main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanForce Web Masters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by Amidala Starkiller, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I thought I'd start a thread for all the web masters of FF pages to share ideas and help out anyone that might need it.

I made a index of all the FF web pages.

FanForce Web Site Index

Australia & New Zealand
    New South Wales | Fanforce New South Wales
    New Zealand | Guardians of the Triple Star
    Queensland | The Force Guild
    Western Australia | Outer Rim
    Victoria | Fanforce Victoria

Canada
    Moncton | The Galactic Core
    Niagara Falls | Young Jedi Niagara
    Québec | The Sith Clan
    Toronto, Canada | The Toronto Longline

Europe
    German Speaking | GSFF Homepage
    Netherlands | Stichting S.W. Fanclub
    Portugal | FanForce Portugal
    Sweden | Sweden FanForce

Latin America
    Puerto Rico |Jedi Outcasts

USA - MidSouth
    Dallas, TX | DFW Force
    Lafayette, LA | FanForce Acadiana
    Oklahoma City, OK | JediOKC
    San Antonio, TX | San Antonio FanForce
    Tulsa, Ok | Tulsa FanForce
    Waco, TX | The Bounty Hunter's Guild

USA - MidWest
    Chicago, IL | Chicago Force
    Evansville,IN | E'ville Jedi
    Indianapolis, IN | Indy Knights
    Detroit, MI | R2Detroit
    Louisville, KY | Louisville Alliance of Star Wars Enthusiasts
    Minneapolis, MN | Minnesota Force
    Milwaukee WI | The Milwookiee Council
    Omaha, NE | River City Rebels
    South Bend, IN | South Bend FanForce
    Quad City: The Quad City Jedi Order

USA - NorthEast
    Boston, Mass | The Boston Rebels
    Buffalo, NY | The North Ridge
    Pittsburgh, PA | Steel City Jedi Knights: Three Rivers, One Force
    King of Prussia, PA | Philly Outer Rim
    Maryland | Maryland Force
    New York, NY | SWNYC
    New Jersey | New Jersey Order

USA - Pacific
    Idaho Falls, ID | Idaho Falls Star Wars Alliance
    San Diego, CA San Diego FanForce
    San Francisco, CA | San Francisco
    Orange County, CA | The Orange Empire
    Seattle, WA | Seattle FanForce
    South Bay | South Bay Star Wars Fan Club

USA - SouthEast
    Atlanta, GA | Hothlanta Rebels
    Charlotte, NC | Charlotte Separatists
    Lafayette, LA | FanForce Acadiana
    Nashville TN | [

2. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Wow, this is quite the list, I'm impressed. our webmaster doesn't really post here, but I'll see if I can entice him over.

3. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    The link for SWNYC is messed up a bit :)

¤Night

4. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
  5. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    upon dissection the following are also funky:

Western Australia
    Toronto
    Niagra Falls
    Chicago
    Indianpolis

hehe

¤Night

6. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Actually, the Chicago link is messed up as well.

7. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Hey guys. I'm the webmaster/board customizer/junk manipulator/secondary City Rep over at Charlotte...

Just curious and all, but does anyone else do banner graphics for their board? And do y'all manipulate the board color scheme? I've got some layouts we're considering, but we keep getting server problems, so our banners are always knocked off the net...

Oh and our link isn't quite accurate.. it changed a while back ~ http://separatists.sphosing.com ~ we needed to look good, so we spelled our name correctly on our domain ;)

8. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
    Got them :)

Thanks guys

9. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    No problem. Also, what format of pages do y'all use? I want to switch over to psp, but I don't know...

I'm currently working on a new site for us again that's driven by some Javascript and VBscript...

10. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
    Front Page is my best firend :)

I'm not the code monkey I should be but I'll add some stuff to Waco as i learn it.

11. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I do like FrontPage, but for general page layout, I have an old version of Netscape Composer (4.2 I think..) and it serves as a better site basis builder for tables and forms.

Then I head to FrontPage to finish off the design, and then off to notepad to add my source.. although I want to check out Jasc's new web designer or Dreamweaver... I don't know.

