main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA FanForce Chapter for LA?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DarthYosef, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthYosef

DarthYosef Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2001
    I cannot believe there is no FanForce Chapter in LA or Orange County, with the size of southern California and the fact that LA is supposedly the movies capitol of the world. Would anyone be interested in setting one up? :) How would you go about doing this? I was reading the posts for Sacramento and am getting jealous ;)

2. SoloJedi

SoloJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    hey Yosef -
    I know what you mean!!!! We should get something started around here. Awhile back another member here also had suggested doing something...I live in pasadena and would like to have some sort of group thing where ppl get together every now and then and talk SW. We could watch the movies, have games or dress up. I don't know. A few ppl have expressed interest but didn't follow up on it.
    I'll see if i get a hold of them and get something going!!! It would be nice to do it before AOTC!!!

3. DarthYosef

Jul 30, 2001
    Maybe we can organize something for Celebration II, a big Star Wars group from LA.

BTW, I live in Anaheim.

4. Viceroy Craig

Viceroy Craig Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 1999
    Greetings!

Well, I don't have the audacity to say that we at LiningUp.Net are "it" for Los Angeles, but what I can say is that the people that lined up for 6 weeks at the Chinese Theatre for Episode I...that's us!

There's still a group of about 20 of us that still regularly get together to see movies, hang out, be extras in Spider-Man and basicaly do what you described!

Why do we not become a "FanForce" chapter?

Well quite simply, we feel we got the shaft by a "umbrella" site that tried to maintain lines in NY, SF, Dalas, and here in LA.

We feel that people should be governing themselves, and not have to worry about giving a bigger "parent" organization (for lack of a better word) a bad name, and vice versa.

Now I know each FF Chapter is their own thing, but still, if you have a bunch of utter idiots using your name, it makes you look bad.

We dont want to tell anyone what to do, and don't want to be told what to do. True, we'll have rules and regs for the line, but those are more safety issues rather than anything else.

In any case, check out LiningUp.Net to get on board for the line up come April!

5. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    "Well quite simply, we feel we got the shaft by a "umbrella" site that tried to maintain lines in NY, SF, Dalas, and here in LA."

As you said LA is not the only one that got shafted, though NY and Dallas do have Fanforce Chapters.

"Now I know each FF Chapter is their own thing, but still, if you have a bunch of utter idiots using your name, it makes you look bad."

Where would these utter idiots be coming from?

"We dont want to tell anyone what to do, and don't want to be told what to do. True, we'll have rules and regs for the line, but those are more safety issues rather than anything else"

The only thing we asking anyone to do is post on out forums(I know LA has their own and there is nothing FF can do to stop that), but you and other people do post here and I am sure it helps get the word out to other potential members. Would it hurt at all if this forum did not exist, I do not know. We also ask that you send us events to post up on out site, but that is your option.

LA can become an "official chapter anytime they like, since they are a strong group that has existed for my guess being 3 years, so anytime you guys like just give us the word and your name will be next to this forum with a link to your website. You will be also be listed on the Chapter page which is being reworked right now, as well as the Staff page which has contact info for all chapters.

Fanforce would never be running a Chapter, FF has no control over anything but the forums and if you have your own, so be it. I look at these forums as a Senate of sorts, We have representation from Fan groups all over the worlds, and I for one like getting to know fans from all over. It is especially good for gatherings like at Celebration 2 or any other convention.

Fanforce Staff and City Reps]

Fanforce FAQ

Even Seattle is recongized as a FF Chapter, Does FF have any control over them...No. Do they use the FF Forums..Rarely.

--------------------------------------------

On another note, I just purchased and watched Starwoids. I thought it was excellent and very well done. I plan on having my friends over to watch it soon. It brought back so many great memories from when I lined up for TPM.

6. Viceroy Craig

Sep 21, 1999
    Where would these utter idiots be coming from?

Mystery, that's just it, you have NO idea where they can come from. Take a hypothetical situation such as say there's a Helena Montana FF group (Nothing against Helena!), and something were to happen in that line either illegaly (ie: drugs, a beating, etc) or just plain stupidity, you KNOW the news reporters will be like...

"And these people are part of FanForce.Net, a website that brings fans together in various cities...etc."

We just totaly want to avoid any connection to anything that's not us. Not to mention we're a "buck the system" kinda group and pride ourseves on makeing a name for ourseves on our own, without a big name to back us. Sure when the time comes, we'll get our name out via various means, but we'll have done it on our own.

7. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000

It is not as if you would be asked to change your name to "LA Fanforce"

L****N really did give large sites a bad name. FF is not like Countingdown and would never expect to be, we are all volunteers here and will not be making any kind of profit from this.

