main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fans who grew up with the OT-Do any of you actually prefer the PT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IKilledSifo-Dyas, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    When I was younger I watched the OT a million times. When the PT came out I was full of expectancy, and it didn't let me down - I love the PT equally with the OT.

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Ok, I was 11 when Star Wars came out... (ANH=SE which I'm not overly fond of). I remember when, in an interview with GL, Starloge asked about a possible sequal and GL responded that "yes he was working on it and that if would have some cheesy title like The Empire Strikes Back or something."

'Star Wars' in and of itself came at a turning point in my life... it's one of those things you can't explain but I know there are people out there who know exactly where I'm comming from.

'Star Wars' was very linier... there was the good guys, the bad guys, the scoundrel who 'goes good', the princess is rescued and the bad guys either die or get banished to return another day.

'Empire', a continuation of this theme, but then our chief villian throws in a little monkey wrench... we spent YEARS trying to discern whether Vader was telling Luke the truth... Even to this day, the "No, I am your father" is still one of the more chilling momnets of the film... Luke's Horror at the revelation almost matches our own. (Which is why the 'scream' as Luke falls bothers me in the SE, in the original version, it was a concious suicidal choice to let go.. the 'scream' makes it seem like he slipped...)

'Jedi' The opening battle of Hoth, the tauntauns, the return to Dagoba and Yoda's revelation and death... Vader becoming more 'grey'as apposed to black hearted villain... the funeral pyre (which now brings tears to my eyes).

'TPM' OK, I admit it, I HATED it on the first viewing... it wasn't Star Wars to me (back in the days when I suffered from the knowlege that I knew better than GL as to what SW was). I think the over marketing and hype killed it for me... on later viewings I found it infinately more enjoyable once I put my cynisism aside.

'Clones', in my eyes owes a great deal to HC's performance as a young Anakin (and don't peg me as a blind HC worshiper.. I hated LAAH over all). Go back and watch SW after seeing Clones... you will see young Anakin in Vader an even more so, Luke. HC said he repetedly watched the OT on vidio preparing for the role... it shows... EM is also brilliant as Obi-Wan... I think Guiness would have been proud.

I'm trying to cut this short.... I didn't realize that I was writing an essay leangth post...

In the end, The PT has in effect pushed our comfort levels that were already being strained in Jedi... There is no black and white... the Jedi were NOT as goodie two shoes as we thought (look at Qui Gon), 'Vader' was once a loving man, Luke and Liea's mother has a face... Gods, I can hardly wait for E-3 to tie it all together...

3. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    AOTC - I really enjoy this movie. It has the feel of any SW moive. It all has ever thing I that I liked in the other moives. Saber fights. Big land battles, and so on.

I really liked the love story. I liked how Obi-wan was off on his own trying to find out what was going on and so on.

TESB - Best shocking scene ever. :D

ANH - What is there not to like. I just liked it. :D

TPM - The more I watch this the more it grows on me. Also by watching it more I learnd more about for exmaple Jar Jar, etc.

ROTJ - This was ok but it was the last half that I liked. I enjoy watching the Ewoks. I may be the only one. But I really don't care. ;)

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I grew up with the OT(born 1980), but I didn´t actually see the films until 1991 or -92 and it wasn´t until 1996 that I became a real fan. So I guess I´m part of the last original edition fandom.
    When the SE came out, that was the first time I saw Star Wars in theater. Greatest experience ever! I really like SE, but I see it as a first step towards the final edition of the OT.

So right now, yeah, I guess I do prefer the PT, because it´s much closer to GL´s vision than the OT is. When the DVDs come out, though, I´m sure I will enjoy the OT just as much.
    I sat down the other day and watched ROTJ BTW. What a great peace of film it is! Sure, the ewoks are cute and all, but if you look at them not as little people in movie costumes, but as real, fighting creatures, the ground battle on Endor becomes much more dramatic.

My ranking:

1. The STAR WARS saga!

5. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Lars_Muul that sounded cool. I to was bron in 1980. I frist saw a Star Wars moive when I was I think 6 years old. It was TESB it was on TV and my mom and dad got me up when it was really late at night to watch it with them. I did not know what I was watching and just wanted to go to bed.

But little did I know that by watching that moive woudl I become a fan of Star Wars. :) After that I watch the OT in then got to see the OT:SE on the big screen then at last I got to see the all new PT. :)

6. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Yay, another 80er! :D
    I like your view of the films. You see the positive aspects, which is a trait I really like, cuz that´s the way I am ;)
    Something special about being born 1980....

I´m glad I saw the films chronologically the first time. Not that I remember anything at all from seeing TESB or ROTJ for the first time, but you know....

7. rgard32

rgard32 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2003
    i was born in 69...so i saw it in the theater.....and i honestly think that if the OT was never made...the PT would have flopped........

8. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    OT all the way. (born 1970)

It stands all by itself, and has done so for 25 years. It doesn't need an "opening act".

ANH is my overall favorite, but ESB really pulls at the heartstrings.

The ending of ROTJ makes up for the beginning of it. ;)

9. data68

data68 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    I'd like to quote Qui-Gon: "The ability to use amazing computer graphics does not make a movie wonderfull." (I might have miss-quoted him)

my age=16

10. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    "I'd like to quote Qui-Gon: "The ability to use amazing computer graphics does not make a movie wonderfull.""

Whoever said it did?

I like both the OT and PT. Vampire jing said what I've always thought. The OT is more inspirational, while the PT is more grand and intelligent. The OT, to me, is more fun and I connect more with the characters, but I love the style and story of the PT.

Ehh, it's all Star Wars to me.

Cometgreen, only 16, but a fan since the Star Destroyer first roared above him in ANH

11. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    Born in 71, was raised on the OT, and like the PT and OT equally.

I stand by my theory, which is: The biggest difference between the OT and PT, and the one that causes the old-time fans to like the OT over the PT, is this: There is no Han Solo, and no Darth Vader, in the PT. In other words, there is no character in the PT that breaks up the serious tone, and gives the audience someone to relate to, who essentially rolls their eyes at the silliness of it all. And there is no big bad villain to command a dominating presence on-screen and give the audience someone to boo and hiss at.

That's why people think the PT is lacking personality and leads them to the conclusion that the PT is just an effects show. Now, I agree than Han and Vader are great characters, but I've always seen a lot more to Star Wars than that, which is probably why the PT works for me.

The lack of a Han Solo and a Darth Vader is by design. The prequel era is supposed to be stale and complacent. A strong sarcastic character would change that mood. And a strong villain would completely destroy Vader's power as a super-villain in the later episodes.

Having said all that, here are some quotes from earlier in the thread that point out how a lot of old-time fans allow their nostalgia to get in the way of objectively viewing the OT:

"Even though the Main cast was quite young....they held the Trilogy together like glue. Their connection with eachother flowed VERY easily across the screen. The acting (especially at thier age) was great, especially for the time they were in."

This, IMO, is ridiculous. Hamill, Fisher, and Ford were no younger than Hayden, Natalie, and McGreggor. And I don't understand this chemistry that the original trio supposedly has. First of all, in ROTJ, Ford and Fisher are awful. And looking at ANH and ESB, the trio are together for all of about 35 minutes. And how much chemistry is there really in the "So, what do you think of her, Han?" cockpit scene, or the "what about you need, I need?" scene on Hoth? "The acting was great"??? Hardly! "Especially for the time"?? Since when is 1977 considered an era before good acting came along?

"I will admit that yes, SOME of the dialogue in the OT was bad, but looking back in the years it was filmed, it's understandable and I'm sure it was top notch for thier time as well."

Again, was ANH made in 1977 or 1177? It is not "understandable" to have bad dialogue in 1977. Unless, of course, you were a kid in 1977 and didn't know the difference.

"Noticing some of the posts and the age of some of the peopel here.............those that are younger and didn't grow up with the OT, prefer the PT"

I don't know what thread you're looking at, but most of the posts before yours on page 1 are from adults who say they like the PT as much as the OT.

12. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Was born in '75. I loved the OT growing up as a kid and just love the PT. I find I do like it better. Just more going on. I guess also because it is New and fresh. But I really like them equally.

13. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    No, I DON'T prefer the PT to the OT!

14. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Darth Fierce: Great post!
    You can find traces of the Han-attitude in Obi-Wan, though. He isn´t as cynical as Han, but he does have that flirt-with-the-audience edge.
    Some people are able to identify with Han, though. Those people can´t identify with Obi-Wan, because he is a different kind of person.
    But then the PT has another character to identify with that the OT lacked: Jar Jar Binks. Finally, there is a character for us original, abnormal outsiders who simply don´t fit in with the rest!

15. arielthalandra

arielthalandra Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    I was born 8/12/62...JFK was president...yeah, I'm really old, with grey hair and wrinkles. I'm damn near Vader's age in ANH. Anyway, I'm completely obsessed, and the wait between ROTJ and TPM seemed like an endless wasteland. I kept hearing these rumors that GL was going to make prequels, which kept me salivating because I always was a huge Vader 'shipper. So now that the PT is nearing completion, what do I think?

Well...all I can say is thank you GL from the bottom of my heart. I know the PT has been slammed endlessly but that has not cooled my ardor one iota. I know the PT isn't filmmaking on a par with, say, LOTR, but then neither is the OT. What really gets to me is that most of the complaints about the PT are equally applicable to the OT. There's a major double standard. And I'll take Jar Jar over an Ewok any day.

I love it all, the OT and the PT, but for different reasons. OT is nostalgic and started it all. PT adds immeasurable depth and feeds my addiction. But I can't say I love one trilogy over the other; at most I can say the PT is more novel, as I've seen the OT 100s of times.

