main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fans who grew up with the OT-Do any of you actually prefer the PT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IKilledSifo-Dyas, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    There is a lot of talk on these boards from older fans (the over 30 crowd,like me) who are not very pleased with the prequels so far,and complain that they do not compare to the originals (not like me).I was wondering if any older fans actually prefer the PT to the OT?So far,I am loving the prequels and despite what everyone say,they do make me feel like a kid again (I'm 35).Having said that,I will say that at the moment,I like the OT slighly more,but not by much.Here is how I would rank them at the moment:

1. TESB

2. AOTC (I liked Empire just a little more,
    but definitely prefer it to ANH)

3. ANH

4. TPM (I know lots of people hated it,but I
    was surprised how much I really
    liked this movie and place it
    slightly behind ANH)

5.ROTJ (Ok,don't flame me,but I loathe Jedi.
    I'm not going to go into a big
    explaination why,but you know that
    thread they had about all the
    reasons why Jedi sucked?I agreed
    with most of them)

Now if Ep.3 can live up to it's potential (which I think it can),It could at least over take over the third spot from ANH, putting 2 of the 3 prequels in my top 3 (making it my prefered trilogy).Anyway,any other old timers loving the PT or even like it more than the OT?

P.S. Please don't turn this
    into a bashers vs gushers
    thread.That is not my intent.
    I just want to see if any
    orignal fans are liking the
    prequels as much (or more)
    than I am.

DamonD edit: Gave it a good long run, but this one's long passed the point of either being constructive or even relevant to the Saga Forum.

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I like them about the same. ANH is my personal favorite. I like all of the others about the same. Each brings on a different wave of nostalgia, even AOTC.

3. jeedai_master_ousley

jeedai_master_ousley Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2003
    I do not judge the movies as PT/OT, but as Star Wars. To me, it's all one big story, sorta like a book series. Sure, there's parts that I like and dislike about each movie, but as a whole the likes largely outweigh the dislikes.

4. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    no question the originals are the best why else are we here. the new ones are fun but I still love the originals far more.

5. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think that the OT has a certain magic, that the prequels will never top. But having said that, I still love the prequels, and I think, that it is great, that George Lucas went back and made them. And together this make an awsome saga. :D

6. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    I'm a fan in his 30s...the PT has had its share of ups and downs...I can't lie. But I still enjoy the heck out of the new movies. The magic of the OT is the reason we're all here in the first place. But there is a mythical, surreal feeling to the new movies and a sense of inevitable dread leading up to the next movie.

There are elements to both that I prefer. I prefer the acting and humor of the OT, but I prefer the FX and scope of the PT.

The Phantom Menace has its problems, and it's probably my least favorite. But Attack of the Clones saved the franchise, breathed new life into the PT and it's back on track for an incredible ending. I have high, high hopes for III.

7. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    I am over 30 and prefer the PT, despite my dislike of aspects of TPM. While I generally prefer the OT movies individually, as a whole I like the arc of the PT much more for telling a cohesive story and having a unified vision. I am the rare fan who doesn't much care for action sequences, so I actually prefer the political action, courtly behavior, and elegance of the PT-era. In short, I like the "grey" shading of the PT, as opposed to the "black and white" of the OT. Most of all, I get to see more Palpatine/Sidious in the PT!

Here's my list thus far:

1. ESB
    2. ATOC (nearly tied with ESB)
    3. ANH
    4. ROTJ (+Palpatine is crucial in the redemption scenes -Ewoks, rehashed ideas [Death StarII])
    5. TPM (+generally visually superior, elegance, politics, Sidious/Palpatine -Jar Jar, cheesiness, Anakin's dialogue ["yippee!"]

8. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I'm 33 and the PT has not disappointed me at all. I do have to say though that as a kid the OT could do no wrong because you were a kid and could easily over look any problems that those films had, that said, I think both sets of films do have their share of problems but to be a true SW fan you have to over look these and just love the movies for what they are.

For me the PT gives us Jedi in their prime and the LONG awaited answer (for me anyway) to what were the clone wars. Not to mention a VERY smart story of how the Sith slide into power.

The OT holds a lot of sentimental value for me and I only wish that I could watch the PT as a child as well, I'm sure I would enjoy it even more that I do now, if that's possible.

9. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    I'm 30, and in many ways I do prefer the PT. I absolutely adore the new films.

Ultimately, though . . it won't matter. In 10 years, when I sit down to watch the Saga on DVD, I won't think "OT vs PT" at all.

I suspect that it will be the same for many, many others.

-Otis

10. undergroundrar

undergroundrar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    Each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

But what's truly incredible is how the new films and old films really compliment each other and strengthen the story.

11. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I do not judge the movies as PT/OT, but as Star Wars. To me, it's all one big story, sorta like a book series.

I agree. If I had to rank the films, AOTC would be #1 and ESB #2, and I was 7 when ESB came out.

To me, the PT = OT. It's all Star Wars and it's all good! :D

12. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I agree to a certain point it's all SW. I was 8 when ANH came out and it was actually just called Star Wars. ANH was added later.

I love the PT but I don't have the same emotional attachment to the PT that I do to the OT. I've probably watched TPM close to 40 times now and AOTC about 25 and there are "old SW feelings" there, but it's still not like how I feel watching the OT. If I had to choose between the trilogies I'd pick the OT every time.

But, since it's all one big movie we don't have to worry, right?