I understand there is much pride in this for you as there is for all local groups.

If something terrible happened in a Fanforce Chapter it would all go back to SW and they may question all SW fan groups whether you are affiliated with a larger site or not. Lets just hope nothing like this happens in out fandom.

My opinion is it would be nice to see LA as part of this network of fan groups. I know pre-existing groups are hesitant to join anything such as FF.

8. Viceroy Craig

Sep 21, 1999
    Mystery,

You know in all honesty I don't really care either way that LU.N goes on this, but I am not the sole decision maker. No one single person runs LU.N, and it's very much a collaberative effort.

That said, when Eric and Jim brought Countdown Alliance.Net over and it became FF.N, I (and most others of us) thought the grassroots effort they started had been lost just to get the backing of a big name like TF.N.

Nothing against that of course, for it LU.N doesn't get noticed, then we raise less money for the kids we're helping, but again, to us it's all about the little "indy" guy.

9. DarthYosef

Jul 30, 2001
    Alright, so there's been some support for it. How would we get a chapter set up? We have to have a meeting sometime, right?

10. Viceroy Craig

Sep 21, 1999
    Yousef,

Actually, there's been an overwhelming majority AGAINST it by us. But again like I said before, that's not to say someone else cannot start one.

11. SoloJedi

Sep 10, 2001
    hi there -
    well, it doesn't have to be a "chapter" necesserily. It can just be a group of people getting together from time to time to discuss star wars. We can watch the movies, have costume contests, play games (trivia) etc. Doesn't have to be too complicated. We can get a group together for the premiere at the Chinese...there are different things that can be done....

12. Viceroy Craig

Sep 21, 1999
    SoloJedi,

Exactly. And that's exactly what we already do.

13. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Most of the LA fans I know are all part of the 501st. We get together for events and movies as well.

You are more than welcome to set yourself up with Fan Force and come with us. Since I work on the TFN Staff, I know exactly what happens.

As Mystery said, FF is just a way to get fans together, just like the 501st does for the hardcore costumers.

We will be going to Grand Slam in Pasadena next month, the Ren Fair out by San Bernardino and then its off to Indy.

Just look for the Troopers :)

14. SoloJedi

Sep 10, 2001
    hey azeem...
    I live in pasadena...what is this Grand Slam thing you're talking about???

15. Azeem

Apr 12, 1999
  16. WormieVibes

WormieVibes Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Hey there people,
    I live in LA. What does this fanforce do and how do I join maybe? Sounds like fun.

17. Azeem

Apr 12, 1999
    There really isn't an organized LA group of FanForce.

The closest thing you have is LiningUp.net and the 501st Legion.

18. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    You guys in LA aren't the only ones not a part of Fan Force. The folks in Richmond (The Moisture Farm Co-Op) have also decided not to join Fan Force. Just thought I'd let you know that you guys aren't alone.

19. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    hey all!
    i am the phoenix fan force secretary, and if you need any help setting up your fan force chapter, feel free to ask!
    all you need to do is get three people together for three meetings! you can have meetings at a movie theatre, have a barbeque in a park, or(if you are willing to open your home) have people over for a movie party!
    we in phoenix recently all went on a trip to the ren faire together!
    you can have ALOT of fun by setting up a chapter, and meeting new people! when you get a chapter established, organize a staff (like a city rep, secretary, historian, treasurer...) and make a date (like once a month) to have a meeting in the same place every time, and start planning events!(like going to the movies to see the new episode II trailer!)
    feel free to check out our board in phoenix for ideas!

hope to see a LA chapter soon!

20. JediVixen

JediVixen Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    Ok, so we have to have 3 people at a meeting --- who wants to meet say for example at Universal City Walk? To discuss Ep II and lining up??

21. Viceroy Craig

Sep 21, 1999
    Vixen, take a look at the thread just under this one.

Citywalk Meeting on the 30th

The meeting at Citywalk is on the 30th! Check that link for more details.

22. o2thx

o2thx Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2001
    Hey guys, Peter here from liningup.net. This is an interesting topic. I'd have more to say on it but it's 10:50pm and I gotta get going to make it to the midnight showing of Dark Crystal.

23. Kevlar

Kevlar Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    I'm new here (actual first post), and this was the first thing I looked for. Is there going to be any more discussion on this for LA/Orange County? I hope there is still some interest in getting this going.

24. Azeem

Apr 12, 1999
    I don't know about LA and Orange county but Inland Empire is being setup right now. They just got the domain for it.

inlandempirestrikesback.com I think.

25. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Hmm, I'm from the IE... but I spend the school year in LA.

It'd be cool to set up a FF.

Welcome to the boards, Kevlar!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.