main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fans who grew up with the OT-Do any of you actually prefer the PT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IKilledSifo-Dyas, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I'm a fan who grew up with the Original Trilogy. I find both the Original Trilogy and the Prequel Trilogy to be fully and equally enjoyable.

STAR WARS is a great saga.

2. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Born in '68, grew up with the OT, but I like the PT better. I was always more interested in what went down between Obi-Wan and Vader (or as we later found out, Anakin) then in what was going on in the OT. I think people who liked Luke better than Han tend to appreciate the PT more. Han fans can't get into it because there is no Han-like character. But as fun as Han is, I'm glad Lucas didn't go to the well and just hack out another character of this type. I still love the OT, though. I just love the PT a bot more.

I rank 'em:

AOTC
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM
    ESB

3. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    I don't think ANY movies will EVER equal ANH, TESB or Raiders of the Lost Ark, since I can't be a kid again.

I think the prequels are WAY better than ROTJ.

Here's how I rank them:

ANH
    TESB
    AOTC
    TPM
    ROTJ

4. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I've had the priviledge of seeing each Star Wars film on its first theatrical run, though I was quite young when A New Hope was first released. That said, I've enjoyed every film equally. Frankly, I don't see this gulf that supposedly seperates the older films from the new ones.

5. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Read my signature and you'll know how I feel.
    :cool:

6. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Also got to see ever SW movie during it's original theatrical run- PT will never match the OT,their just better thought out movies. And I'm judging them as films, not just SW films, so no rose tinted glasses.
    I enjoyed AOTC in concept if not compleately in execution. (TPM is so very bad as a whole, but has some nice touches, that would have worked beautifully in a good movie).
    I refuse to join the bandwagon that says their all equal, don't begrudge anyone else thinking that, your choice, but I don't wear invisible clothes, no matter how many people say they look good.

Sorry, there is a quality gulf and that's how I see it,honest injun. You asked, I was honest

Yours
    SHB JR

7. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    I grew up with the OT seeing them in the movies and all that. I don't think nothing could ever match that feeling of seeing ANH (or just Star Wars at the time) when you're a kid. At least for me. My kid (named Anakin) sees TPM that way and seems to like the PT over the OT, although he loves Vader and the Wampa (and thinks the "bumble" from Rudolph is also the Wampa).

ANYWAY, I personally don't think the new stuff measures up, but I think that's to be expected as we aren't looking at them through a kid's eyes. I always thought of Luke as "one of us", as in he represents a normal person who goes on to acheive great things. We get to follow that story as he grows in his discovery. In the PT, we follow Anakin (more or less), but he's been touted as "the chosen one". Well, that means he's supposed (destined) to do all this stuff... that kinda makes it hard to relate to (from a kid's perspective). I think that and what Mark Hamill said (about there not being a sarcastic "Han" type character). Sorry to be long-winded.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I grew up with the original trilogy and I think they are great. But after four years of fencing and kendo, I could easily defeat any of the Jedi/Sith in the OT. TPM was good, the saber fight in that movie was the best one of the saga for the time being. AOTC was cool and in my opinion on par with any of the originals. Clonetroopers rule all. I have a feeling that EPIII will be the best if it as dark and depressing as I hope it will be...
    1. ESB
    2. AOTC
    3. AHN
    4. ROTC
    5. TPM (#1 saber fight though)

9. SteelDog

SteelDog Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2003
    Its hard for me. I grew up on the original and loved them. ESB was my favorite. I actually love RTOJ as well. I know it had teddy bears. lol. However, when it came out I was in the teddy bear lovin stage. lol.

Now that movie just seems to have some sentimental value for me because of that reason. I have always thought that ANH dragged a little.

The original movies did have some bad dialogue. Even critics during that time blasted the 3 movies for having poor dialogue and some bad acting.

However, the original movies were saved by a few good actors with great comic timing. The humor was much better in the originals.

Having said that AOTC i think is tied for my favorite. I loved that movie. There was nothing like seeing all the Jedi in action.

So the trilogies are about even so far for me. If the last movie meets expectation then I think the edge will go to the new trilogy.

In the end though, when I sit down and watch all 6 movies during a DVD fest I will probably like so many others view it as one dang long and awesome story.