For graphics, what do y'all stick to..? I prefer Jasc's Paint Shop Pro and LView Pro.. but Photoshop is cool, and I'll probably get it when I get some more money ;)

12. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Niagara (Not Niagara Falls, we cover a much larger area) is linked to Toronto.

Now the Toronto guys and gals are a great bunch. Heck, we had a CR movie night (me and TragicLad) tonight, but it would be better if the link pointed to www.youngjediniagara.com

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I like to use Dreamweaver for page layouts, then I head to note pad to add stuff I wouldn't trust Dreamweaver to do. I've been messing around with php lately and I've got a grasp for it. For graphics I use else Photoshop or Illustrator, although I like some of the Macromedia grahics products but don't have the money to blow.

14. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
    I have Dreamweaver and Fireworks but I haven't taken the time to learn them yet

I've gotten rusty in Photoshop so I've started back with the fan art. Gives me some fun computer art time since in school I'm only taking studio art right now.

15. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    NB: Added UK FanForce to the list.

16. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I'm all for trying new software.. I can always download the demos off the internet. If I don't like what I see, well, then forget it...
    So, what kind of scripts do y'all stick into a page (if any)? And what scripting language do you use?

I personally stick to plain old HTML Form commands, some Javascript and VBscript. I've written a few Active-X Plugins for our site, but since I don't know (nor think) that Active-X plugins would work on a Mac or any other non-Windows based computer, I didn't want to add to confusion of our website.

Oh and I just noticed that the Charlotte Separatist's link is messed up.. would an RSA or GSA mind fixing it? Please? :)

17. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    I pretty much always start my pages in Front Page, to get the grunt work and basic design out of the way, than tweak the code in Notepad as need to get things just the way I want.

Using Photoshop for most graphic mods.

I'm kinda in deep doo right now, my main graphics guy Grimby (who also did our custom FF board graphics), just left for the Air Force and no one is stepping up to replace him so far, i'm really good at using others graphics to integrate and use in pages, not so much at making stuff myself. Hopefully someone will come along, I just did a major facelift to our site working with Grimby before he left, so i'm ok for now.

One thing I just did with our site was create microsites for our Special Interest Groups, gave each of the groups' main person an FTP name and password that just lets them into their microsite and told them to have anyone they want design the site, i'll support them on a techincal level, but the design is only subject to that interest groups whims.

Groups are books, design, collecting, costumes, femme, and gaming. Should get some cool eclectic designs out of each group. The main site that I continue to update, design and maintain will just be used for main group news, meeting times, member list, photos etc.

Hope that gives others some ideas.

18. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I knew Grimby because of the boards. Great guy.. he's also good with graphics and design. I like your idea on the web and how it's set up. Unfortunately, only one or two other people in our FanForce know of web design work and how to do it (if more know, they haven't let anyone know ;)). Ah well. And since I'm joining the Navy myself, I won't be around to do much more work anymore.

19. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    What servers do you all use?

!snap

20. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    We use(d) Sphosting.Com because of the price (none at all :D ), but now we're going to find another image host so we can have our banned displayed properly again.

21. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    We use www.imhosted.com , really great full featured package with lots of space and transfer for the price.

I use a great free portal program www.web-app.org for the cgi that runs the board. They have a wonderful group of volunteer coders who post updates and modifications constantly to the site and will answer questions about configuration.

22. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I"m not the official webmaster for the Charleston, SC FanForce but I have a site up. It's in the infancy stages right now. I just use Notepad, web tutorials, www.htmlgoodies.com, and HotDog Page Wizard to help me with the webpage.

I do all the "html" in Notepad but I use the rest of the things I listed to make sure that I'm doing it correctly.

I host the site on my own computer. I'm looking at getting a name for our site but I'm not sure what the name should be. I wish there was a way to get a domain name for free. :)

23. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Salty...
    How do you host on your own computer? NT Server?

24. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    So... *nudge*
    Anyone still care to talk here? :)

25. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Oh please dont judge Boston by that crappy site listed up ther.I promise you we will have a much nicer site up and running by the fall.We just got our own domain name and are working on a brand new site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.