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I'm not an 'old' fan in terms of age since I'm only 16, but I certainly grew up on the OT and have loved it since before I can remember. There's a certain fondness of nostalgia I've attached to it definitely just because of what it is. ESB is my favourite so far, but I have an inkling that if I'm fair Ep. III could be better, but of course we can't know that yet...

Personally, I have a hard time chosing favourites in the saga or saying that I like the OT better than the PT. There are things I love about the OT that I think the PT lacks (like Han), but there are things the PT has done to enhance the overall impact of the saga and indeed to give more depth to the OT. I just see the saga as a whole as wonderful, despite the flaws in all the films. There's nothing like it.

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I like 'em the same. It's all Star Wars :D

15. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I'm with solojones - new kid who's been addicted to Star wars since age two. The OT will always be a classic, but I like the PT a lot. TPM was a bit of a disappointment, but whatever anybody says, AOTC was quite worthy of the name Star Wars.
    There's no way I can rank these movies- they're all too good!

16. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I'm 36, and grew up on the OT.

I love the PT, and consider them better in a lot of ways to the OT in terms of story arcs, special effects and things of that nature.

HOWEVER, To me no movie will ever have the same "wow" factor that Star Wars had for me when I was a kid. It's purely the best movie experience I have ever had, or ever will.

Otherwise, I love em all...even ROTJ ;)

17. Obi-HaCoR

Obi-HaCoR Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2002
    I'm only 20, but I feel in love with Star Wars the first time I saw the OT.

I personally prefer the OT, but I'm not complainign very much abotu the PT. Yeah, it may not hold it's own very well against the Originals, but you can't hurt them for trying.

My list from best to least fav...

1.TESB
    2.AOTC (Was almost my number 1)
    3.ROTJ
    4.TPM
    5.ANH

I took have high expectations on Episode 3 and wouldn't be surprised if it came in first or second on my list when it comes on. But I do prefer the OT.

18. Jarx_Xun

Jarx_Xun Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2003
    I don't understand why so many people hate the prequeals, especially TPM. I enjoy it more then ANH, that ones a little boring in my opinion, at least TPM has na explosive saber fight.

I think the prequals and the OT are on par. The OT has many faults too, such as acting and dialogue. I think it's just cause many people saw them as kids that they hold it in such high standings. For example my dad thinks Star Wars in general has a really bad story and bad acting in it in general, because he was older when he saw it first he couldn't over look it's flaws.

19. First_Stage_Lensman

First_Stage_Lensman Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    I grew up w/ the OT. Saw ANH in '77 - learned to love movies & drama from it. But I would always sigh when I saw unused designs and early-early preproduction art from the old films or read about the early story treatments & drafts. I said to myself 'They'd be more esoteric and less well defined but THOSE are the SW movies I want to see'. I was right - I prefer the PT to the Ot by a loooooong shot. I'll take Mace, Ki, Jar Jar & co. over Lando, Han [most boring character ever IMO] & Co. any day.

20. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I gotta agree with everyone that said that they are all good. It's the saga I like. I'm not a purist who only likes the OT just because it's old. I wouldn't mind if they took the OT and totally redid the FX to update the whole thing. [/color]

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am 29 and I love the newer films as much as the older films. They are all Star Wars to me. There are things I would change in each film. There are things I love in each film as well. Having said this, here is how I rank the films:

-TESB
    -AOTC
    -TPM
    -ANH
    -ROTJ

22. vampire-jing

vampire-jing Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    I prefer the PT much more.

OT=inspiration & innovation
    PT=intelligence & intricacy

23. Obi-HaCoR

Obi-HaCoR Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2002
    The OT has many faults too, such as acting and dialogue

I have to disagree with that. Even though the Main cast was quite young....they held the Trilogy together like glue. Their connection with eachother flowed VERY easily across the screen. The acting (especially at thier age) was great, especially for the time they were in. You coudl tell that they definitly drew off of eachother in each scene.

I will admit that yes, SOME of the dialogue in the OT was bad, but looking back in the years it was filmed, it's understandable and I'm sure it was top notch for thier time as well. I will admit though, that the OT dialogue is much better then the PT. Everytime I watch TESB and I hear Luke tell Yoda......

"I'm not afraid".

I get chills everytime Yoda responds..

"You will be...you will be" and gives him that sinsiter look. Now THAT!! Is not only a great scene but great dialogue as well. The PT has too many forced scenes and lines with a cast that don't have the same connection like the OT had, and it shows.....

Don't get me wrong, I do like the PT, but I prefer the OT any day of the week. Noticing some of the posts and the age of some of the peopel here.............those that are younger and didn't grow up with the OT, prefer the PT.

24. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm 23 but since I came in contact with OT when I was just around five years old I did grew up with it.

IMO the OT and PT are equal in entertainment value. They're fun and exciting to watch. But if I have to chose I'd say OT wins because after having seen that trilogy around 30 times I still care. I feel sad when Yoda dies. I feel so much empathy for Luke when he lits the funeral pyre. There are some moments in TPM that causes the same sort of emotions but overall I feel more when I watch the OT.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think I'm lucky to have seen the OT at a young age because I grew up not seeing the little faults it has and just loving it. And then I was only 12 when TPM came out, so I felt the same about it. I think AOTC is better than TPM, but I take the same kind of stance on TPM that Ewan finally settled on; it was a little more dull than the other, but they had so much background to set up and it did a nice job of that. Besides, my favourite part of the overall saga is Obi-Wan and with Ewan that's coming out more than perfect.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.