10. edwardowan

edwardowan Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2004
    Hello all, I'm new here. I'm thirty six and still remember walking out of the theater in 1977 after seeing Star Wars (a new hope to you second gen kids! haha!) and I felt like I was transported to that universe and came back to tell about it. It affected everything I did from that day on. My artwork, playing and collecting. I could spot the words "Star Wars" in a newspaper from 10 feet away! I was attuned to my own force! The first film will always be the "best" to me since it started it all but the Empire Strikes Back is probably my number one for all the reasons others have posted here. Return of the Jedi felt like a big muppet movie to me but then I was a junior in High School at that point and I was very critical. I was still very excited about the film and totally enjoyed it but felt let down that puppets replaced stop motion animation.... I was sad after Jedi because the trilogy and my whole world was over. (at that point the prequels were a pipe dream and no one thought they would ever really be done.) I put all my collection away or sold it and went on with my life with maybe a glance at the magazines from time to time or went to re-releases but it wasn't there for me anymore. I even burned myself out on starwars when they were made available on video.
    The special editions brought back the spark for a while and the realization that the prequels were indeed going to happen brought that child out of me again.
    It wasn't the same but maybe only because I couldn't justify buying collectibles again or running around the neighborhood with a lightsaber. (would be carted off in a straight jacket if caught!) The prequels are superior only in special effects. I do love that we are getting the back story and new characters and vehicles etc but it seems to be missing "the edge." and seems to be a big cartoon now. If the CGI technology was available for Jedi to give the ewoks their original Joe Johnston/ Ralph McQuarrie design (Chinchillas with stick chicken legs) I think I would have enjoyed it better. (Thank goodness the Special edition of Jedi got rid of that stoopid Jubb Jubb ewok song and replaced it with something more ethereal.) Seeing Coruscant and the Emperor's Statue get pulled down gave us a preview of what was yet to come for the prequels and that was worth sitting through Jedi one more time at the theaters for! For now I avoid watching any of the films because I am burned out and have been for over a decade. I eagerly await Episode 3 and when it is out on dvd I will do a marathon and watch them all... by then all the films will be fresh for me and will bring back the magic. so what I am saying is nostalgia and sentimentality makes me prefer the OT. It was cutting edge and original at the time and cutting edge special effects. Heck Empire still holds up even today!
    We are very lucky that George Lucas is even doing these prequels no matter how we feel about them. I like them but I don't see kids outside playing young obi wan and making their own lightsabres and blasters like I did when I was 10 years old. But then I didn't have playstation or PC games like those available today! Glad I didn't... I would never have left the house.
    Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    (have a feeling Epi 3 will go here)
    Attack of the Clones
    Return of the Jedi
    Phantom Menace

11. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I've always loved StarWars, even way before the prequels. To me they are very different and it's hard to rate the prequels vs. the originals. It's all SW.

Here's how I rank them.

1. RETURN OF THE JEDI
    2. ATTACK OF THE CLONES
    3. THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    4. A NEW HOPE
    5. THE PHANTOM MENACE.

I'm not sure where Episode III will rank once I've seen it.

But it's all SW to me.

12. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    I love them all, for different reason. To me it is one long saga.

I am 34 and was at the theatre to see ANH in 77. I fell in love instantly. Fast Forward to TPM and I was still just as big of a fan and enjoyed the movie as much, but differently because I could see the saga from an adult (and much deeper) POV than as a kid where I loved the action and the story and effects (and Han).

Now I see that same wide eyed awe in my son when he watches the movies. He was with me for both TPM and AOTC, and we will be in line for EPIII. I don't understand the PT bashers at all.

13. JMax

JMax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    Great - no one has my rankings. I'm 28 yrs old and grew up watching ANH on cable over and over and over and over again. ESB - the coolest thing on the screen until Jurassic Park came out with giant dinos were the Imperial Walkers. ANH had all the elements of a great western/Indiana Jones-type movie. Hence, it is:

1) ANH
    2) ESB
    3) TPM
    4) AOTC
    5) ROTJ

Like others here mentioned, the politics and arc of the stories is built different for the prequels. And I enjoy that much more. I enjoyed TPM more than AOTC. I see AOTC every day on HBO but it doesn't help me enjoy the movie that much more. Obi Wan's solo scenes are great in AOTC but Palp has a much smaller role than in TPM.... which is why I give the edge to TPM. You also see directly the rumblings in the Jedi Order with Qui Gonn. You only "hear" about Count Dooku formerly being of the order.

ROTJ did introduce much better space battle scenes that wouldn't be matched until Independence Day and Jabba's sequence was great... but otherwise lifeless for me.

14. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    ESB-ANH (can't choose love both so much)
    TPM
    ROTJ
    AOTC - Very hard decision.

I think however, by Ep. III, we'll have many more "returning" SW fans who believe they are disenchanted.

I think Ep. III will top my list and more importantly no ranking, while it settles in. Its all SW really. Nothing is greater to me, moviewise of course.

15. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I like the PT and the OT both equally, and I grew up watching the OT religiously.

They all have the same faults, some people just can't see that.

16. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    I was born in 75, so I'm not over 30... not yet... but I do count myself as an original fan!

To me, the key to enjoying Star Wars is really trying to see the entire saga as one story, rather than splitting it into two trilogies. The irony is that doing this actually allows you to see each episode more objectively, and you can start to appreciate the gradual development of the overall story and the subtleties of each chapter.

If you try to assess each film (or trilogy) as a stand alone entity, then you inevitably end up making comparisons, and that isn't really healthy in a film series like this. It's OK to compare different stories, such as comparing LOTR with SW, because you can prefer one story to the other. But comparing different parts of a single story is pointless.

