that it isn?t a month between updates.

13. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    1. To finish all my current fanfics. And not start any other stories until with a co-author. (I'll still be writing Vigs.)

2. To finish an original manuscript and submit it.

3. To add more to the setting. It may break the flow, but Setting is the 5th character. It can't be ignored because the other characters are whining about screentime.

4. To submit one of my stories to the archives.

5. To start writing full out outlines to all my stories instead of just knowing the end and a few points I'll hit. Organic isn't as well as orderly.

14. DancesWithBlasters

DancesWithBlasters Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 22, 2006
    1.) Finish up my series of vignettes. I have it all done up in my brain. Now if I could get it out onto paper, that would be lovely.

2.) Keep up my response to Dear Diary challenge for the whole year. Like that's going to happen, but one can always dream, can't she?

3.) Live up to furrylittlebantha's writing, now that I've adopted her fic Poisoned Hope. And finish it, too.

4.) Stop giving all of my OC's the same basic slightly dissatisfied but life could be worse personality! This one is the most important, I think.

5.) Actually answer one of the OC challenges and submit it. Also unlikely to happen, but whatever.

EDIT: I almost forgot another very very important one: 6.) Leave better review. I am a very bad reviewer. I never say anything worth while. Shame on me!

Oh, my God! Also: 7.) Learn how to post on FF.N so I can get my blasted stuff out there! Why couldn't it be nice and simple and within my grasp?

Finally: 8.) Actually write and HP fic, and finish it.

And there you have it. I'm ambitious, aren't I? Probably won't do half the things on the list.

EDIT: And learn how to spell! :_| This so sad, it's been like, my sixth edit to fix my spelling.

Happy New Year, all! May it bring great things to everyone!

15. GraySaberFreque

GraySaberFreque Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2006

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    1. Finish one of my WIPs.

2. Either finish the other WIP or get much father into it.

3. Finish my M&M challenge.

4. Read more fics, especally in the Saga (including the huge list I have saved in a Word document)

5. Actually act on a couple of my less time-consuming bunnies rather than just thinking about them.

6. Remember the beta index [face_blush]

17. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    1. Finish Cry of Silence. It has been sitting for way too long.

2. Be more social around the boards and actually review the stories I read, instead of lurking in them.

3. Write every day.

18. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    "1. What is the TFN FF Archive?

TheForce.Net Fan Fiction Archive is an archive of select stories written by fans of the Star Wars movies, books, and comics. The archive is intended to be a safe playground and library for all ages, young and old."

Quoted from this link:

http://fanfic.theforce.net/faq.asp

Since I can't edit my other post above for some reason, I'll have to add the other resolution here:

5. Throw out and delete all of my previous fics, AND ACTUALLY STICK TO IT RATHER THAN TRYING TO GO BACK AND FIND THEM AFTERWARDS. If I'm supposed to get rid of something, why do I feel like I should hold on to those things?!

6. Yet another one (and one which I might actually get to keep): See how many gimmicks I can come up with to keep my fics on the radar. (The "Purveyor of Illiterate Garbage" can only look fresh for a little while).

19. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    1. Finish "Uniting the Galaxy" by Valentine's day.

2. Try to get on a schedule with my posts - if this means less free time to play video games, so be it.

3. Do something regular with my crossover or give it to someone who can. It's been on quasi-hiatus too long.

4. Add more detail to the action sequences and more depth to the villains in my "Renewal" arc.

5. Post a short fic in "Before" - I keep putting this off.

6. Write at least one viggie, poem or songfic each month.

7. Be a bit more active and punctual at the CRPA index.

8. Swap out all the Morrowind in-jokes for ones my readers will actually get.

9. Write at least one one-shot or major scene for H/L, L/M, Siriwan, Revan/Bastila, and Corran/Mirax.

20. Kelli_LB

Kelli_LB Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    1. Finish "Dissent Rising" and "The Legacy" by the end of February.
    2. Don't let "Bound By Blood" get ignored.
    3. Don't start a new WIP until I finish a previous one.
    4. Get archived.
    5. Don't forget about the diary challenge.

Happy New Year everyone!

21. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Let's see here....

1. Be consistant with my "Dear Diary" entry. No, really.

2. Actually write some of those blasted plot bunnies that have been hopping around in my head for months...

3. Take more Challenges, whether they be posted on the boards themselves or sent to me by my Master.

That's all I can think of for now, but there are doubtless many more that I'll try to do nonetheless. *grins* Happy New Year, everyone! :D

22. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    These will be the first resolutions I have made since the 4th grade so here goes...

1. Write a post once every week on my WIP.

2. Actually figure out where I'm going to go with it.

3. Start a new WIP before March.

4. Finish reading all of the fics that I have started reading.

5. Make each post longer than 4 pages at least.

23. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Good joke, Diane ;) [face_laugh] :p ;)

I think I'll just post my writing resolutions in general:

24. Finish Drabbles, Into the Lion's Den, and Shroud of Darkness

25. Write OC diary challenge

26. Participate in other challenges more

27. Write more stories that aren't collaborative efforts

28. Write an original novel

29. Edited for markup codes.

30. Daenarrah

Daenarrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2005
    1. Be able to keep working on two WIPs at the same time (which I've never done before) without having one of them fall to the backburner.

2. Not start another WIP until one of them is done.

3. Throw away any semblances to strict outlines because I never seem to follow them anyway. Having looser ones seem to work better.

4. Participate in challenges more, old and new ones. By that I mean write something for older challenges that don't have deadlines and have real good ideas. There are a few I want to do. I just haven't gotten around to them.

31. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I never, EVER, keep these, but what the heck?

- finish the Shadows Cast trilogy

- start NO MORE WIPs until all current ones are finished

- participate in more challenges

- comment more than I do

- keep up in the Diary Challenge semi-regularly

That's all for now! :D

-Krystal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.