main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FANTASY BATTLES

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by lordhaze, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordhaze

lordhaze Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2006
    HI GUYS,:)

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF:-
    http://cooltopten-fantasybattles.blogspot.com

Is it something fresh or have you seen it all before.

please be honest .

any tips?

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Hmm, personally I'm having a hard time reading some of the information due to the colors and number of items you have on each page. If there was a way to clear some of the clutter and perhaps keep things more uniform I bet it'd do wonders for the site as a whole. :)

Hope that helps!

3. lordhaze

Jun 18, 2006
    thanks man,

do you think i should space it out more and change the background colour?

4. Cpt_Obvious

Cpt_Obvious Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    Honestly?

here's a good point.

Content.

The layout is what bothers me, but it is because it is a blog so the order you post it is the order that it will appear. The font sizes are different in some of the same blog posts and some are bold and the others are not. Some of the words start next to the pics while others are separate. I think that was due to not having a <br> after the code to post the pic.

As far as the color scheme goes, it is ok, but when you look at some of the darker pics, they don't stand out at all. Maybe you should try a lighter background color like a slate or a medium grey. That should also keep your letters from blurring as bad as they do right now as well.

5. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I think for me personally it was the black background with all the content spaced so closely together that made it a little hard to look at. Any way to break up the background and/or space things a little more would help I think. :)

Good luck!

6. lordhaze

Jun 18, 2006
    i HAVE UPDATED this site with the suggestions you guys have said .
    please let me know if you think it is any better now.

I am proud of the darth vader vs pinhead story.

please be honest:) i can take it.

7. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    This is a very cool string of fan fiction in concept. This reminds me of Wizard Magazine, when they used to set matchups and then have a paragraph or two explaining the fight and who would win. I can see a lot of people getting into this sort of thing, so good job finding a niche that wasnt yet explored in star wars. Unfortunately its not my cup of tea personally, im not at all into horror films or the characters that spawn them into franchises. But I wish you well.

In terms of the site and layout itself? Its pretty unprofessional. There is just a LOT going on, and im looking at the cleaned up version. Boxing out the right hand column of junk with some kind of uniform background iti s all set inside, and boxing out the invidual stories might help lend some structure to the page. Right now it just looks like text all over the place with random videos or images. It has a very cluttered feel. So you either need to find a fan willing to help you with your html, or learn some more yourself. Thats ok though, because your talent obviously lies in the writing of fan fic, and that is what you want to showcase. My advice is to find a site layout that does showcase the fan fic. Strip down anything and everything else. Dont worry about getting fancy and focus on being simple and direct on the page. If its not a fan fic, a title for the fan fic, or a picture that enhances the fan fic, it probably shouldnt be on screen, as much as possible.

Anyway, Im very happy to just finally see a site doing something other than a forum. So kudos to you for that! Best of luck with your endeavor!

Keith "Nar" Kappel
    http://www.fandomcomics.com

8. lordhaze

Jun 18, 2006
    hi there ,:)
    That really was helpfull to me and I totally agree with the points you have raised.html and layout is not my strong point , but I really do enjoy putting the battles together.I do find it a bit hard using blogger to get the spacing right , because if you go to far across the page it seems to put the sidebar to the bottom.I do agree that i need to tidy it up even further and make it not so confusing to the visitor , i think the simpler the better.You really have been very helpfull with your comments and I will repost the url when I have cleaned the site up some more to seek your opinions.Thankyou so much for your honest and very helpfull suggestions.
    best wishes
    lordhaze

9. lordhaze

Jun 18, 2006
    I would appreciate if someone would like to help me with my site:-
    I need some help with html and spacing issues.
    pleaase reply to this if you could help,I enjoy writing fan fic ,but html isnt my strong point.
    best wishes

10. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I don't know anything really about html, but I wanted to comment for the site itself. I think the lay out is very nice, it's a tad on the dark side of things though. That's not a bad thing really as I find it is easy to read the material on your site because of it. I wish you luck. For someone who confesses not being good with html, your site is great in appearance.

11. lordhaze

Jun 18, 2006
    hi there, well thanks for checking my site out.I think since i posted I need help in here I got a new template and jiggled it around a little.A bit more luck that judgement really though :) .I,m glad you liked the site.If anyoe wopuld like to do a reciprical link or have got any suggestion to put on the site i would appreciate it.

best wishes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.