Star Wars rocks. I am just rabid to see ep 3.

16. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Unless episode three really knocks my socks off, I'll stick with the OT. Star Wars was a jaw-dropper when I saw it in '78 (10 years old then), and everybody, it seemed, couldn't wait for The Empire Strikes Back. Return of the Jedi was also eagerly anticipated even though the movie turned out to be a bit disappointing.
    When The Phantom Menace premiered, I rushed to see it like everyone else. When the 20th Century Fox fanfare blared forth over the speakers and you saw the Lucasfilm logo, well, it seemed like the old thrill was back. Needless to say I felt pretty let down. The only other movie that disappointed me even more was the Tri-star Godzilla movie. It seemed to me that Lucas took a page from his Howard the Duck movie and tried to dress up a bad movie with lots of nifty special effects. Yes, the Ewoks were bad, but at least they didn't have dialog like the Gungans (You know who I'm talking about). Attack of the Clones was a bit better, with some good scenes and sequences (the title was stupid) but I didn't rush to see it like I did the other movies. The prequels just don't seem to connect with me. I do hope Episode three turns out to me an excellent movie but in the meantime, I'll stick with the classics.

17. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    It´s funny how people seem to think of the Star Wars episodes as separate movies when they aren´t.

18. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    ...or even seperate trilogies...

19. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    I'm thirty and grew up watching the OT, I barely remember watching A New Hope, but every movie that came out after I remember vividly.
    I love all the Star Wars movies but The Phantom Menace is my favorite (yes I also love Jar Jar;)) with AOTC coming in a close second, kissing close. Growing up with such a passion for the Star Wars saga after ROTJ I thought none of the mysterious back story that I always wondered about would ever come to light.
    Things like who was Anakin Skywalker originally where did he come from etc, what was the galaxy like before the Empire, what were the clone wars all about, who the Emperor is/was. I felt that there was this huge mysterious back story out there to this wonderful saga that would never come out.
    Then in the early ninties I hear rumors the Lucas is creating prequels to Star Wars which I was skeptical that was actually going to happen but more I heard of it the more excited I got.
    The Phantom Menace comes out and I totally clicked with the film because it was everything I was looking for and plus it was just an action packed Star Wars film and I got that feeling of being "blown away".
    Attack of the Clones just compounded on that feeling and magnified it. Both movies have gone into depths of things that I didn't even think of.
    Never the less, I have been more than impressed with the PT, even more its gone beyond my original dreams of what the back story to the OT.

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "It´s funny how people seem to think of the Star Wars episodes as separate movies when they aren´t."

"...or even seperate trilogies..."

It's also funny when people confuse semantics with facts.

21. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    I'm 38, and also I grew up on the OT.

I like very much PT films and showing Anakin's story completely is just awesome. But still - OT and especially ANH brings warm feelings to my heart... [face_love]

22. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    All the Star Wars movies bring the warm fuzzies to my heart. Auntie somehow I doubt you look anything like your icon. I of course look exactly like mine. ;)

23. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I was born in 1976. The OT was part of my childhood from a very young age. While I like the PT, it definitely comes second. I'll admit that sentimentality probably plays a big role, but even watching the films now.. there's a specific atmosphere to the OT that has not been captured in the first two installments of the PT (although, Eps. I and II have an atmosphere all their own).

I'll admit the first time I saw TPM, I was holding back a lot of criticism because it a SW film. Upon further viewing, I almost grew to hate it, although you'd never hear me say so aloud. Then it started to grow on me, with the exception of a few scenes and characters. When AOTC came out, it restored a huge amount of my faith. Still not on par with the OT films, but I loved this one from the very beginning.

Here's my ranking:

TESB - I still watch this one on the edge of my seat. And the revelation scene still gives me goosebumps.

ANH - The one I must've watched 50 times in the early to mid-eighties alone.

AOTC - After watching the DVD for the 10th time or so, finally decided this one deserved to move up a notch. It gets better every time I see it.

ROTJ - I still love this one, but knocked it down to 4th place when I realized that the Ewoks are more annoying than the love scenes in AOTC. :p

TPM - Sorry, I tried.. but I hate, hate, HATE Jar Jar and the Gungans. However, Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Darth Maul duel was top notch and Liam Neeson was brilliant in the film.

As for Ep. III, I'm predicting a No. 1 or 2 slot. ;)

24. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    <---guessing it'll be "number two" [face_mischief]

Then again, it has the potential to be good, since Lucas is trying to connect it to the OT. ;)

25. anakinsrightarm

anakinsrightarm Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I've liked both PTs better than all but one of the OTs. I rank them as follows:

1. ESB (*****)
    2. AOTC (*****)
    3. TPM (**** 1/2)
    4. ANH (**** 1/2)
    5. ROTJ (*** 1/2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.