main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantastic Four Movies - ***Spoilers Inside***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/jedimasterronoc/fantastic4.jpg]

this thread is to discuss the Fantastic Four movies. the first one came out July 8th, 2005. Fantastic Four 2 is due out July 4th, 2007. now the first one did good at the box office. it made about $154,696,080 domestically and $174,906,311 internationally for a world wide total of $329,602,391. overall the critics didn't like it. with it's box office total i would hardly call it a failure. it wasn't the greatest comic book movie ever but it was a fun movie to watch. i think it suffered because people expected it to be a somewhat dark and serious movie like batman or spiderman. the fantastic four are actually supposed to be light hearted and funny which i sort of liked as a change.

all main cast members are returning for the sequel. here is a link to a recent interview with Tim Story.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=236

While at the Four Seasons in Los Angeles I ran into Tim Story, the director of the Fantastic Four and as you know by now he will also be directing the upcoming sequel Fantastic Four 2. Once I saw him I just yelled it out to him "Tim what's up man? We seeing the Puppet Master in Fantastic Four 2?, which of course he laughed it off and just said, "I can't tell you" (Laughs)

I ended up chatting with him for like 5 mintues or so and of course I had to go around the question regarding the Puppet Master like is Kerry Washington going to be in the sequel, "Kerry will have a larger role in the sequel" Story said. So who knows maybe that means that yes we will see the Puppet Master as the villain for the sequel, or maybe we will see more of Kerry Washington as the blind love interest to Ben Grimm's aka THE THING, since that's how they left it off in the first film. Kerry Washington plays Alicia Masters, who is the daughter to the Puppet Master.

Before I hopped on my ride to the airport back to NYC I asked him when does shooting start, Story replies, "August 1st up in Vancouver" And finally I asked Story that towards the end of the first film, it left it wide open that Doom will be back, so will he? "Yes that I can tell you. He will be back in full DOOM, not like we had him in the first film"

Fantastic Four 2 is scheduled to be released in July 4th 2007.

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    While this movie was pretty entertaining overall, I'm not sure if the sequel will draw as much of a crowd because (like you said) I always saw these stories as more lighthearted than the film made them out to be. Nevertheless I'll probably see the second one if only to see what they let Doom unleash. ;)

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    After watching the awful trailers, I passed this one... Maybe a friend of mine will get a copy and then I'll watch it.

4. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I finally watched it the other night on DVD. It was not as bad as I expected, but it wasn't that interesting either. I agree it was pretty lightweight but I don't consider that a good thing. I say watch the start and the last 15 minutes inbetween you're not missing much.

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I liked it. I wasn't expecting Batman Begins caliber and was mainly going to see Jessica Alba as Invisible Woman. Hopefully the next villain will be the Moleman no it's not the reason I chose this username. [face_mischief] :p

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Tim Story has said the villains are going to be Puppet Master and Doom

7. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I'm really looking forward to a sequel, actually. I wasn't blown away by the original, and there are certainly a lot of comic book movies I think are better than this one, but it was fun. The fact that it was almost entirely setup means that they can really devote a huge amount of time to just the plot of the second film in the sequel and not have to deal with very much exposition at all (except maybe for any new villains).

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the only villain they'd have to do some origin work w/ is puppetmaster. although i'm not that familiary w/ him. can someone tell me about him?

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Here is the Wiki article on him.

Thats probably the best use I've found yet for Wiki. Any obscure comic character you ever wanted to know about is there.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    thanx :)

11. Jedi_Jack_Bauer

Jedi_Jack_Bauer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 2, 2006
    My Favorite Superhero movie ever. I loved the sense of humor and how it didn't take itself seriously.

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    although it wasn't my favorite comic book movie i did like how everone was lighthearted and didn't take everything serious.

by the way i like your user name Jedi_Jack_Bauer

13. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I dislikes Fantastic Four the movie, specially the final fight, they beat Doom in like 15 seconds.

-The Scummy-

14. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I think a sequel might be interesting. As long as it has a good plot. The last film's plot got lost in the scenes where they were exploring their new powers I felt. It was way over done.

15. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    now they are saying that the baddies might be Silver Surfer and Galactus

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. this is getting confusing. here's an article about that

http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=3822

17. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Well, there was that one time in the comics when Dr. Doom stole the Silver Surfer's powers. [face_thinking]

But that plot is probably too complicated to work into a single movie.

18. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I'd be amazed if we ever saw Galactus on the big screen, that might just be a little to crazy. Although I think Silver Surfer could maybe work if handled well.

I enjoyed the first FF movie, its not the best Superhero movie out there (Spider-Man 2 is!) but its entertaining, I think the critics were much to harsh on it and I'm glad it did well at the box office (similar to X-Men's numbers really, which is a good thing). Johnny and the Thing were both done really well (although I think Thing would have been better as CG), Reed and Sue were ok, Doom was the only real weak link as he wasn't close enough to his comic counterpart, but maybe with them sending him to Latveria that can change in the sequel.

19. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    They tottally destroyed the Fantatsic fours origin. I proeberly wait to see2 when it gets to DVD like i did the first one. Moleman would be sweet as a villian though.

20. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    I really enjoyed Fan 4. I'm suprised that not many people where I live didn't enjoy it. And it helped that they got Chris Evans as Torch [face_batting]

Overall they had a great cast. And for Julian to play the evil villian; perfect. I hadn't really known much about the Fan 4 but as a kid, my dad really enjoyed it so I was hoping the movie would be as good as he thought which it was.

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    best casting was Chris Evans as Johnny Storm and Michael Chiklis has Ben Grimm. i wish they went w/ someone w/ a strong eastern european accent for doom

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Apparently there is a casting call out for Fantastic Four 2 right now. Superherohype has a copy of it and apparently the next movie will feature Silver Surfer and Galactus!

23. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Should be fun to see how they use the new characters - in my head I see silver surfer being like the liquid metal figure from T2 but we'll have to wait and see if that's what they go with. :)

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i wouldn't be surprised if they went w/ that route

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Jessica Alba on Changes in Fantastic Four 2

Jessica Alba tells MTV that there will be some changes in the Fantastic Four sequel, which begins filming soon.

"We're making the right changes," Alba said, responding to detractors of the first flick. "It's gonna be an amped-up version, this next one. It's gonna be faster, and it's gonna be a more intense story line that kind of references the comic a bit more." All the major stars from the first film are set to return and, Alba said, the heroes might finally get their famously pimped-out flying vehicle from the comics. "Maybe [we'll have] the Fantastic Car," the actress said, "which I'm excited about."

Fantastic Four 2 is scheduled for a July 4, 2007 release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.