That said, we're all guilty of making these comparisons, and we're regularly forced to give an opinion of the prequel films as a separate entity because of the way they have been singled out for attack! So I will give my opinion, and that is that the PT films are equally great (of course), and while the OT films do have a different nostalgic value for me, I know that doesn't make them better.

None of the Star Wars films are perfect examples of film-making - but Star Wars as a whole is perfect. (Add "discuss" and you've got a great essay title... hmmm... perhaps it would make a good thread...)

17. JMax

Apr 21, 2003
    I think if I was younger I would dislike TPM much more due to how much slower it is... but having grown up on the OT it makes TPM much more interesting.

18. JMax

Apr 21, 2003

IMBD fans rate the movies as such in the Top 250 movies of all time:

#10 Star Wars
    #15 Empire
    #129 Return of the Jedi

AOTC probably is around #400 and the TPM much farther down the line.

Go figure.

But, I present this with a grain of salt. The LOTR movies are #4, #5 and #7. They weren't that special.

19. point5pastlightspeed

point5pastlightspeed Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    I saw the OT for the first time in 1995, and I watched it at least a hundred times over the next few years before TPM was released. I prefer the OT, but the PT is pretty good too. Here's my order of the movies so far:

ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ
    AOTC
    TPM

I expect episode 3 will probably be higher than AOTC on the list, but I guess only time will tell.

20. ShapelessPriest

ShapelessPriest Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2004
    Wow I'm tired. I'm going to come back and post in this thread tomarrow.

21. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I saw Return of the Jedi when it hit theaters in 1983 and was impressed even though I was only six or seven years of age. But nothing could have blown me away more when I got to see The Phantom Meance in 1999. That made me a Star Wars fanatic and now I too love the prequels over the original series. I love seeing how things went before the time of Luke, Han and Leia. For me there is more excitement in the new films as they are made for our day and in one sense cannot really be compared to the older episodes. Different times and all that jazz. So yes I like them.

22. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Star Wars was the First Movie I ever Saw in the Theater... ANd I saw Empire Over and over agin when I was but Five years old... All My toys and even Bedsheets were Star Wars Based so I definately grew up on OT. I will be 28 years old Next Month.

My Rankings:
    #1 ESB
    #2 AOTC
    #3 TPM/ROTJ (Depending on the day)
    #4 ROTJ/TPM (Depending on the day)
    #5 ANH

A New Hope is Classic, but probably my least favorite in Retrospect. I know it was the first... but it seems to be the one with the continuity problems. It was Designed to Stand alone... And the Galaxy isn't as rich yet. Still the five of them combined are by Far my favorite movies of all time.

23. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Nobody has my exact rankings, although LottDodd is close. I am a pretty peculiar SW fan, as I have no particular 'hook'. Some people were crazy the first time they ever saw the star destroyer thundering overhead, or the first time they saw the cantina scene. I don't have anything similar to that.

I'm 17 now, and before TPM came out I'd seen ANH, TESB, and ROTJ a couple times each and thought they were pretty cool. My order was:

1) ROTJ
    2) TESB
    3) ANH

A few random thoughts I had: TESB seemed like the odd one out since it was the one without the DS, the Emperor scared the bejesus out of me, Han and Chewie were my favorite characters.

I must have been living under a rock somewhere, because I didn't even get a tiny hint of the hype for Episode I. I remember the day after TPM came out when my dad said "Tomorrow we're going to see the new Star Wars movie" and my thinking "Cool! It's out already? What's it called again?"

So, I knew nothing. No trailers, no spoilers, no official licensed merchandise. Afterwards, I thought it was pretty cool (but not necessarily as good as the others), and after the VHS came out my order was this:

1) TESB
    2) ANH
    3) TPM
    4) ROTJ

Yes, I realize that ROTJ did a 180 for me. But hey, I was 13 and ewoks just weren't cool (many would argue that they still aren't). What can I say, it was a dark time.

Sometime between TPM and AOTC, the casual fan in me transformed into a diehard, and I really don't know exactly how or when. I started devouring spoilers for AOTC everywhere I could find, and my whole freshman year of high school I anxiously awaited May 16, 2002. That day (as well as May 3-5, when Celebration II was held I believe) will stick out in my mind forever. While I've been looking forward to Episode III for the past year and a half like everybody else, I doubt it will ever have the same nostalgic power over me that AOTC does. It was the first time for me, when a movie could be more than just a 2 hour experience in a dark theater. AOTC is my ANH.

Current rankings:

1) AOTC
    2) TESB
    3) ROTJ
    4) TPM
    5) ANH

Episode III to be determined.

24. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I really don't like one more than the other. But I do enjoy the prequels thus far.

25. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I don't know if I'd say that I prefer the prequels over the OT. But I have really enjoyed them so far. And I do tend to watch them more than the OT - but mostly because I've seen the OT so many times. I think the prequels are as good as the OT though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.